MartyD
My Motorhome: Autotrail Scout
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

MOTORHOME INSURANCE / BREAKDOWN COVER

· 
Posted: 12.11.2011  ·  #1
Hi Team

New to the site and to a motorhome. I'm just about to take ownership of a Swift Sundance and need to get good value cover for both insurance / breakdown.

I'm sure there are lots of you out there with loads of tips and ideas.

Look forward to your advice and guidance.

Regards

M

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: MOTORHOME INSURANCE / BREAKDOWN COVER

· 
Posted: 12.11.2011  ·  #2
Hi & Welcome to craic!

A lot seem to use Dolmen http://www.dolmen-insurance.ie/ they include breakdown cover, but the jury is still out on how good it is if you break down oversea's.

Also a lot of people were using ADAC for breakdown cover oversea's but if you read here forum/topic.php?t=267 it doesn't seem to good!

I'm sure others will be along with their recommendations.

digger
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Mirage 6000
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2011  ·  #3
Hi MartyD
I use Oakland Insurance in Limavady. I found them the cheapest.
Welcome to the craic.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2011  ·  #4
Hi Martyd.

I use Dolmen as Ally says. This is my second year so no evidence of how a claim or breakdown would fare. However the scheme is covered by AXA who are a fairly reputable company.

The scheme is a special one for motorhomes, and as such you simply fill in the form and send a photocopy of your driving licence and cover note for your car insurance together with £250 and; bingo, you are covered.

Worth investigating.

Breakdown cover I get from RAC. The important thing is that My membership is through the Camping and Caravan club scheme called ARRIVAL. This removes restrictions on length and age of van which most companies impose ( including RAC ordinary membership) The other usefull thing that I have done is to take a family membership. So for about £240 last year my families four cars plus the motorhome are covered to the full range of cover available including european trips ( cars too). This equates to approx £50 per person, substantially cheaper than each person taking out an individual cover since basic membership is about £38. All members must reside at the same address though. Mine all do, for better or worse!!.

I have not had to call them for a european motorhome breakdown, but at least i have done the best I can.

A lot of people on motorhomefacts.com swear by the german firm ADAC who seem to do a very good europe wide cover. Worth looking.

All the best

Davy

MartyD
My Motorhome: Autotrail Scout
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2011  ·  #5
Wow guys / gals

Thanks for the prompt replies, received with thanks. I hope to do some research today so will keep you updated over coming days.

Marty D

martynor
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2011  ·  #6
Hi all
I'm about to undertake a camper conversion project and have a couple of question on insurance. Has anybody got experience with this. I know dolmen will cover conversion , subject to certain conditions ( bed, seating, cooker etc) but they want a walk through from the can. I can't do a walk through in the van I'm using because the centre consol it quite high up. So I looked at Stuart insurance and they say a motor caravan must be 1.8 m internal height ( which is not now necessary by law) again I can't comply with this. So what I'm asking is has anybody overcome Any of these problems. I'm converting a Nissan vanette ( derived from a Serena) it small but just big enough for the job. Any help would ne appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Martyn

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

conversion insurance

· 
Posted: 21.11.2011  ·  #7
Try The Motorcaravan Club of Ireland they were able to help a friend with a similar problem in the past. www.themotorcaravanclub.net

martynor
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2011  ·  #8
Thanks Willie, checked it out seems like they could be useful.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.