Can I ask for your invaluable advice folks?

About taking the motorhome to France next year

Bronagh
Benny Hill Wannabe
Subject:

Can I ask for your invaluable advice folks?

· 
Posted: 01.11.2011  ·  #1
Hi folks,

While we were away at the weekend we started discussing about the possibility of taking the motorhome to France next year (around October maybe) . But here is the thing, its a 1993. Do any of ye consider that to be too old to take abroad? We just have so little knowledge really. Now she did get a thorough service last week with our local garage and they said she is in good shape ^_^ but I suppose I am just looking for hints and tips too from the more experienced of you.

Thanks a million!! :D

Subject:

Re: Can I ask for your invaluable advice folks?

· 
Posted: 01.11.2011  ·  #2
France is so big it is possible to cover long distances easily.

Do you plan to stay north? If so, you may not cover much more distance than you would at home.
Traveling further south may be a different story.

If you are unsure about it why not find out about continental break down cover with repatriation.

If the worst happens at least you know they will get you home.

Bronagh
Benny Hill Wannabe
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2011  ·  #3
Yeah we weren't planning on going for very long so we wouldn't be going south, and I wouldn't go without the continental breakdown cover, it is great peace of mind! Thanks mark!

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2011  ·  #4
Never been to France in a Motorhome, but I have made some very long journeys in cars that were built from as far back as 1959.

The beauty of older vehicles, there is less to go wrong, less electrics and computers. I don't think 1993 is to old (1993 still seems like yesterday:), as long as it's belts, mainly timing belt, if it has one, are serviced up to date and you have good clean oil in there you have as little a chance of a breakdown as someone with a new MH.

Bronagh
Benny Hill Wannabe
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2011  ·  #5
Thanks Ally, I never thought of it like that! Thankfully we have a great garage thats local to us who I would trust implicitly to make sure she is ship shape for the journey should we decide to do it! :D
And yes I agree with you, 1993 doesn't seem so long ago to me! I saw an advert earlier for a 20th anniversary edition of Achtung Baby by U2...sure that can't be right :lol: :lol:

digger
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Mirage 6000
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2011  ·  #6
Not a problem. I went to France in a Skoda and got home ok :D
French mechanics work wonders with a hammer!

Bronagh
Benny Hill Wannabe
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2011  ·  #7
Quote by digger

Not a problem. I went to France in a Skoda and got home ok :D
French mechanics work wonders with a hammer!

Or I could bring my own hammer to save a few euro?
:D :D

Tourer64

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2011  ·  #8
I would have no issue taking a van to France as long as it is fully serviced and anything that needs replacing is replaced.....and secondly make sure that in the unfortunate situation that you do need help..you have proper cover to repatriate the van if necessary.

I go to the Continent most years and have had various vans from relatively old to brand spanking new.....I treat them all the same....they are mechanical and can break down. Actually if the truth be know...i never broke down in the older van.....!!! Now getting back to the point...I always use the CC's Red Pennant insurance...it is a little costly but for peace of mind I know I'll never have to abandon my van anywhere......

dorts
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2011  ·  #9
Age wont matter,get her serviced before you go,get the aire de service books and you will have a ball.The french love motorhomers.We have been there 6 times and it is brilliant.As you are going to have your insurance you should have no bother,enjoy.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2011  ·  #10
If you are insured with Dolmen they claim to include continental break down cover as part of the package.

Bronagh
Benny Hill Wannabe
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2011  ·  #11
Cool, thanks for the reassurances folks, I am indeed insured with Dolmen but I believe it can be difficult to get a straight answer from them with regard to repatriation!

Tourer64

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #12
I would be wary about the breakdown cover.....unless you have it in writing that they will repatriate. My understanding is and I could be wrong is that they will give you roadside assistance for a specific period of time and if they can't get you going then they will tow you to the nearest approved garage. All fine and dandy unless you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a RTA and can't be repaired....it is then I would like the peace of mind to know i'll get my baby home.....

Bronagh
Benny Hill Wannabe
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #13
Yeah I am totally with you on that point, you just want peace of mind really. Isn't there some German equivalent to like aa and for about €80 they will look after you on the continent and get you all home safely if the worst comes to the worst. Must try and find where I saw that....

Tourer64

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #14
I have heard about it but for the life of me I can't remember......

However I know a man who does.....drop Pat/Wayfarer a PM and I'm sure he will give you the lowdown on it.... I'll do some rooting about and if I find it I'll post it on here.....

Bronagh
Benny Hill Wannabe
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #15
Sweet! Nice one! I'll pm pat 2moro so, thanks again for the help :)

Tourer64

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #16
No worries Bronnagh...ur more than welcome.... :)

Stall the digger...if you place ADAC into the search engine...it will drect you to a thread here about said breakdown insurance.... I think thats what ur looking for....

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #17
Bronagh
Benny Hill Wannabe
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #18
Great stuff, I think thats the one I was reading about, I will have to look into it in more depth. Cheers :up: :up:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.