StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Dare to be fair. Electric use

· 
Posted: 05.02.2023  ·  #1
Some of you will have noticed that this has been a reoccurring topic for me (electricity consumption), sorry.
On my site for the last 9 seasons I charged an extra €3 if a camper wanted to avail of my 16 amp ehus. But with some users using 20/30 kWh per 24 hours €3 was no longer an option.

I have several good suggestions on here to lower the supply (cheap fix) to 10amp, 6amp, 3amp the idea being if the supply is less you can only use less. I did consider this but discounted it. JJF (thank you) sent me a link to meters that could be fitted to existing Ehu outlets, only they couldn’t as I did not have the space in the distribution boards. I couldn’t fit similar on the main fuse board board as some rcds were for more than one ehu socket.

I looked at new individual metered ehu sockets but couldn’t find any supplier in Ireland, plenty in GB but with Vat, import duty etc they were very expensive.

I finally sourced a supplier in Germany who could supply a one socket ehu with a trip switch and mini meter for €60 before vat, the 2 gang ehus are €90 and 3 gang distribution boards are €120 all sockets are metered with individual trips.

If anyone wants my suppliers details please e mail me.

Also if any wants any 1.2 or 4 gang ehus non metered free of charge please email me, they’ll be collection only or you arrange pick up.

So for 2023 electric will still be an optional extra and I will charge exactly what it costs me. I think I’ll see a reduction in heating left on 24/7 and a reduction of high electric users who will go to fixed fee sites. I don’t mind loosing the high electric users as they had to subsidised from profit margins anyway.

We open for Paddy’s weekend this year and close on 3 of September as we are doing a 5/6 month winter trip this year.

Regards Jamie and Amanda

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Dare to be fair. Electric use

· 
Posted: 05.02.2023  ·  #2
I think this high use of electricity is a UK /Irish thing.
UK spec caravans and mh's are loaded with electric stuff including electric hobs and gas/electric water and space heating.
Continental units usually have gas only water/space heating and gas only cookers, which is why 6amp trips seem to be the accepted norm in Europe

The provision of a supply which facilitates high power consumption items only leads to potentially damaging voltage drops when a site is full and and/or when the weather is cold. I've lost count of the number of times my AES fridge has automatically changed back to gas from electricity due to insufficient voltage when I've been on Irish sites. The same low voltage conditions are also not good for other voltage sensitive stuff like tv's, microwaves, satellite boxes, chargers, etc.
A 6amp supply limits the draw from the grid, through the main board and the in-house circuits, meaning lighter wiring and equipment.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2023  ·  #3
A fair solution Jamie.
High consumption is no longer feasible for owners to supply without the usage being monitored.
My 3 points now reduced to 4 amps too as the kw/h rate is now so expensive.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2023  ·  #4
Hi Jamie, just for interest, how are you going to manage the 5/6 months away this year.?

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2023  ·  #5
Quote by sprinter

Hi Jamie, just for interest, how are you going to manage the 5/6 months away this year.?

Brexit rules no longer apply, to us, we can do more than 90 days in any 180 now.

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2023  ·  #6
I'm sure you'll get it right Jamie, you know my thoughts. 😁

6amps, like it or lump it. EHU should be for your fridge and charging your battery only, if you haven't learned to use your Motorhome without EHU maybe hotels would suit better 😇

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2023  ·  #7
Quote by Ally

I'm sure you'll get it right Jamie, you know my thoughts. 😁

6amps, like it or lump it. EHU should be for your fridge and charging your battery only, if you haven't learned to use your Motorhome without EHU maybe hotels would suit better 😇

I do know and understand your thoughts, lowing the supply would be quick and by far the cheapest option.

The sad facts are that very few campers (tents, caravans or MH users) understand how much electricity any device uses. A decent proportion will understand that they have tripped the RCD and will reset it however there’s far too many who will just phone me or call at the house saying I have a problem with the electric supply, this happens now when it is their faulty lead or device and business hours don’t matter when they don’t get what they have paid for.
I’ve been on sites where my neighbours have tripped our power too or had to call the manager out multiple times to re set the trip after plugging in too much.

Think how many new campers there are last year and the year before and probably this year. First time campers, first time hiring a MH, knowledge comes with experience.

The meters will make people think about what they truly need to use.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2023  ·  #8
You soon learn if you overuse on sites in Spain.

Many are 50 cent per kw/h over their allowance of 2kw/h per day.

Saw a guy loose the plot with the lady at reception when he had a €200 overuse bill when he went to pay his bill.
He must have had fridge, his heating, his water heating and possibly a heater in his awning + all the other ancillaries.

I’m not going to lie, I think he deserved it if he didn’t know or understand his usage.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2023  ·  #9
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Quote by sprinter

Brexit rules no longer apply, to us, we can do more than 90 days in any 180 now.

👏👏👏👍

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2023  ·  #10
Quote by sprinter

Quote by sprinter

👏👏👏👍

It’s called the Schengen shuffle,eastern Europe is a popular way now to get out of the zone,

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2023  ·  #11

How come? This a new rule or did you go Full Irish? :)

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2023  ·  #12
Quote by Ally

How come? This a new rule or did you go Full Irish? :)

One of us is now an Irish citizen!!!!! Hence cutting our winter break short.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2023  ·  #13
Quote by relay racer

Quote by sprinter

Quote by sprinter

👏👏👏👍

It’s called the Schengen shuffle,eastern Europe is a popular way now to get out of the zone,

I don’t fancy Morocco and Croatia is now part of the S” Zone

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2023  ·  #14
Bulgaria, Europe side of turkey, , a good few German and Dutch vans there last summer

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2023  ·  #15
Quote by relay racer

Bulgaria, Europe side of turkey, , a good few German and Dutch vans there last summer

Trouble is I’m traveling in winter. It can be cold and a lack of availability.

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2023  ·  #16
This time last year Northern turkey was bad weather for about a Month,its the same this year but not for as long,there’s an Italian family who are just returning from morroco on YouTube,weather brilliant,and treated like royalty,very detailed vlog

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.