Irish Ferries to France 2012

Subject:

Irish Ferries to France 2012

· 
Posted: 31.10.2011  ·  #1
I have just priced our trip to France with Irish Ferries for next July.
The price came to €806.40 and that is with what they claim is 10% off at the moment.

If we went for the same duration in June it would be €423.90.
The saving of €382.50 would cover a lot of fuel and campsite fees for the trip.

It is mad how the prices go up during the school holidays.

We went in August this year but I never really thought about going in June up to now.
It would also mean getting the whole summer to tour Ireland..

Tourer64

Subject:

Re: Irish Ferries to France 2012

· 
Posted: 01.11.2011  ·  #2
I just received a quote from Irish Ferries for going out in July and returning in August for the princely sum of €780. wow...cheapest quote I ever received for the 4 of us.....!!!!

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2011  ·  #3
Not too bad at all

I have noticed some dates are much less than others

They sent me a voucher code last year for 10% off of we booked before midnight on 31st Dec.

I hope they do it again. LOL

Tourer64

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #4
Has anybody checked Celtc Link yet? same dates as Irsh ferries for us is €200 cheaper......

it will soon be cheaper to go to France than Dublin to Holyhead....... :(

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #5
I have been waiting for 2012 prices to come out..

wayfarer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #6
We always travel in June. Best ferry and campsite prices. This year we went in May and came back in June. Best price was Celtic. Their prices for 2012 are not out yet.

Hello from Israel.
8-)

Tourer64

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #7
Pat,

Celtic Link prices for 2012 are out. I got a price of their site last night.... €580 for travelling out in July and back in August.

Dec.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #8
must be just out.

I looked on Monday or Tuesday and it was up to Feb..

Must take a look later

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2011  ·  #9
I have just looked up the Celtic Link site and worked it out.

Sailing with Celtic Link on the same July dates as Irish Ferries works out at €83.40 cheaper.

My only problem is the Celtic Link ferry arrives in France 6 hours later than Irish Ferries.
The six hours drive could have us as far down as Niort before the Celtic Link boat docks.

That feels like an extra day so we might go with Irish Ferries again......

Tourer64

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2011  ·  #10
Thats a very good point Mark. €200 is a lot of money and to be honest it would be better in my pocket than Irish Ferries but trying to occupy 2 children on a boat all day when we could be travelling is a nightmare...!!! I haven't booked anything yet and of course another factor to consider is that Irish Ferries only want €100 deposit now whereas Celtic Link want all the money up front in the mouth of Christmas....

Aagghhhh...

Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2011  ·  #11
We are thinking of traveling on 12th July this year and Irish Ferries go to Roscoff on that sailing. This suits us as we are going to gironde/landes.

Had a look at the route and we could be in saintes by the time we would be getting off the Celtic Link ferry in Cherborg.

Might even be able to drive further but no need really as we will be in Biscaross by 11 the next morning after a short drive. Sounds good to me.

dorts
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2011  ·  #12
We went in September 2011 with Celtic,cost 350 euro,we have a dog,irish ferries wanted 150 euro,celtic was free for dogs.Priced this year coming in at 386 euro,pretty good.September was brilliant.We used the Camper stop book it was very good.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2011  ·  #13

wayfarer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2011  ·  #14
Rob, don't be one bit worried about travelling in Europe, we did it the first year we bought our first camper. You will have the hang of driving on the right about 10 mins after getting off the ferry, after that you just won't think about it. Most people in France speak English and are very helpful. Rules and regs are no great problem, just bring high vis vests for everyone in the camper in case you have to stop on the side of the road. Google "travelling in France" or indeed Germany/Italy/Spain and all the info is in there. Its a fantastic experience and you will love it.

:-)

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2011  ·  #15
I totally agree with everything in said the previous post.

We took a caravan to France for years when the kids went too. Now it is just the two of us in the motorhome ist is even easier as we tend not to book campsites. We were there in August this year during the French holidays and had no problems getting into sites.

Only on one occasion did we get turned away but a nearby site was suggested and turned out to be great.

If you are thinking of going remember that you can leave the boat quite late but run the risk of not getting a cabin.
I only travel from Rosslare to France as it is one boat which get you there at about 11am giving you the day to travel. There are many other options like driving through England which may work out cheaper but I personally cant be bothered with the traffic on the drive between ports.

If you can learn a few basic words and phrases in French you are treated slightly differently as they see that as making an effort. Once they see you are trying they miraculously develop a knowledge of english. I love to try to shop in the markets as it always gives the stall holders a laugh.

We are thinking of Sailng Rosslare to Roscoff on 12 July and returning Cherbourge to Rosslare on 29th July. I would love to go for longer but work prevents it. Wife is still thinking of not taking Motorhome to France this year but I am sure I can change her mind...

Anyway, just go for it, you will love it.....

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2011  ·  #16

wayfarer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2011  ·  #17
20 years ago I also hated France with a passion (no pun intended) especially Parisians, they were rude, obnoxious and had a real superior attitude, driving was a nightmare. But a lot has changed since then, They have made huge changes in attitude and driving, I find it safer to drive there now than here, they know the rules of the road and obey them and if you even make a small attempt to speak French the will help you out. Two years ago I was queuing in a mini market when a "gentleman" from England in front of me turned to his wife and said rather loudly "what's the matter with these people, why can't they speak English" now that's the attitude that annoys the French and who would blame them. I think you will find if you visit there that things have changed for the better and you will have a great time.

PS I don't speak French either to my shame.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2011  ·  #18

martynor
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.11.2011  ·  #19
Went to France this year with Celtic it was cheaper than Irish Ferries but the boat was awful, one bar (packed with truck drivers) one resturant (packed with truck drivers). It's okay if you are not traveling with kids, Irish Ferries is a bit more expensive but better boat(IMO).I booked Irish Ferries for next August 620 Euro for four of us so not too expensive if you book early.

Davidod
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Itineo FB650
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X250
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2011  ·  #20
Well we arrived back from France on the 26th September. Booked on 24th October to travel with Irish Ferries on the 4th September 2012. The cost was €344 all in. We didn't go for an outside window this time as we found it a bit annoying to have people passing your window the whole time.

Nothing set in stone yet but the lines in Autoroute go to Paris, Rheims, Metz, Strasbourg, Freiburg, Lake Constance. We are thinking spending a bit of time touring around the perimeter of Lake Constance as I understand that parts of it are stunning. Then we probably find another route back to Cherbourg. We have three weeks in all.

Comments from anyone who has experience of that part of Germany would be very welcome.

Just out of interest, the last time we did Alsace we routed through Holyhead, Hull, Zebrugge and drove across Belguim, Luxembourg and then in to Alsace and to Colmar; our ultimate destination. Leaving home in the morning, we were in Hull by 6 o'clock in the evening. Overnight on the ferry and in Colmar Alsace by 5 o'clock the next day. Not a bad journey either.

hobey

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #21
Checked prices for Rosslare - Cherbourg for July as follows. Brittney ferries E1600 for camper, 2 adults and 2 children (14 and 12). Irish ferries E1050 and Celtic link E850.
So I went ahead and booked Celtic link For JUNE for E455.00 A no brainer really.........Hobey

Davidod
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Itineo FB650
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X250
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #22
Holy S!1t.

Celtic Link OK but not a lot for the kids to do. It's a small ship although they a new larger one coming later in the year. But must agree it was the only real choice.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #23

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #24
Quote by cobra rob

We booked irish ferries last week for €425 for 3 weeks in June , those july prices suck..................... oooooooo euro symbol hold down ctrl +alt +4 :D

On the Mac It's, alt + 2 :D :D

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #25

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #26
Quote by cobra rob

Quote by hymer524

Quote by cobra rob

We booked irish ferries last week for €425 for 3 weeks in June , those july prices suck..................... oooooooo euro symbol hold down ctrl +alt +4 :D

On the Mac It's, alt + 2 :D :D

lol nice one :D............... Oooooooo the fun symbol is 2X bottles of wine :D

This is what happens when you have 2 to many,
:D :D O-)

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #27

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #28

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #29

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #30
My wife and I were shopping. She would not let me buy 24 cans of beer for £10. Too dear she said. She made me put them back on the shelf.

As we passed the cosmetics aisle she put some Face cream in the trolley. 50ml for £20 !!

I challenged her about the price. 'It's to help me keep beautifull' she huffed.

'If we had bought the beer you would have looked beautifull for half the price' I said logically.

We compromised and she bought me a steak for my black eye, whilst she got the face cream !!!

Davy

(with permission from Frances)

sorry got carried away there, I had intended to ask if any one has used the Irish Ferries offer of a free trip to Wales after purchasing a trip to France between june and August.

Looks like a money saver as I had been considering a trip to Brittain as well as France. So I could save the price of a Larne/Stranraer but at a slightly dearer price to France.

Davy

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #31
:lol:

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #32

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #33
We have had that offer the last couple of years but never taken them up on it.

Might be good for next year as daughters could be off to Uni.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #34

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #35
Hi cobra rob.

I think you will find that you have to have taken your french trip before you can book the british trip.
The small print also seems to exclude the swift boat.

My concern is that you have to take the same vehicle to GB as went to France, and at least one person has to be on both trips. However I am wary of them saying when i try to claim the 'free' trip that there is a supplement as it is a motorhome rather than a car, although all the blub simply talks about the 'vehicle'

The other point is that you have to be resident in Ireland, and as you know we in the north are sometimes treated as Irish and sometimes as British.
Sometimes it is advantageous but can also work the other way (eg car insurance).

I rang the customer service and chatted to a Liverpulian who sounded as if she was in a call centre. I came away with the info that it had to be the same vehicle and being in the north was ok. BUT I am not covinced.

I had e-mailed them with the same questions last night. but only got a standard T&C answer.

Davy

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #36

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #37
Good points there Dave.

I assumed if they sent it to me they knew where I reside.

Never thought much about which vehicle. It will be interesting to hear what they say about that.

If you travel every summer with them you will have the offer of a trip to UK each year. Not too bad if it appeals to you.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #38

wayfarer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #39
We got that offer 2 yrs ago as well but when I looked into it there was a €100 admin charge as well. Free my posterior! :bandit:

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2011  ·  #40

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.