RoI digital TV

raymondo
Craic'er
Subject:

RoI digital TV

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #1
One problem I encountered during my foray south of the border was TV reception.
On analogue I had the choice of TV3 or TG4 (often numerous "versions" of them) rarely RTE1 and never RTE2.

On digital I had a whole host of channels all of which seemed to be showing the same programme, it was called "VIDEO FORMAT NOT RECOGNISED".

Is there anyway of me getting digital TV down there without either buying a satelite dish or an Irish TV - to be honest from what I saw of TV3 there is not a lot on down there that I would pay money to see (thank god for DVDs!)

Subject:

Re: RoI digital TV

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #2
Quote by raymondo
(thank god for DVDs!)

LOL.... I know what you meant there Raymondo.

We always found TV reception poor everywhere in the south.
Ended up going for a dome so wife can watch Corrie and come dine with me....

No idea about other solutions

kilree
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #3
Hi Raymondo. You should still be able to receive the Irish analog signals up to next October when everything will become digital and at that stage the only way you will get the Irish channels will be via a "Saorview" box or TV. The Saorview box is similar to the UK freeview box but as far as I know they are not interchangeable The only other way is via a sky box on satellite.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #4
The old Terrestrial Analog TV for Ireland Will be Switch off some time in 2012. And the new Digital service is all ready up and running, This Service is not to be confused with the English free view.

All the info you need here, happy reading. :-) http://www.saorview.ie/

raymondo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #5
They are having a laugh surely?
€70 for a saor view box? I can get a UK free view box for less than £20, in facr I can get a FreeSat satelite system for not much more than €70!!!!!!

kilree
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #6
Early days Raymondo. These things will come down in price as we get closer to the switchover date. You know yourself the way it is with new things - "show me a lamb and I'll show you a shears". As proof of this a FTA satellite system down here with all the bits and bobs is around the same price as up north because its been around for a lot longer. In any event I wouldn't see much point in you rushing out to buy a saorview box at this stage as you will still be able to receive the old analog signal for close enough to the next twelve months.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #7
This one is 12volt..

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xch…_14607.htm

Doesn't say anywhere that it is but apparently it is the same as another make which is 12 volt

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.