The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Running out of fuel?

· 
Posted: 27.09.2022  ·  #1
My van cut out a couple of months back. I couldn’t start it. It then struck me that the fuel gauge seemed to be on 3 bars for a long time. So I managed to put some diesel in and it started. It seemed straight forward enough that the gauge was stuck on 3 bars. Once refueled the gauge jumped up. I figured the fuel sender might right itself but made sure to keep a fuel canister not let the gauge run down to 3 bars, until I was ready and willing to test it out.

Well that moment came last weekend and sure enough it ran out of fuel at 3 bars. This time it didn’t stay on 3 bars for very long. Not very likely no at all. So I don’t know what to make of that. But assuming the tank was empty there and then, I put in 10 liters of diesel from the can. Once I got to a service station, minutes later, I managed to put in another 60 liters. That’s all that would fit without overspilling on the forecourt. So now I’m not sure what to think. I think the tank capacity is 80 liters, but I could only put in a total of 70 and I probably overfilled it.

Is it possible the fuel gauge is reading correctly but that the fuel in the bottom of the tank is not reaching the engine? Could there be an air lock in the fuel pump? Could there be a dislodged fuel pipe?

Liked by: Ally, sprinter

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Running out of fuel?

· 
Posted: 27.09.2022  ·  #2
Jason, if the fuel sender/pump assy had been taken out in the past and not put back in square nor fully seated to the bottom of the tank then that could raise the concern you mention…… even possibly the sender sticking up.

Also if the lift pipe to the tank base is cracked it will stop drawing fuel when the level drops below the crack.

Worth checking the above.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Running out of fuel?

· 
Posted: 27.09.2022  ·  #3
Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI.
Fuel tank 80ltrs.
105 ltr optional not availability on minibus

Liked by: The Rambler

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #4
I could try some sort of a dipstick but I bet it wouldn’t go down vertical and touch the bottom of the tank. Or maybe a camera. 🤔

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #5
Quote by JJF

Jason, if the fuel sender/pump assy had been taken out in the past and not put back in square nor fully seated to the bottom of the tank then that could raise the concern you mention…… even possibly the sender sticking up.

Also if the lift pipe to the tank base is cracked it will stop drawing fuel when the level drops below the crack.

Worth checking the above.

Just thinking about that Jon, I can rule out the first part as the sender/pump had no work done prior to this first occurring. So maybe the the cracked fuel pipe hypothesis needs investigation.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #6
I wonder if there is an electric pump in the tank?
They can seize when the fuel level drops below a certain level (Peugeot/ford diesel cars had the issue) as they can actually overheat. Once cool they run again, so when covered in fuel they remain cooler.
If you switch the ignition off & on and briefly hit start you may hear it running …. Or if you PM me the registration I’d look it up on autodata to see.

But needs sorting, bit of a pain not to know.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.