Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Travel Insurance

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #1
Have had multi trip travel insurance for the last few years with Vhi. It used to be reasonable. But now both of us are over 65 and thay limit individual trips to 30 days max. They have an add on for up to 60 days but it doubles the premium to over €320 for both of us. Has anyone come across anything cheaper? Do you think travel insurance is necessary when away abroad in the motorhome?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Travel Insurance

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #2
Try Getcover.ie , something I look for is repatriation if you needed an air ambulance home due to serious illness,not too bothered about cancellation or luggage etc

Liked by: sprinter, Thornwood

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Travel Insurance

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #3
Quote by Thornwood

Have had multi trip travel insurance for the last few years with Vhi. It used to be reasonable. But now both of us are over 65 and thay limit individual trips to 30 days max. They have an add on for up to 60 days but it doubles the premium to over €320 for both of us. Has anyone come across anything cheaper? Do you think travel insurance is necessary when away abroad in the motorhome?

how many trips can you take per year,how long do you have to be home before you can go again?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2022  ·  #4
We used to buy multi-trip with the 180-day add-on, then we bought a single trip for 150 days (iirc) but when I passed 70 those products became unsuitable because of restrictions or overly expensive.

I had a discussion with my private health insurance provider who reminded me that I (we) have €100,000 medical cover while traveling as part of the standard policy cover. Add that to the benefits of the European Health Insurance Card and we decided to forego separate holiday insurance.
Considering that we are traveling in our own motorhome and not subject to the vagaries of air travel, missed flights, lost luggage, etc. all but the health cover elements of holiday insurance are irrelevant.
If one or both of us ends up in a hospital in Europe the EHIC will get us the same attention as at home, only better. We know that from personal experience.
The only 'shortfall' is not having repatriation, dead or alive, and we can live with that :P

Liked by: eirebus, Gar99, sprinter

Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2022  ·  #5
Quote by sprinter

how many trips can you take per year,how long do you have to be home before you can go again?

Up to 180 days a year. No limit on the number of trips. Max trip length 30 days for basic price of €163.

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Travel Insurance

· 
Posted: 16.11.2022  ·  #6
Quote by Thornwood

Quote by sprinter

Up to 180 days a year. No limit on the number of trips. Max trip length 30 days for basic price of €163.

So for the 320€ you could get a cheep return flight home every 29days and phone the insurance company from a landline, in the airport, ask a really stupid awkward question. Return on your trip?

Liked by: eirebus

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.