CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Dunmore East Wild Camping Spot

· 
Posted: 05.08.2013  ·  #1
A motorhome owner parked next to me in Cobh told me he knows why it is closing down! I don't want to say what he said as it might be lies. So have any one any update??

sandy
Subject:

Dunmore East Parking

· 
Posted: 08.08.2013  ·  #2
Hi All
I was in Dunmore East last weekend and so were about 20+ other motorhomes and to my dismay but not surprise there is a big notice at the barrier/entrance to where we park our motorhomes at the top of the hill .
The notice says that the facility will be closed to motorhomes from the 12th August 2013. and signed on behalf of the Minister for fisheries Mr Coveney. It also states that there is a new site opened locally with a 100 spaces for motorhomes. Also beside the notice is a big hoarding advertising this new facility. Who is leading this closure?????

A few corrections regarding the minister for Fisheries notice.. The new site has only 31 sites open with planning permission for 41 and the notice states 100. Rumour around Dunmore East has it that his Planning permission season ends on 18 August 2013, so what will happen on the following weekend with the Bluegrass Festival on and the Hilltop closed and the other site with 31 spaces and no planning permission to open.

The traders at the harbour end of the village are totally against the closure

Are we going to take this situation lying down?

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Re: Dunmore East Parking

· 
Posted: 08.08.2013  ·  #3
Join with the traders when they are against it. At least that strengthens the cause.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2013  ·  #4
Quote by sandy

Hi All
I was in Dunmore East last weekend and so were about 20+ other motorhomes and to my dismay but not surprise there is a big notice at the barrier/entrance to where we park our motorhomes at the top of the hill .
The notice says that the facility will be closed to motorhomes from the 12th August 2013. and signed on behalf of the Minister for fisheries Mr Coveney. It also states that there is a new site opened locally with a 100 spaces for motorhomes. Also beside the notice is a big hoarding advertising this new facility. Who is leading this closure?????

A few corrections regarding the minister for Fisheries notice.. The new site has only 31 sites open with planning permission for 41 and the notice states 100. Rumour around Dunmore East has it that his Planning permission season ends on 18 August 2013, so what will happen on the following weekend with the Bluegrass Festival on and the Hilltop closed and the other site with 31 spaces and no planning permission to open.

The traders at the harbour end of the village are totally against the closure

Are we going to take this situation lying down?

When they say "new facility", is that the new Dunmore east Holiday park? http://www.dunmoreholiday.ie/

I take it you were previously parking for free with the 20 other motorhomes at "the top of the hill" by the harbour?

Quote by CHAUSSON

A motorhome owner parked next to me in Cobh told me he knows why it is closing down! I don't want to say what he said as it might be lies. So have any one any update??

I'd hazard a guess its because of -

http://www.dunmoreholiday.ie/

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Re: Dunmore East Wild Camping Spot

· 
Posted: 08.08.2013  ·  #5
That's exactly what he said io me Kevin!
And further to that he said he was a member of a club and they were planning a mass protest outside the site and he would have the media there to highlight the greed of private businessmen looking out for themselves. Having parked there once I was annoyed to hear it was closing but he was absolutely fuming.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Re: Dunmore East Wild Camping Spot

· 
Posted: 08.08.2013  ·  #6
That's town councils for you. They see "+20 vans" parked "for free" in a remote parking area and they narrow mindedly see it as lost revenue (not considering the money these campers spend in the local pubs, shops and restaurants)...

I can see Dunmore East being removed from the POI list on more than one Motorhome forum as a result of this...

Dunmore East will ultimately loose out... Pity that....

Ah well.... plenty of other towns to visit...

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2013  ·  #7
Admin note;

Two Dunmore east topics merged.

jimbob
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2013  ·  #8
Saturday Night 50 units at Shanoon 49 Irish, 1 French,1 Australian. We had a fantastic music session Drinks and Barbi Q ed Mackerel. The Foreign Tourers thought it was the best comradely between Campers they had ever seen. The Owner of the New Campsite who has Political Contacts had a meeting with the Dept of The Marine and insisted that the Parking Of Campers / Motorhomes be Prohibited at shanoon above the Pier citing unfair competition with his business. The Minister For the Marine Simon Coveney agreed to put the area off limits to Leisure Vehicles on the 12th August 13. Which has now happened. The New Campsite was Granted a 200,000 euro Grant of Tax Payers Money and for the privilege of getting our money we are rewarded with an order to vacate the area we have always used to park our Campers. This order applies to all lands owned by the Marine Authorities and Any Camper / Motorhome Found Parked On Their Property Will Be Clamped With 150 euro Fee to Be Released. It is true that the Villagers are incensed at the Development and want us the Camper / Motorhome Community to bombard along with themselves all the Local Politicians, TDs, Senators in the Waterford Area. Also to do like wise to the Minister For The Marine, Simon Coveney. Fight the Good Fight People Help To Get This Decision Reversed and Have Shanoon Made Accessible to Campers / Moterhomes Again.

jimbob
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Lack of Vision by Councils

· 
Posted: 17.08.2013  ·  #9
I agree with Blag the councils in the Republic cannot see the benefits that having Campers stop over in their areas can bring to the local economy's. Also the Campsite Owners Have To Shoulder a Lot Of The Blame, They Are Charging Way Over The Odds For Tourers To Come and Stay On Their Sites. The Facility's Provided On Their Sites Are Mostly No Better Than Converted Sheds, Shower Blocks With Gaps Above and Below The Doors, Windows Which Cannot Be Closed, Doors To The Block ( Sheds ) Always Open. No Heating, Spiders, Flies, and Bugs Of All Kinds Hanging Or Climbing The Walls n Rafters. You Freeze To Death When You Have a Shower, The Cubical's are dilapidated, Lacking Hooks To Hang Clothes, Shelves To Place Your Toiletries etc, No Foot Stools To Aid Disabled Or Infirm People To Dry Their Lower Bodies. The Toilet Blocks ( Sheds ) Smell, Are Also Filthy With Bugs, Flies, Spiders etc. You Will Be charged Up To 5 euro For Hook Up To Electricity Per Night, One Would Not Use That Amount Of Electricity At Home If You Had Every Appliance In The House On For 24 Hours. 15 To 20 Euro Per Night Would Be Plenty And a Fair Price To Pay For Campsites In Ireland Including Electricity and Showers. It Is Thought That About 95/6 % Of Tourers Would Use Sites Every Night If Prices Were A lot More Reasonable.

the shelly
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2013  ·  #10
hi yea, i heard this morning that the deparment of the marine were payed a certain amount of money to stop parking up on the hill in dunmore east they stopped the parking n not the council, so money does talk, my local radio station is going to cover it next week some time. will keep up to date as to when this is happening, stephen dee is the radio presenter on this, and he is looking for someone to chat about it with him. so highlignting it more that way,

sandy
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2013  ·  #11
During the Blue Grass festival there were up to 23 motorhomes parked on road at the tennis club/hotel. There was a security company employed to prevent parking in the harbour area. The new site which is promoted by the Minister for the Marine was only part full.

Alot of rumours doing the rounds in Dunmore and on motorhome campsites, can anyone confirm or deny these????

1. It cost 6000euro (tax payers money) for security in the harbour area during the festival?

2. The Chef working in the restaurant of the Holiday Park for the summer months works in Dail Eiraenn for the remainder of the year?

3. The said Holiday Park has only planning permission to remain open for motorhome up to 18th August.?

4. The land at the hilltop is "Commanage"?

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2013  ·  #12
Sandy it will be interesting to see if you get an answer to all those questions.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2013  ·  #13
Quote by sandy

During the Blue Grass festival there were up to 23 motorhomes parked on road at the tennis club/hotel. There was a security company employed to prevent parking in the harbour area. The new site which is promoted by the Minister for the Marine was only part full.

Alot of rumours doing the rounds in Dunmore and on motorhome campsites, can anyone confirm or deny these????

1. It cost 6000euro (tax payers money) for security in the harbour area during the festival?

2. The Chef working in the restaurant of the Holiday Park for the summer months works in Dail Eiraenn for the remainder of the year?

3. The said Holiday Park has only planning permission to remain open for motorhome up to 18th August.?

4. The land at the hilltop is "Commanage"?

I'm not sure anyone here can answer those questions for you Sandy, (esp question 2) :lol: , but I sure would like to see them answered!

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2013  ·  #14
This photo is of the Shanoon and some are saying it is the real reason it was closed - toxic waste

Is this the real reason the Dept of Agr, Food and Marine closed the Shanoon so that they can put toxic waste there and make it into a dump. Where are health and safety, while the residents just look on .

I don't have any facts as they seem hard to gather, but going by the Save the Shanoon facebook page a meeting was held with local business's and they basically didn't give a damn about the Motorhomers.

Liam we will never know the real truth. I have washed my hands of it, if the business people are not bothered why should we. Plenty of places where we are made more than welcome.

jimbob
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2013  ·  #15
That was the outcome Ally the business committee representative announced before the meeting that he would not be able to attend but that he would get another member of the business community to attend instead of him. This did not materialise and no one from the business community bothered to turn up. The meeting had been arranged between the business community the motorhome Representatives and a Senator who by the was was the only politician from all the Waterford Politicians to bother contacting us. The business community stabbed us in the back at the last minuet. Leaving us to fight on our own. We put our points across to the Senator who agreed to take it to Seanad Eireann and said he will insist that the Minister For Agriculture and the Marine will come into the Seanad and explain his involvement in the closing of Shanoon. We will now not have anymore involvement in the dispute over Shanoon the business community invited the Motorhomer's to start the dispute over the closing of the area and assured us of their full support, they were it seemed outraged at the effect it would have on their businesses and employment of locals during the summer months if the Motorhomes were not coming to Dunmore East. We felt that between all the business people and the !Motorhomes maybe we might have a chance of getting a reversal of the decision to close Shanoon to Motorhome parking. It has soured very much now over the actions or lack of action by the business community. We have decided that the business community of the village are not wort fighting for and will now go elsewhere to places where we are welcome and our spending power is appreciated.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2013  ·  #16
Thanks for the info Jim.

I planned to boycott it also, after reading that I definitely will.

jimbob
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2013  ·  #17
Thanks for that Ally it is up to every individual to decide for themselves wether they will now boycott Dunmore East or not. I thank You for your support and your decision to boycott Dunmore East. Every Motorhome that used to go to Dunmore East should now Show Solidarity and boycott the Village, Show them we are no ones fools. There is now no place for Motorhomes to Park Safely in Dunmore East and maybe because of the Actions of the Business Community there never again will unless you want to support the New Business that has been instrumental in having the Shanoon closed for Motorhome Parking. But as I have already said each individual must decide for themselves.

denboye
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Globecar Campscout
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 150 bhp
Subject:

Dunmore East Parking

· 
Posted: 14.09.2013  ·  #18
Staying at Newtown Cove at present and as I have the scooter on tow decided to scoot along to Dunmore to have a look at the new camp site. First and foremost I don't fancy walking up that hill at night specialy with a few pints on board,the site itself looks ok, the facilities are new and in 100% condition, very nice,spotless order. Price wise to dear for me €25 with EHU, €22 w/out,I noticed the showers are metered not sure of cost but €1 plus possible, with this in mind the Golf Club is handy but to venture down on foot to the village and back is pushing it for me and that would be the main issue.Dunmore East today (Sat)in the sun shine is a lovely place, what a pity a solution cannot be found. By the way only 2 vans on site when I arrived 1300hrs ish. 8-)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.