Hunters European adventure

July/August 2013

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Re: Hunters European adventure

· 
Posted: 27.07.2013  ·  #41
Update - we are in the south of France ... Staying at a campsite 'le Neptune' in Grau D' Agde ... There are about 200 pitches but you would hardly believe there are that many people here, good big pitches & well spaced out & good shade. Excellent pool to keep Ella busy & great cycle paths. We cycled to cap d'agde the day before yesterday & it took about 4 hours with stops & lunch etc. V safe paths for cycling on with a 5 year old. Enjoyed excellent meal of mussels last night at a little restaurant down at the front. Have also been enjoying the beautiful beach, it's 1.5km walk from the site. Moving on to Spain on Tuesday ... We can't believe that we are away 2weeks today ...

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2013  ·  #42
Yeah France has that kind of quality that one is not aware of time. I find it seems to pass more quickly in France than anywhere else and I just hate to have to head for home.

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2013  ·  #43
Any tips for managing the heat at night in the van - we were melting last night until about 2am.
We have all the internal blinds closed all day & the 2 skylights open & one fan on ... any other tips?

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2013  ·  #44
Hi Hunters.

Sleep in separate beds if you can,

Freeze a few wet flannels and hang them in front of the fan.

Spray a mist of water on a cotton sheet before laying it on top of you, this will help cool you as the evaporation occurs (similar to a fridge).

This is a topic being discussed on motohomefacts at present.

The most sensible advice is of course, not to go to hot places in high summer !!

If you must go to southern latitudes, then do as the locals do by either flocking to the coast or heading to the mountains.

This is also the reason that many European sites advertise that they have shaded pitches.

Davy

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2013  ·  #45
Thanks!
Will def. try wet flannels & spraying sheets.
Thankfully we are staying along the coast as we move into Spain on Tuesday. Bryan checked the temp. in Salou last night & it's sitting about 34oC 8-)

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2013  ·  #46
And the beaches are packed, drive a couple of minutes further into cambrills quiter and just as nice, there are a few bays on past the marina where you can park the motorhome under shade of trees and enjoy the beach. There isn't a lot of parking for Motorhomes in salou or cambrills apart from staying on sites but any there are now charges standard parking fees.

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2013  ·  #47
Thanks for that Fat Controller ...

Has anyone taken their campervan to portaventura theme park? Is it the same as Disneyland Paris & you pay a fee to use carpark?
We have bought 7 day ticket (we are roller coaster ride junkies!) & wondering re: parking ...
We can also take the bus from Pineda (the town/site we're staying in) but good to know all the options.

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2013  ·  #48
Just sitting relaxing & deciding to tell you one of our funny stories from the journey so far ... as Bryan has just reminded me it wasn't so funny at the time!
We were on route to Lyon & had stopped at one of the motorway aires for lunch. I got out first to drop our rubbish from along the journey into the bin, I had also lifted Ella's prescription sunglasses (£45 for a pair of child's sunglasses but essential purchase when you are going to be in the sun all summer & can't see without them!). By mistake I dropped the glasses into the bin with the rubbish. At first this doesn't sound so bad but when I lifted the lid of the bin up & looked at how deep it was I started to panic!! We're talking at least 7/8' deep & I am only 5'. The options started to run through my head -
A) climb down into the bin ... but how would they get me out!?!? & I really did NOT want to do that.
B) Bryan dangle me down in ... would he be able to hold my weight?!? & what if he dropped me head first into the bin.
C) ??? I had no other ideas!!
Just as I was about to really panic & shout for Bryan to come, I had the brainwave of getting him to bring the arm for rolling the awning in & out, I didn't know if it would work or not but at least I was providing a possible solution to the problem I had created.
He came over, I explained the problem & proposed solution (hook the glasses with the awning arm) but it was all picture & no sound ... need I say any more!
I could see people starting to look but Bryan was deep in concentration head first into the top of the bin!! I gestured to the man coming towards so that he didn't make a noise ... thankfully Bryan managed to hook them first time & bring them up the side of the bin. The whole episode was over in about 5 minutes, a lot quicker than initially expected!
Lesson learnt - I won't be putting the rubbish in the bins at the motorway aires - Bryan will!!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2013  ·  #49
As far as I know there is an area at port aventura to park Motorhomes and yes you will have to pay for it, but if youre in la Pineda why not take the shuttle bus/wally wagon as its right beside it. If you had been there last week I could have met up with you for a cerveza as I took the kids to aquapolis and spent a couple of hours in a cafe waiting on the others to arrive. Swmbo told me tonight via Skype that she will be in salou on day this week before she comes home.

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2013  ·  #50
Yes, took a look online after I posted & that seems to be the just of it ... we might even Jo maxi it back & forward, see how we go!
I can PM you our mobile if she wants to meet up, we met with friends this evening who have a house in Agde & it was nice to hear a familiar voice!
Salou here we come in am!

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2013  ·  #51
Funny story number 2 - last night it was so hot we opened all the windows & pulled down the fly screens, it made an enormous difference & it made the temp much more comfortable. As usual we had the door locked from the inside by pulling the door handle up.
This morning we were going to stock up at Hyper U & get fuel & Bryan asked me about the location of the campervan keys ... we usually put them in the same place but they were not there ... who was the last person with them? Me of course!!
Now where would the last place the keys would be?? On the outside of the door of course! ie ALL night!
So as Bryan said tonight, last night he was lying in bed worrying about how easy it would be for someone to rip off a fly screen & get into the van when it was even easier than that ... all they had to do was turn the key!!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2013  ·  #52
Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2013  ·  #53
That will be my new line when something goes wrong!!

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2013  ·  #54
Worse still they could have drove off with you all asleep :bandit: enjoy hols 8-) 8-)

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2013  ·  #55
We have crossed over to the other side! We are in Spain ...
Observations so far -
A) far fewer motorhomes on the motorway
B) fewer aires/stops along the motorway
C) you drive much closer to the cities than our experiences driving on motorway in France
D) drivers not as good as in France ... Bryan was v impressed with the lane discipline in France, more 'hogging' of lanes here or maybe we just got them on a bad day!

Campsite v easy found, about 200 pitches in total, we have super shade from trees & it's 1/2 mile walk to the beach.
So far so good! Bryan in charge of the BBQ & I'm sorting the salad ... life is good 8-) 8-)

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2013  ·  #56
You have yet to really experience the Spanish driving :lol: never mind the bump parking, where they bump into the vehicles front and back to get in and out of a parking space

drifter
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Hobby 690GFS
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD on an AL-KO chassis
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2013  ·  #57
Quote by Hunters

So far so good! Bryan in charge of the BBQ & I'm sorting the salad ... life is good 8-) 8-) ...

I'm jealous :(

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2013  ·  #58
Thanks for the warning Fat Controller!! We are pretty much parked up for the 10 days so hopefully not have to experience too much Spanish driving during the stay. Going to get the bus to Cambrils shortly, v handy bus stop just outside our site :D going to the market.

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

Beach car-parks

· 
Posted: 01.08.2013  ·  #59
Just watch parking the MH at the beach car-parks in Spain, we where there a few years ago & parked beside a couple of other MHs. About half an hour after we'd settled on the beach one of our kids went back up to the MH to get something & there was a bit of commotion around one of the other vans. Turns out they'd been robbed, thieves had broke in through one of the living area windows.

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative, but better to know.

chalkey

Subject:

Take care

· 
Posted: 01.08.2013  ·  #60
Hi Hunters,

sorry to be so negative, but we were in spain on the costa Brava 3 years ago and while checking into a camp site our van was broken into, we disturbed the thieves during the process and I got a nasty bite on my arm trying to stop the buggers. The police told me that on the day it happened that 20 vans had been broken into by north African criminals. Apparently the judges are so lenient when they get the criminals to court that no real deterant is present. Keep your eyes open and have a great time.

Chalkey

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2013  ·  #61
The judges may be lenient but I can honestly say that the mosos de esquadra are definitely not, they have a tendency to thump, wack, smack and shoot first and ask questions later. They do not like crime in their region and are proactive in keeping crime rates low.

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2013  ·  #62
Thanks for all this info. it is better to be in the loop about things like this.
We are going to Barcelona zoo tomorrow on bus/train so we will be super aware of pick pockets there.

A new MH arrived at the site today & they have sides that zip around their awning making it into an extra room. We were v impressed with this & hope to find out more about it ... anyone else have one of these that can help keep us right?! Bryan & I have discussed it at length here this evening & there are positive & negative to having zip around sides. One of the negs being that's more to put away before you can drive off! LOL

My brother flies in tomorrow to Barcelona to spend the week with us, it will be his first time staying in our MH & I suppose our first time having guests! It will be interesting to see what he thinks of this lifestyle!

This is a great site, a v short walk to the beach (this pleases Ella that she doesn't have too far to walk). We were surprised at how quiet the beach was today, we were at the end near the oil refinery & dock area & enjoyed watching plenty of ships go in & out!

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2013  ·  #63
Sounds like you are having a blast.
Enjoy the zoo.

The panels for your roll out awning is usually called a safari room.
You have already mentioned one downside, if you drive often it need to be taken down.

They are handy if you stay in one place for days on end. Check out Motorhome for sale listings as they are always for sale ( maybe that is an indication )

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2013  ·  #64
Barcelona zoo is fantastic, better than Dublin and puts Belfast to shame. If you are planning on travelling around Barcelona you can get a T10 ticket which gives 10 journeys on bus/train/tram/subway or if you need more there is a little known one called a T-Dia and it costs about 11euro and gives unlimited travel for a single calendar day, you get them at subway station machines. Take Ella to the fairy cafe, it's at the bottom of the ramblas next to the wax works, the wax works is sign posted but the cafe isn't. It's got small furniture trees inside and a fairy bridge and if she's lucky she might see a fairy!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2013  ·  #65
the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2013  ·  #66
As mark said they are called safari rooms, people buy them and end up never using them unless parked up for a number of days, they are not the easiest thing to put up as it takes two to do it and they are quite heavy and bulky to carry around

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2013  ·  #67
Thanks both of you, we're just having croissants for breakfast before we leave ... will def. visit fairy cafe :-)

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2013  ·  #68
Fairy cafe highlight of the day for Ella!! Thanks for the heads up on that one. That's a real wee hidden gem in the middle of Barcelona.
Super day had by all, we're all exhausted! Night night :sleep: :sleep:

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2013  ·  #69
We have been chilling out for the past week at the beach & then the theme park (Portaventura) in the evenings.
There are far fewer MH in this part of the world & from what we see v few suitable parking spaces at the beaches etc.
We are at the much quieter end of things which we realise as we drive through Salou on the bus ... it is bedlam!!!
My brother is staying with us this week & it has been great for Ella to see her Uncle Paul :-)
We drive back into France on Saturday ...

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2013  ·  #70
The main reason for the lack of MH's is probably down to the heat, when you are getting outside temps in the high 30's a MH can be hard to stick. I avoid Salou for the reason you state, I will go usually once just to get a decent curry :lol: any time I'm over. The one change I have noticed from Easter is that nearly all on street parking is now payable and this can put MHomers off (we can be a miserable bunch, need money for beer tokens). I have found that most MH's at this time of year are either on a site or parked a bit out of the way usually under trees to get a bit of shade.

The main town near my house has an aire, but there is no shade and at this time of year few vehicles stay, but from Sept to May there is usually one or two vans parked up.

JAG147
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2013  ·  #71
Sounds great, we are currently near Royon on the west coast, cloudy today it rest of week and into next week to be good, our two girls are having a ball in the pool , 9 & 7, think they will be par boiled by the time we get home, here until Saturday week when we head to roscoff for the boat home

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2013  ·  #72
Packed up ready to move on. We have it all down to a fine art now!! Bryan has his jobs (mostly outside things) & I sort out inside the van. While all this is going on Ella sleeps! Bryan had a right job getting the pegs into the ground here & so of course it was a real handling getting them back out!! He practically had to dig them out ... lesson learnt - bring a hammer with a claw on it! Talking about things we needed to bring we are going to start a list of things to remember for next year ...
1) Superglue (don't ask!!) - Bryan says I have hams for hands & on average break one thing a day ...
2) hammer with a claw
3) cable ties - as my brother says, if you can't fix it with a cable tie it's not worth fixing!

Bidart here we come ... the satnav says 6 hrs ... big drive today after being bedded in at this campsite for 10 days ...
It will def. be a case of saying 'keep right' a few times!

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2013  ·  #73
Enjoy your drive today and please do keep right. LOL

We have a rubber mallet for the pegs which has a grip that pulls off to reveal a hook in the end of the shaft. This is used for pulling out pegs, even rock pegs. We have been using it for almost 20 years now and still works great.

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2013  ·  #74
We enjoyed 2 nights in Bidart & moved on today.
Bidart has great beaches with some super waves for surfing, we enjoyed watching the surfers yesterday.
Big 6 hour drive again today & we have arrived at Les Moutiers En Retz.
The last hour of our drive was through villages, we have been mostly driving on motorway so this was a lovely change.
It is about another 7 hours to Calais & we will head that way on Saturday.
Bryan turns 40 when we are at this site!... so will have to make a plan of what we are doing this Thursday to celebrate him being 40 years young :happy:
The BBQ is being lit as I type & the sun is shining, long may it last!

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2013  ·  #75
PS Mark we found a rubber mallet with a hook on the end in Super U this afternoon :up: sorted!

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2013  ·  #76
Perfect. They are a great job.
Just watch or you might get a few orders from other members. LOL

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2013  ·  #77
mark you can read my mind :P :P

only joking hunters,.....good to read that ye are enjoying the trip, :up:

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2013  ·  #78
:D Happy 40th birthday Bryan :D

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2013  ·  #79
Happy birthday Bryan.
Maybe you will get a day off driving today. LOL

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2013  ·  #80
Happy birthday Bryan. Have a great ' un.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.