Some interesting Facts and Figures AIRES REPORT NOW ADDED!!!

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Some interesting Facts and Figures AIRES REPORT NOW ADDED!!!

· 
Posted: 05.12.2011  ·  #1
Enterprise Trade and Investment
Caravan and Camping in NI 2010/11
Domestic Caravan and Motorhome Statisitics

Also Aires De Services Final Report!

Note to members, Please do not share this with other websites you must register on here to get the file so it's a chance for us to get more members on board. If you do post the file then please acknowledge MotorhomeCraic.com
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: Some interesting Facts and Figures

· 
Posted: 05.12.2011  ·  #2
Incredible figures, I would not have thought that Motorhomes were so popular.

Must surely make good ammunition for better 'Aires' type services.

The one thing I have noticed following other forums is that we dont have a 'Lead' body to represent us. I guess this is the nature of the individualism and free spirit of 'homers'. The commercial sites currently have a vested interest in making us all use expensive sites, and the big clubs (CC andC&CC) are big site owners across the water.

What we need is an umbrella organisation to talk on our behalf, who can lobby for, or administer a network of cl's cs's etc. Given the model of our various clubs using schools and clubs, there must be an opening for rugby clubs, GAA, football clubs and individual schools to provide basic overnight Aires services for a small payment, but on a more casual basis than rallies.

The figures would be very persuasive surely if the potential income to an area was measured, The amount of money going into Portrush schools and shops for instance from the Three big clubs must be very attractive and must represent a substantial amount that would not otherwise be available to the local economy.

Davy

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2011  ·  #3
All the more reason for casual Aires of the type that I mentioned earlier to absorb lots of vans for those who find commercial sites too expensive for what we need, and those who do not fancy the perceived risk of wild camping.

Last year we stayed on an aire near Quiberon which was a small village community hall and football pitch with a car park not used overnight. we paid 3euro and had water and drainage (both types) and the community got free overnight security and made a few bob for the village.

We need an organisation to lobby and negotiate for a similar network.

This in turn would help our relation ship with the public, landowners, councils, etc

Davy

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Some interesting Facts and Figures

· 
Posted: 05.12.2011  ·  #4
The Motorhome Association was formed to lobby for the motorhome owners in Ireland and helped bring us to the attention of the Government this in turn lead to the survey having been carried out, and the ongoing develoment and rollout of Aires, however there are still laws that have to be changed and ajusted to cope with this " neglected form of tourism". we know this will take time and there is opposition from certain narrowminded campsite owners, but some understand that we rarely need full campsite facilities and usually only stop for a night or two at the most, until we get the urge to move.
The best way to encourage motorhome owners to use a campsite is to have a safe stopover area at a low cost as an alternative to a full pitch this could be done easily under the current planning regulations

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2011  ·  #5
Quote by willie

we know this will take time and there is opposition from certain narrowminded campsite owners,

You see this aggravates me as I'm sure it does others, when were campsite owners given the Monopoly on camping? It's the same sort of small mindedness that stops Motorhomes from being able to visit an area, all business come up against competition at some time, I can't understand why campsite owners are even in the equation.

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2011  ·  #6
the whole object of motorhoming is the freedom.
we dont need a thirty pound a night caravan park,we just need somewhere to park.

just waiting on confirmation to release a report which really gives us hope for aires etc.

i use a local pub for a stopover,usualy go with my brother in law and his wife,
2 vans, meal drinks, usual bill about 80/100 quid, not bad for using two car parking spaces!

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2011  ·  #7
Quote by willie

The Motorhome Association was formed to lobby for the motorhome owners in Ireland and helped bring us to the attention of the Government this in turn lead to the survey having been carried out, and the ongoing develoment and rollout of Aires, however there are still laws that have to be changed and ajusted to cope with this " neglected form of tourism". we know this will take time and there is opposition from certain narrowminded campsite owners, but some understand that we rarely need full campsite facilities and usually only stop for a night or two at the most, until we get the urge to move.
The best way to encourage motorhome owners to use a campsite is to have a safe stopover area at a low cost as an alternative to a full pitch this could be done easily under the current planning regulations

Aire type facilities, as found in France etc, are NOT camping facilities they are simply parking facilities, sometimes reserved for the exclusive use of motorhomes but not always.
As mentioned above they can be found in public parking area of all descriptions, municipal facilities parking areas and off-street parking.
As such once the place used already has the appropriate official permissions to be used as a 'car park' no further permissions are required.
Remember, a motorhome parked in a 'car park' overnight has the same legal status and can only be subjected to the same regulations as applies to any other private passenger vehicle parked there. Any regulations discriminating against motorhomes can only relate to the physical characteristics of the vehicle, for example if the surface of the area could be damaged 'heavy' vehicles a weight limit could justifiable be enforced. If the conduct of the occupants is offensive to litter laws for example then prosecution of the individuals is justified but not sanctions against the vehicle itself which the offenders are using, for example if exceeding the speed limit the offence is committed by the driver not the vehicle.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2011  ·  #8
Quote by Bob

the whole object of motorhoming is the freedom.
we dont need a thirty pound a night caravan park,we just need somewhere to park.

Exactly, which brings back the old question, if my vehicle is taxed, insured and mot'd why can I not park it where I want, as long as it is not causing an obstruction and not inconveniencing other road users.

When are you parking and when are you camping.

Quote by Bob

just waiting on confirmation to release a report which really gives us hope for aires etc.

Oh sounds good! :up:

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2011  ·  #9
Quote by Ally

................ When are you parking and when are you camping...........

A motorhome is 'parked'
When it is taking up no more space than when it is being driven, no awning out, no outwards opening windows open.
When no 'camping' equipment (tables, chairs etc.) has been put out and no washing out to dry.
When no stabiliser have been deployed.
When no external tanks are put out.
Basically the vehicle is in the condition that it can be driven away without the need to put equipment away, just like a private car.
The only exception is chocks or levelling blocks which can by used for safety reasons.
If any of the above are not observed then a motorhome can be considered as 'camped'

See signs below, one from France the other from Germany
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2011  ·  #10
Quote by baguette

A motorhome is 'parked' .... (edit)

Great info.

But that brings me to another question :)

The parking signs for instance the ones that have been installed in Portrush "no sleeping overnight" or words to that affect. If you are not "camped" but "parked" going by your guide above, but are sleeping, are you still therefore camped or parked?

Has anyone ever challenged these signs? has it ever went as far as a court case?

If you are sleeping and they knock your door to move you on, you have to wake up to answer the door, so how do they prove you were sleeping, and if you don't answer the door, who can say you were even in there in the first place? :)

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2011  ·  #11
Quote by Ally
.............. If you are sleeping and they knock your door to move you on, you have to wake up to answer the door, so how do they prove you were sleeping, and if you don't answer the door, who can say you were even in there in the first place? :)
:up: :up:

So, as you say how can 'they' prove you were sleeping, you might have been reclining and reading a book,on the bed, in you jammies for comfort.

And, what about a person in a 'car' having a sleep after too much drink or just having a nap for safety sake as we are advised to do if feeling a bit knackered.

It's really about time the authorities provided proper official overnight parking for motorhome tourists and stopped faffing around with silly half baked regulations in an attempt discriminate against us.
Or else opened value priced municipal sites everywhere, like in France. Some chance :-)

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Some interesting Facts

· 
Posted: 06.12.2011  ·  #12
Apparently the "No Overnight Parking" Notices erected in Scotland are not enforceable in law and are advisory designed to discourage overnight parking to keep lay-bys clear for use of passing motorists, A spokesman for Transport Scotland said, he also comfirmed that motorists who disobey the signswould not face punishment, but to disobey the signs would show a lack of courtesy to other road users.
I would think the same is possibly true here in Ireland,though it is difficult to get clarity on this.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2011  ·  #13
Thought as Much Willie. Think I might put it to the test to find out, but I think loads do that every weekend in Portrush and many other places.

The guides that are shown in the above Photos of Aires, of when you are camped or parked, they work on the continent, but is this a recognised law or guide in the UK and Ireland? is this written down in some Rules of the Road? or are we assuming it is as that's how they do it in France?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2011  ·  #14
Quote by Ally
........... The guides that are shown in the above Photos of Aires, of when you are camped or parked, they work on the continent, but is this a recognised law or guide in the UK and Ireland? is this written down in some Rules of the Road? or are we assuming it is as that's how they do it in France?

On the French sign there is reference to arrétés municipal (by-laws) No. 2008.494 and 2008.646 which would appear to make the instructions on the sign legally enforceable.

There should be no good reason why similar by-laws cannot be enacted here under existing parking regulations to control the conditions under which parking of motorhomes is allowed. After all the concept or definition of what constitutes a legally parked vehicle must be well understood and set down in various laws and regulations, is it not a vehicle temporarily halted, as for example outside the house or in the long-term car-park at the airport etc. etc. etc.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2011  ·  #15
Quote by baguette

There should be no good reason why similar by-laws cannot be enacted here under existing parking regulations to control the conditions under which parking of motorhomes is allowed.

Agreed :up: was just wondering if they had been or is it part of the ongoing campaign the likes of the Motorhome Association are running.

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2011  ·  #16
the signs erected in portrush/portbalallantrae and similar car parks on north coast are not enforcable.
they are not signed by clerk of council etc and were put up privately.

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2011  ·  #17
this may change minds !!

ally post the report, wont let me do it,says its too large.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2011  ·  #18
Quote by Bob

this may change minds !!

ally post the report, wont let me do it,says its too large.

Your wish is my command. :D

Have fun reading that folks!! concerns everyone all over Ireland!!

Note to members, Please do not share this with other websites you must register on here to get the file so it's a chance for us to get more members on board.

Report available on Page One.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Re: Some interesting Facts and Figures AIRES REPORT NOW ADDED!!!

· 
Posted: 07.12.2011  ·  #19
I am in receipt of the report since 3rd. week in October and have had time to digest its contents. FWIW below is my opinion on the report.

The document contains errors and omissions which may be accounted for due to it having been prepared based on much information drawn on "desk research (websites and literature) and anecdotal evidence" .

The document highlights some perceived difficulties and negative impacts on operators of camping sites which would not withstand an informed argument.
The document contains some observations and recommendations which would indicate that the author has had little if any experience of touring Europe in a motorhome and has perhaps failed to interpret correctly contributions of stakeholders representative of motorhome users.

All in all I personally have grave reservations that the document will serve our requirements well and it may in fact result in further studies to investigate further some of the negative impacts quoted in respect of camp-sites, for example "There is a possibility that the provision of Aires de Service sites could displace business from existing touring caravan sites"
In the meantime councils who choose to do so can 'kick the can further down the road' :(

I would advise all to read the document in full before concluding whether it is friendly or covertly hostile to motorhomers.

Davidod
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Itineo FB650
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X250
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2011  ·  #20
I brilliant report, certainly the first of it's kind. It can only do good.

One point though. There seems to be only scant reference to the co-existence of Campsites and Aires. As I see it, most campsites are located beyond a reasonable walking distance from a town or village and as such should not really be too concerned about such a provision at the edge these towns or villages. However some campsite owners do seem to have a significant clout when it comes to discussing providing these facilities.

Just read Baguette's comments above which came in while I was reading the report having just downloaded it.

I will be reading it further of course but on balance I think that the thrust of my points do not wildly differ from yours.

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2011  ·  #21
you have summed it up.
able to park quite close to a town or village makes sense for traders.

we need to get more facts figures collated.
email your figures to butterfly_2412@hotmail.com

eg,
1 x van at broughshane
food and drink £xxx
shopping £xxx

that way we can show proper usage instead of relying on third party info.

just when your away for a night or trip make a wee note of your spend,no receipts etc just a rough total , lets help push this along.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2011  ·  #22
Viktor
Full Member - Likes the Underworld film series
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2011  ·  #23
At the time of posting this I haven't read the report as yet....however I have a close relative who is a MLA and he is already
aware of 'Brit Stops', it's aims and benefits, and is in possession of a 2011 handbook courtesy of Steve from Brit Stops. He
is making other relevant parties aware of the scheme and hopes that it will lead to more provision of Aires and a change of
attitude towards MH owners in relation to tourism and income for the NI economy.

It will probably take a while for attitudes to change as great damage has been done by the travellers invading any space
they seem to be able to set site on which has led to the increase in the 2.0 M barriers everywhere and the dumping of
stone barriers across many possible Wild Camping spots by local landowners...and I can't say I really blame them as most
town and villages have had problems within the last few years, Downpatrick, Comber and Dundonald are three I can think
of immediately.

I'll peruse the report and if they are negatives raised I'll bring those to his attention so hopefully any erronous attitudes
can be in turn knocked on the head to a degree at least in some small way.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2011  ·  #24
Quote by mark

Far better setting up an online survey form for that type of info.

I agree, an online survey form is what is needed.

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2011  ·  #25
simple is best

it really is just to show an incrrease in takings when motorhomes use an area

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

facts and figures

· 
Posted: 09.12.2011  ·  #26
There is a recognised spend figure of just over £40 per night

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2011  ·  #27
£40
you obviously havent met my wife, hehehehehehe

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Facts and figures

· 
Posted: 09.12.2011  ·  #28
Sorry meant to say,recognised average spend, went to the sunflower bike race at Bishops Court, thought I would be safe there, no shops for miles, my wife managed to find the one and only stall, and find a fleece that was just what she had been looking for.

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2011  ·  #29
your wife and my wife must be sisters !

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

facts and figures

· 
Posted: 09.12.2011  ·  #30
Best be on our guard if they ever meet, must have some sort of homing devise to find a shop

digger
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Mirage 6000
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2011  ·  #31
What just one fleece!
you got off lightly :D

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.