rear leaf springs

kavman
Subject:

rear leaf springs

· 
Posted: 29.07.2013  ·  #1
hi there

I have a 95 ducato with a 4 berth hymer body and its starting to sit down a lot on the back the springs look to be flat instead of curving upwards so heres my question has anyone ever changed their springs and would a set from a standard road van work if they were changed out any advice welcome

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: rear leaf springs

· 
Posted: 30.07.2013  ·  #2
Have you looked at air bags?

Marcel leisure have kits (didn't deal with them as I didn't like the attitude on the phone) but I bought the kit from driverite blanchardstown, they courier the kit to you aswell, DIY kit takes about 1.5 hours to fit,
I found with air bags a lot better cornering and no swaying when on dual carriageway or motorway when being overtaken,

I rang portlaoise springs & was quoted €300+vat for an extra leaf each side :bandit: :bandit:

Hope this helps

Exbiker
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2013  ·  #3
If you're near the North speak to Simon at LTS, he fitted a set of air suspensions to my 93 van last year super job and superb result, good price too.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2013  ·  #4
Once again a location would help for these type of questions ...I have air suspension and find it great well worth the money if your going to keep the van for awhile

dintymc
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2013  ·  #5
Hi Kavman.

I have a Hymer 644 on a Ducato - 1998.
3 years ago I had the same problem as you. Sagging leaf springs, tiring to drive, bad cornering etc. I checked out the cost of replacing the springs but it would have come close to 1000 euro all in.

After a lot of research I bought Dunlop air suspension from Marcle leisure in the U.K. http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/-c-58.html. Cost about 350 euro
My local mechanic fitted them for 100 euro. The old leaf springs stay in place with the 'stopper' taken out (I could probably have fitted them myself by my local mechanic always gives the van a good inspection when I drop in). I didn't bother getting a compressor kit with them as I just use my 12v pump that I carry in the van anyway.

The difference in the ride quality, cornering and ease of driving is huge. You can set the pressure in the airbags at different psi for different roads, loads etc. On motorways I put about 60 psi in. On back roads a little less.

When I level up, I usually have to go down to about 30 as the back of the van will be too high if I don't.

My advice is to get airbags fitted. They're cheaper, more adaptable and get rid of all the squeaky noises.

Have a look at this link which shows a set being fitted - exactly the same as mine. http://www.fiatforum.com/misce…rhome.html

Hope this helps
Denis

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.