Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

My latest plan* winter in Europe

· 
Posted: 19.02.2023  ·  #1
* this could change.
First of all I did an August/September trip in our MH in 2012 or 2013 and really loved it. That said I spent 3 years in Germany as a much younger man and remember just how cold it can be in the winter. I’ve always wanted to go back and spend more time in one of the nicer months.

Fast forward, my initial plan was to close the campsite early 3 of September (as a reward for 10 seasons in business) ferry to France then into Germany and head south, then head back into France before spending 3/4 months in Spain and Portugal.

Then along came two things that made me re evaluate. Spain and Portugal is simply getting too busy especially on the coast and in southerly areas. The ability to wake up and just head to the next park up, campsite or Aire or tolerated overnight parking area has become a thing of the past. There are some great sites in Spain and Portugal but I don’t want to tie myself down and commit to booking ahead.
The second was a post from willthiswork (Maeve) talking about Greece and bits of Eastern Europe.

So I started another plan, still incorporating Germany in September but then onto Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and finally Greece for the winter.

But then Maeve highlighted the requirements for pet travel from Albania into Greece and the requirement for a Titre test and around the same time Max (very helpfully) provided links for Ferry crossing from Italy to Greece.

So a quick revision of the plan, Germany, Austria, Italy, hop on a ferry where you can camp on board in your MH for the crossing to Greece with a 25% discount for booking before the 28/2 meant our <8 m MH 2 adults and 1 dog cost €330, (Bari to Patras)

Now I knew I needed a vingette for Austria, great €18 buy on line job done, errr no not if your MH is over 3500 kg you need to fit a “Go Box” these are widely available at most crossing points. But if you pre load them with the minimum amount €75 it just about gets you to the border of Italy if you avoid some toll roads.

Amanda said why don’t we just go through Switzerland? I looked into this and for a plus 3.5 ton MH it would be about 40 Swiss Francs which is about €40, so that’s our latest plan.

We will get the Titre test done here before we head away as we might drive back via; Albania, Montenegro, Croatia etc.

I have watched numerous vlogs of MH owners doing similar and it is encouraging to see that they have all been pleasantly surprised by Albania and Montenegro with no sign of hassle and generally very good roads.

* subject to further charges.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

Re: My latest plan* winter in Europe

· 
Posted: 19.02.2023  ·  #2
You can easily cross Austria in a 3500+ MH without using the motorways and requiring a GO box

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2023  ·  #3
For travel through Switzerland with a 3500+ MH the most cost effective toll tariff is to get a 10day annual pass. This costs SFR32.50. It is valid for any 10days within a one year period with a day being used up for every day the MH is in the country, used or not. Note that there is a ‘toll’ requirement for ALL roads in Switzerland if you are 3500+. There is no effective way to avoid the toll.

The other option is to buy for SFR25 minimum a pass which will allow 7 or 8 consecutive days at SFR3.25 each

The SFR40 vignette you refer to is NOT valid for 3500+ vehicles.

https://www.bazg.admin.ch/bazg…-sum-.html

https://www.bazg.admin.ch/bazg…zeuge.html

https://www.bazg.admin.ch/dam/…gepsva.pdf

https://www.bazg.admin.ch/dam/…abgabe.pdf

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2023  ·  #4
Quote by kabundi

For travel through Switzerland with a 3500+ MH the most cost effective toll tariff is to get a 10day annual pass. This costs SFR32.50. It is valid for any 10days within a one year period with a day being used up for every day the MH is in the country, used or not. Note that there is a ‘toll’ requirement for ALL roads in Switzerland if you are 3500+. There is no effective way to avoid the toll.

The other option is to buy for SFR25 minimum a pass which will allow 7 or 8 consecutive days at SFR3.25 each

The SFR40 vignette you refer to is NOT valid for 3500+ vehicles.

https://www.bazg.admin.ch/bazg…-sum-.html

https://www.bazg.admin.ch/bazg…zeuge.html

https://www.bazg.admin.ch/dam/…gepsva.pdf

https://www.bazg.admin.ch/dam/…abgabe.pdf

Yes my reference to €40 was the sfr 25 plus daily travel cost.

Thank you for clarifying.

Liked by: kabundi

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2023  ·  #5
Note for those thinking of crossing Switzerland to come to Italy.
They will almost certainly travel on the German A96 motorway, reaching Switzerland requires a short passage in Austria.
The last German town before the Austrian border is Lindau (exit No.2 of the motorway, if you continue you will already be in Austria with its rules for using their motorways (vignette or Go-Box).

- Vehicles under 3.5 tons:
The section of the Austrian A14 motorway (continuation of the German A96) which goes from Lindau (or better Lochau) to Altach has been made exempt from vignettes.
Which means you can continue, I recommend leaving it at Hohenems/Diepoldsau.
A three-kilometre drive takes you to the Swiss A13.

- Vehicles over 3.5 tons:
They still require the Go-Box. Unless you follow my instructions below and skip the Austrian motorway.
Leave the German A96 at Lindau exit No.2.
At the traffic lights, turn left and continue along the lake to Bregenz.
Drive through the town (ignore signs towards the motorway) and continue in the direction of Hard, Fußach and Höchst.
Here, turn left towards Sankt Margrethen (A-CH border).
There you will enter the Swiss motorway A13 which skirts Liechtenstein and will take you south.

On the A13 continue in the direction of Chur-San Bernardino-Lugano.
The ascent to the pass is practicable without problems.
Beware of speed limits and speed cameras, the Swiss are very efficient in delivering fines to your home.
After the pass, an interminable descent, low gears and few brakes, takes you to the Ticinese plain.
At that point, just over fifty kilometers and you will be in Italy.

Have a nice journey, Max

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2023  ·  #6
Swiss fines...
Probably after "B" it doesn't apply to UK citizens but it almost certainly does to Schengen ones.
The Swiss are very precise in sending fines home.
If immortalized, you can expect it within a week from "flash".

Typically you have thirty days to pay, after those the cost skyrockets, later you can run into a court case.
No problem except that if you don't come home before the deadline...
...did you understand ?

Other points with speed-cameras are the underground traffic systems of Lucerne and Basel.

Max

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2023  ·  #7
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.