Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

Non Ignition 😐

· 
Posted: 25.12.2022  ·  #1
Here’s a teaser to think about while digesting the Xmas dinner

Ignition isn’t coming on. Intermittent, it’s happened last couple of times went to start it, but worked eventually.

The ignition switch is new. I also tried the old one back in.

Investigating shows a 12V feed coming in on a brown wire. Presumably this gets transferred to two other terminals when the ignition is tuned on, and to another red wire when key turned to start.
What’s happening though is that when the ignition is turned to on, the 12V feed is dropping to zero.

I’m scratching my head as to why this is so.

Luckily it started fine today, got to our destination 50miles and as I went to reverse, it cut out and now ignition won’t turn on.

Cigarette lighter, electric window and hazards work ok. Battery charge is good.
I’ve tried a jump lead from neg battery terminal to the engine block in case it was something to do with an earth.

Any thoughts?

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Non Ignition 😐

· 
Posted: 25.12.2022  ·  #2
Take off negative from battery and clean the terminal, then the battery connector,
next go to where the negative bolts to the chassis or engine and do the sanme,

Next do the same with the positive from battery and where it bolts to the starter, take off all connectiins and clean with emery paper or similar, i had a problem with the starter on my one and i rang a school friend that is an auto electrician to book it in with him and he advised to do the above,
it solved my problem, (think i posted here at the time)
If that dosent fix your problem it will rule it out

Liked by: Europa, sprinter

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2022  ·  #3
Quote by mad max

Take off negative from battery and clean the terminal, then the battery connector,
next go to where the negative bolts to the chassis or engine and do the sanme,

Next do the same with the positive from battery and where it bolts to the starter, take off all connectiins and clean with emery paper or similar, i had a problem with the starter on my one and i rang a school friend that is an auto electrician to book it in with him and he advised to do the above,
it solved my problem, (think i posted here at the time)
If that dosent fix your problem it will rule it out

Thanks Max but the lights on dash don’t light up at all, so not even getting as far as to try to turn the starter.
When the ignition does come on, it starts straight up.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2022  ·  #4
Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2022  ·  #5
Quote by JJF

Ignition contact.

Where’s that Jon?
I changed the ignition barrel.
I also pulled the contacts out of the van side connector block and put them onto the contacts in the ignition side contacts.
I don’t understand why the 12v is dropping to zero when the key turns ignition to on.

I’ll pull the dash out tomorrow to try to find out where this 12v feed is coming from.

Might be an extended stay 😄

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2022  ·  #6
Ignition contact is the block at the back of the ignition barrel with a multi plug connecting the main loom.
It’s common fault on our older vehicles.

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2022  ·  #7
Quote by JJF

Ignition contact is the block at the back of the ignition barrel with a multi plug connecting the main loom.

I was looking at that when I discovered the 12v was dripping.

I’ll cut both connectors off and use a connector block instead.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2022  ·  #8
Not 100% sure on your vehicle electrics…. I’d need to look at the schematic.
But
There may be a CDR (central distribution relay) possibly 100 Ah , it may have a high resistance across the contacts if it is present. If so them replace or bypass it until you get one.

Quote by Galldar

Quote by JJF

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2022  ·  #9
Darren I’d be confident your problem lies in the ignition switch/connector block. They carry a serious load and are prone to overheating. But my knowledge is very basic.

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2022  ·  #10
Quote by Albert the Talbot

Darren I’d be confident your problem lies in the ignition switch/connector block. They carry a serious load and are prone to overheating. But my knowledge is very basic.

The terminals do look a bit brown Brian (and the brown wire 12v feed one has already previously been wired separately to the block) so I hope it’s as simple as that.
I did try wiggling them around but to no avail.
I’ll hard wire the connections somehow tomorrow I hope and see how it goes.

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2022  ·  #11
Quote by JJF

Not 100% sure on your vehicle electrics…. I’d need to look at the schematic.
But
There may be a CDR (central distribution relay) possibly 100 Ah , it may have a high resistance across the contacts if it is present. If so them replace or bypass it until you get one.

Quote by Galldar

Quote by JJF

I don’t see a central relay in the diagrams Jon, it’s even harder to see any relays under the bonnet!

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2022  ·  #12
I just read on the Talbot Owners Club with a full timer with the same problem, he sorted it by removing and cleaning all the fuses

Liked by: Galldar

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.12.2022  ·  #13
Quote by Albert the Talbot

I just read on the Talbot Owners Club with a full timer with the same problem, he sorted it by removing and cleaning all the fuses

Don’t suppose he said where these fuses are to be found 🤔

Edit:
Found the post, I’ll have a look in the glove box too

What a coincidence, same problem on the same day!

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.12.2022  ·  #14
In the glove compartment there is a gang of fuses behind a removable panel

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.12.2022  ·  #15
I used to use this stuff for cleaning multi pin plugs, when at work.
Chemtronics 418 ml Aerosol Contact Cleaner. From RS components.

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.12.2022  ·  #16
Original ignition barrel back in and good connector connections, cleaned them don’t have a connector block to replace like I’d hoped.
Put battery charger on cos thought it was getting a bit low at 12.5 from messing with it on and off.
While charger on, in the dash lights up every time so far.
Turned off charger and started ok. Got back in to knock it off, hit the break pedal and engine stopped.
Did this several times now, start it up, seems ok, but after a few mins running touching the brake kills the engine, though the dash lights are staying on at least.

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.12.2022  ·  #17
Ok so I took the instrument display out to trace back the 12V feed.

Traced it through the loom and found another connector block over the driver side wheel arch (RHD). Looked a bit brown and could not seperate it. Having wiggled it around for a while the van started and ran fine, couldn't get the engine to stop (other than turning the ignition off).
Measured about half a volt difference from one side of the connector to the other.

I cut the wire out on each side of the connector and put it into a connector strip. Looking into the old connector it looks like had been getting hot, possibly was arcing.

Dash lit up each time, voltage at the ignition is now measuring the same as at the fuse panel, it had been a bit lower when measured previously.

Took the chance and drove home (all family on board), about 50km, no issues at all on the way, even got caught in some start/stop traffic along the way (don't think I ever held my breath so long :) )

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Non Ignition 😐

· 
Posted: 28.12.2022  ·  #18
Darren that looks to be fairly supstantial wireing, have you any idea what each one feeds to?

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.12.2022  ·  #19
Quote by sprinter

Darren that looks to be fairly supstantial wireing, have you any idea what each one feeds to?

No idea Martin, it was difficult enough to find the one of interest, I’d guess they go up to the main fuse panel though.
They were very frugal with their cable, not much slack at all.
The 12v feed to ignition was brown, but after this connector the van side was red.
There’s also a pink cable, but I couldn’t find these in the engine bay, may well be another connector somewhere.

Liked by: sprinter

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.12.2022  ·  #20
we just got our van sorted last week i think .hope. pray. it was found that the ignition wire was intermitantly rubbing against the chasis and even wore though the loom housing and blowing the 30 amp ignition fuse all the time when i tryed to start it up ,but thats not all ,apparently the cable going to the starter from the battery sat tight next to it in the loom had also been hitting the chasis or arcing also and was getting drained of power,especially on long jouneys i would have drove 40 or 50 miles and got to the point were it wouldnt start so put us of the road for a while ,[ you werent to far away about the mice martin ha ha ] , is there any chance galldar that your ignition cable is being messed with by a the faulty brake light cable ,either way hope you got that sorted

Liked by: Galldar, ntg, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Non Ignition

· 
Posted: 29.12.2022  ·  #21
Quote by Galldar

Quote by sprinter

No idea Martin, it was difficult enough to find the one of interest, I’d guess they go up to the main fuse panel though.
They were very frugal with their cable, not much slack at all.
The 12v feed to ignition was brown, but after this connector the van side was red.
There’s also a pink cable, but I couldn’t find these in the engine bay, may well be another connector somewhere.

Electrical faults are rarely straight forward, the burning effect you see on the block, could be the fault 🤞but it also could be the result of something further down the line and it is the weekest connection, I would advise spend a little more time following the wires, to see what they feed, maybe disconnect each in turn to see what doesn't work and look at it.
I know, a pain in the butt,but think of the money you will save, when stuck in the electrics, instead of the pub.🤔

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Non Ignition

· 
Posted: 29.12.2022  ·  #22
Quote by relay racer

we just got our van sorted last week i think .hope. pray. it was found that the ignition wire was intermitantly rubbing against the chasis and even wore though the loom housing and blowing the 30 amp ignition fuse all the time when i tryed to start it up ,but thats not all ,apparently the cable going to the starter from the battery sat tight next to it in the loom had also been hitting the chasis or arcing also and was getting drained of power,especially on long jouneys i would have drove 40 or 50 miles and got to the point were it wouldnt start so put us of the road for a while ,[ you werent to far away about the mice martin ha ha ] , is there any chance galldar that your ignition cable is being messed with by a the faulty brake light cable ,either way hope you got that sorted

That's great Jason, a rubbing cable can be fixed, but I've known of the little Varmits, writeoff a 2016 Forrestor and 2020 Megan

Liked by: relay racer

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2022  ·  #23
Quote by relay racer

Well done on finding that short to chassis, couldn’t have been easy.
I don’t think the brake light is faulty, brake lights lit up fine, I think possibly the extra drain on the battery was enough the drop the voltage through the bad connection to the ignition to knock off the ignition. It would happen sometimes before (when the engine would cut out) only when the headlights/sidelights were on and coming to a stop or idling (so I probably had brake pedal pressed too).
Brake light got plenty of use on that trip home, got stuck in traffic, so I’m optimistic that the connector block was the problem, it’ll take a few trips away to see 🤞

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2022  ·  #24
it’ll take a few trips away to see 🤞

Definitely the best way to test it 😁😁

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2022  ·  #25
Quote by Galldar

Quote by relay racer

Well done on finding that short to chassis, couldn’t have been easy.
I don’t think the brake light is faulty, brake lights lit up fine, I think possibly the extra drain on the battery was enough the drop the voltage through the bad connection to the ignition to knock off the ignition. It would happen sometimes before (when the engine would cut out) only when the headlights/sidelights were on and coming to a stop or idling (so I probably had brake pedal pressed too).
Brake light got plenty of use on that trip home, got stuck in traffic, so I’m optimistic that the connector block was the problem, it’ll take a few trips away to see 🤞

i dont mean the brake light ,i meant that cable,but this is strange ,shows how much i know ,if your battery is even dead why would that turn the engine off, if its running and driving along fine.

Liked by: Galldar

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2022  ·  #26
Quote by relay racer

i dont mean the brake light ,i meant that cable,but this is strange ,shows how much i know ,if your battery is even dead why would that turn the engine off, if its running and driving along fine.

I don't know a whole lot either Jason, learning as we go.

I don't know much about tumble driers either, yet here I am with one disassembled in front of me, laptop running youtube to my side 😊

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.