ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Rapido rooflight problem

· 
Posted: 03.11.2022  ·  #1

My Remis rooflight is not opening and closing properly. The large cable that has popped out of its plastic retainers ( they are broken) and the rooflight no longer lifts or closes properly. Last year there was some noises coming from it when opening and closing, I put some silicon grease on the mechanism and lifting arms, which seemed to help. When the van went in to the dealer for its annual hab check before we left for our last trip in August, I mentioned the problem, they said they lubricated it and problem solved. I see that at least 4 of the retaining clips are broken, and find it hard to believe they all broke since the hab check ( although I suppose it is possible). I have uploaded some photos, has this happened to anyone on the forum? What was the solution?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Rapido rooflight problem

· 
Posted: 03.11.2022  ·  #2
It looks a lot like a Heki 3 unit are you sure it's a Remis.
If spares are not available perhaps a DIY fix is possible using cable ties or hot glue built up to mimic the original clips or something like modified cable clips to keep the loose cable in place.
The question is though, why is there such pressure in the system to burst the original clips, or is it just old plastic becoming brittle.

Liked by: ColinM

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2022  ·  #3
Hi Colin, I looked for a make on the rooflight and couldn't find it, I've just checked the manufacturer brochures and manual, there's no make mentioned there either. I did a search and there's a video on YouTube by Motoroamers, where the guy had a similar problem with his rooflight, (that looked identical, the title of the video was "remus rooflight fix", so that's where I got the make from,) but all his clips seemed to be intact. My van is only 2018, so I hope it's not the plastic becoming brittle. It's worrying that there's so much pressure that the clips failed, the cable ties sounds a possibility until I can get someone to have a look. I'll probably give Simon a call at Leisure Tech.

Liked by: baguette, sprinter

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2022  ·  #4
The way that cable has expanded would seem like it has reacted badly to the lubricant that was used.

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2024  ·  #5
During the recent storms, a strong gust of wind took the rooflight clean off the top of the van. I found it the next day, broken lying at the front of the van. Fortunately it hadn't rained too much, and we had water resistant covers on the seats, so the inside of the van was remarkably dry. Simon and Mark at Leisure Technical ordered replacement part from Dometic ( Remis don't make the part anymore), and had it fitted within a couple of days. Great job and great service 👍

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Rapido rooflight problem

· 
Posted: 15.02.2024  ·  #6
Quote by ColinM

During the recent storms, a strong gust of wind took the rooflight clean off the top of the van. I found it the next day, broken lying at the front of the van. Fortunately it hadn't rained too much, and we had water resistant covers on the seats, so the inside of the van was remarkably dry. Simon and Mark at Leisure Technical ordered replacement part from Dometic ( Remis don't make the part anymore), and had it fitted within a couple of days. Great job and great service 👍

I'm still waiting for a bit of decent weather to replace the one I broke in France, the new one is under the bed in the locker. :-)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.