France Queries

deisecamper
Craic'er
Subject:

France Queries

· 
Posted: 12.06.2013  ·  #1
any answers on the following would be appreciated,

travelling to france with Celtic Link (-10%) July 16th and have to pick up wife in Carcassone 21st.
Going to visit omaha beach is there overnight parking or aires at that location?
To avoid the excessive toll roads can I travel to toulouse and onto Narbonne avoiding paying, does it take much longer.
does anyone know of an aires around bordeaux for a safe overnight stay.

Finally just to give some promotion to celtic link, including the return flights (1 adult + 1 ch) and ferry crossing ( 1 ad + 1ch) it still worked out cheaper than irish ferries with us all going by ferry for the same dates.

john

Subject:

Re: France Queries

· 
Posted: 12.06.2013  ·  #2
John reference your route,
Yes it is possible to do that and miss out the tolls but it is much more driving time rather than distance as N roads go through villiage after village.

We did your route last summer using Autoroute with Tolls.

If you need to avoid tolls a basic rule is that if there is an Autoroute there will be the original road nearby i.e. A20 / N20
Tolls will usually be signposted as "peage" giving you time to exit prior to paying. If in doubt follow the green road signs as they are for N roads as opposed to Blue for Autoroute.

You may find driving at a constant speed and paying tolls may be not that much different in cost to the stop start type driving on the N roads.

Your rough route using non toll Autoroute and N roads would be :

Cherbourg
Saint Lo
Renne
Nantes
Poitiers
Limoges
Cahors
Toulouse
Carcassonne

If you choose the follow the N roads you will see some real nice villages... Enjoy your drive....

deisecamper
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2013  ·  #3
thanks for the information Mark :-) :up:

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2013  ·  #4
I have just driven from Roscoff to Gruisan.
The tolls would be the same you would have to pay. We paid about €68 up to Carcassonne.

Sorry I don't have an exact figure but I forgot to keep a record.

It is a long long drive. We did it in two 7 hour days.

JAG147
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.06.2013  ·  #5
you are well down there Mark

enjoy

cant wait until 2nd Aug, until we get away

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.06.2013  ·  #6
Well down is right.

It was the best bet for sunny weather and even here it has been overcast a bit.
Forecast is for sunny and 24 degrees from tomorrow for the next 7 days but it has been wrong in the past.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.06.2013  ·  #7
Mark you need to be more positive! Even if the weather is not all that good the wine is superior in France!

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2013  ·  #8
John,
As Mark said it is a long,long drive. We left Roscoff Sunday morning and used the toll roads as far as Carcassonne. From there we used the non toll roads on to Leucate and we found them to be a pain, with so many small towns and villages with speed limits as low as 30 km/hr and a sat nav trying to bring us down every second dirt track on the way. The first night we stayed on a free aire just south if Bordeaux in a sleepy little town near the motorway called Cadillac, Ehu (payable), water,grey water disposal and chemical toilet disposal are available. The Aire is No177, page 77 on, All the Aires France book 2013. The next two nights we stayed on the Aire by the sea in Leucate plage, 7.20 euro each night, and are now on a ACSI site in Marseillan

Daire
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.06.2013  ·  #9
The motorways in Britanny are toll free, in fact one can get from Cherbourg to Nantes, using mostly motorway, without toll. There is an aire in St. mere Eglise, right in the centre of the village, behind the church, and convenient to Omaha beach.

molly
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2013  ·  #10
Hi has anyone gone to the Tour de France or is anyone over there at the moment leaving next Thur. Our drive is 8hrs to the 14th stage. Any advice

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2013  ·  #11
Molly. If you can't make it to the town or village a day or so before the tour arrives my advice would be avoid the area.
If you can be there it would be great to watch.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2013  ·  #12
Hi Molly,
I've seen it 5 times its fantastic, as Mark said you will have to be in the area a day or two before it arrives, you can park on the road with all the other mh, don't forget your flags, I think there's 2 Irish lads in it this year.enjoy

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.