Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Buying a Fiat Peugeot or Citroen Motorhome

· 
Posted: 09.12.2011  ·  #1
If it is aged around 2007 and perhaps 2008 ?

Make sure the following work has been done or walk away.

OFFICIAL RECALLS
See the VOSA website:
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

Current recalls:
STEERING (lack of lubricant) - recall no. R/2007/153

REDUCED BRAKING PERFORMANCE (water ingress into vacuum servo pip related) - recall no. R/2007/059

TYRE VALVES (valve may break) - recall no. R/2007/150

BRAKES (brake hose manufacture) - recall no. R/2007/172

WINDSCREEN WIPERS (water ingress to wiper motor related) - recall no. R/2007/152

WATER INGRESS

fiat part number for the 2.2l cover is 55212592

Current Fiat fixes (not official recalls)
5209 - Gearbox bearing (3.0 litre only)?
5219 - Steering rack - I think this is a check the seals and regrease
5220 - Starter motor???
5221 - Corroding injectors - some 'stuff' is applied to remove the corrosion, and then Waxoyl is applied to stop it happening again
5222 - ABS cntrol unit cover
5223 - Front wiper cover
5247 - Fuel injection flash - a 'reprogramming' of the Engine Management System to stop a warning light coming on
5248 - Starter fuse - the fuse is being uprated
5251 - Power steering pipe - check fixing and relocate if necessary

BATTERY
Reports of engine battery becoming flat after only 2 days of non-use. Measurement show discharge of 0.4 Amps with all equipment turned off.

THUD ON STARTUP
When starting the engine, there is a solid 'thud' from underneath the cab. Suggestions are that it might be the exhaust pipe hitting something, or the engine mountings holding the engine too close to part of the chassis.

JUDDER IN REVERSE
When reversing up a slope, the whole van judders. People have tried many methods of reducing this, with differing driving styles. There has been a suggestion that the reverse gear is too high a ratio.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

Re: Buying a Fiat Peugeot or Citroen Motorhome

· 
Posted: 09.12.2011  ·  #2
How bad is the water ingress? have a look..

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.12.2011  ·  #3
the word is out on these vans and alot of people wont touch them ,buying ford renault etc which is affecting resale value i believe none of the motorhome magisines have picked up on this so whose side are they on <_<

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.12.2011  ·  #4
As always magazines are on the side of those that advertise with them. They know who butters their bread.

Yes it's well documented around the net, thousands of pages of people with problems and Fiat seem to be the worst offenders, basically ignoring most people by the sound of it, at least Peugeot acknowledged the problems and Citroen don't have as many problems from what I am reading.

The internet is a powerful thing and manufacturers should remember that when dealing with complaints, especially of this magnitude.

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2011  ·  #5
The problem is Fiat are by far the largest supplier of chassis, I had the previous model and water run into the engine bay, you would have thought they would have sorted it on the new model, seems like a lot of recalls, my experience with a new van sort of put me off, although that is what warranty is for it is still anoying, I have had fer less problems with used vans as the previous owner often has it all sorted out.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2011  ·  #6
Very true Willie.
I have been looking at new vans recently but am not keen on a Fait etc as there seem to be a few problems.
I am thinking of waiting and going for a Mercedes based van in a year or two.

I am sure all makes have their problems and the whole Fait thing is more widely know because there are a higher percentage of them on the road. If there were as many Renault based vans as Fait the stories would be about them I am sure.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2011  ·  #7
Quote by mark

I am sure all makes have their problems and the whole Fait thing is more widely know because there are a higher percentage of them on the road. If there were as many Renault based vans as Fait the stories would be about them I am sure.

You are right, but the sheer amount of problems with the Fiat is quite astounding. As you say all Vans have their issues but I don't think there is one with as many faults and with as big a reluctance to fix them as the Fiat.

No matter what I buy, I ring my mechanic first, he is able to tell me exactly what fails in each van/car, it has never been a list like the one above.

I have experienced everything in the list and it has put me of those years of Fiats, I will never buy another one of that age, even the fixes are not great with well documented problems even after the recalls. Although I am prepared to be proved wrong. It's a shame as they are lovely vans to drive.

Have been looking at Mercs and Volkswagens but they are hard to get, so if I don't get either of those two it will be a pre 2006 Fiat.

Volkswagens must be a lot smaller chasis as it is hard to get one that doesn't have a cramped bed above the cab and small living area.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2011  ·  #8
Ourast van was based on a 2003 boxer. It had no problems but was bloody thirsty

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2011  ·  #9
The Merc is a an option, but only available on the merc chassis as rear wheel drive, narrow track and no Alko option, means they do not drive nearly as well. though fantastic engine.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2011  ·  #10
Thanks Willie. I didn't know that they don't drive as well. I had noticed that any of the rapidos which ware based on Mercedes look like the wheels sit in further. I just put it down to the A class body Looking wider.

wayfarer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2011  ·  #11
Sorry guys but I would have to disagree. When I went looking to upgrade my van I looked at all the other options out there, Ford, merc etc so I went on the forums (or Fora) for all the different types and they all have their own list of snags and considering that about 90% of all campervans out there are based on Fiat chassis then of course you will have a lot more complaints. Having taken that into account I went with a 2.3 fiat Ducato. It handles better than my car and the mpg is great taking into account the type of driving I do in Europe. So far no snags (touch wood) and I've had it new since 09. I hope this helps anyone thinking of getting a van based on a Fiat.

:up:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2011  ·  #12
That's good to hear! perhaps it's only the vans built in 07? mine was 07 and had all the problems listed.

wayfarer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2011  ·  #13
Don't get me wrong Ally, I'm not saying that Fiat didn't have these snags because I have read about them too, its just that every van has their own list of problems as has every car. How many times have you been told don't buy that car or this car because it has so and so problems, if you were to listen to everyone you would end up walking. My advice buy what suits your needs and take best advice on the model. Fiat wouldn't have lasted this long if they were that bad.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2011  ·  #14
I get what you are saying and agree.

I don't think all Fiats are bad, my 2.8 2005 was great :)

My original post was don't buy one that age if the recalls are not done, and looking back that was the main problem with mine. Not one of the recalls or fixes had been done and as it was over 3 years old Fiat didn't want to know about fixing them. No recalls, no service history and loads of faults. I'm sure if whoever bought it new had took the time to get the work done it would of been a great van.

It was a lovely van to drive and and as you say easy on the juice! but when you lifted the bonnet there was to much to worry about for me to keep it.

Ed the Mohican

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2012  ·  #15
I had this water drainage problem on my 2000 Fiat as well. As a practical sort of guy I just found the lowest points on the plastic wiper tray above the bonnet and drilled a small hole each side into which i attached a plastic drain pipe down the engine bay!!! Het presto, 4 years later and still no water in engine bay!!!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.