How to go about getting best value for drive away awning

a.harney
Subject:

How to go about getting best value for drive away awning

· 
Posted: 29.07.2013  ·  #1
Hi all. First post as motorhome owner.
Last week I bought a 1994 ford transit Meridien 4 star, sleeps 5.....
It is hopefully to get away on a few breaks with my wife and 3 kids, 6,4 and 2.
I love their company, but can see the motorhome becoming claustrophobic of a wet weekend and I reckon that a good big awning would be a sound investment.
The motorhome already has an awning but I am after something that we can walk into, take off wet clothes/footwear and possibly sit out in the odd rainy time.
What type of thing should I be preparing myself for?
I guess I should know what height and width my MH is and where the door is - I can find that out...
Is it an option for me to look 2nd hand or would I be running the gauntlet, as in if there were a hole in the roof or what not....
I see Charles camping as an option for to buy, should I just arrive up there with say 500 euro or is it worth my while asking about and researching?
When shelling out, should I look for something with a bedroom attached or is that just getting greedy?
Also, will i now be paying more on campsites, as being completely new to this I intend to stay at campsites mainly for the first good few trips and get the feel for the whole process!!
There are lots and lots of questions.

Finally, and very off topic, but I dont want to be creating a new thread so if anyone knows, say I drive down the road, could the kids in the back plug in a dvd player off one of the sockets and watch a dvd off the leisure battery? I know this sounds bad and against the spirit of being out on the road and they should be looking out at the scenery but the reality is every now and then it could be handy to throw on a dvd if the players can be plugged in to the sockets...

Ta..

A

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: How to go about getting best value for drive away awning

· 
Posted: 29.07.2013  ·  #2
Hi A. Harney

Welcome to the site, hope we can help.

Having looked at your motorhome type on google images, it looks like a standard type of 'c' class motorhome. hope you get many happy trips in it.

I see lots of cars with DVD players for entertainment, some even factory fitted in the back of seats so I imagine it would be ok for the kids to use them, with 2 provisos.

1 keep the DVD away from the cab so there can be no issue with you being stopped by the police thinking you are watching while driving ( a problem with some foreign truckers on English motorways)
2 Consider a semi permanent mounting for the player, Whilst travelling usually all loose items are packed away. You do not want the possibility of a player hurtling around the van in the event of sudden braking or collision. Pretty lethal (and costly to replace).

As far as an awning is concerned the come in all shapes, sizes and more importantly cost! which can vary by hundreds of pounds from budget to top of the range.
Don't rush out to buy one until you establish the pattern of use over a season. We are glad we held off when we first got our motorhome as we had always had an awning with our caravan, but only use our pre-fitted sun awning on the motorhome. Saved a packet.

Consider a drive away awning so that you can still use the van for outings from the campsites, or think about a stand alone tent, although campsites may argue that you should pay for 2 units rather than 1 plus awning. When we towed south each year for a fortnight, the awning was invaluable as a porch, as an extra room, and also with an inner tent and air mattress a place to put the kids at night.

You might even get away with a couple of pup tents, which may not be charged for on site.

Worth also checking on ebay etc, as there are always lots of awnings for sale by people who don't use them. you could get a low cost little used bargain.

Be aware that caravan awnings will not fit a motorhome unless you fit an awning channel, and that length of awning is measured along the channel plus ground drops rather than length of van. I would have to say that I have not seen a motorhome used a fixed caravan style awning.

Hope this gives you a few pointers, keep us informed of the big adventure and your decision.

Davy

eileen
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: How to go about getting best value for drive away awning

· 
Posted: 04.08.2013  ·  #3
Hi we have an Outdoor Revolution Movelite Pro XL Kamper Drive Away Awning for sale. You would be able to secure it into your fixed awning. It has only been used twice and includes a groundsheet.
It is designed to fit small to medium camper vans from 180-230 cm high. It cost us £230 - would sell it for £175 ono. We are selling because we want to buy a fixed awning.

eileen.sweeney@btopenworld.com

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.