My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Re: Donagheys Motorhomes closing

· 
Posted: 16.09.2022  ·  #41
Quote by lapsed

Quote by ROBANDSUE

Just back from France and the amount of motorhomes on forecourts waiting to be collected or waiting to be sold is eye-watering.

Did you notice any prices ?

No I didn't. Just seen them as we were driving

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2022  ·  #42
Quote by eirebus

Quote by ntg

When importing from the UK i know that you all have to pay a substantial import tax, if you import direct from another EU country does that charge still apply?

Unfortunately yes

Well surely that must take the biscuit, if I am correct Ireland are a zero contributor therefore all the money is coming to Ireland from the EU.
How then can Ireland penalise its own people by charging them for purchasing from the nation that is supporting them?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2022  ·  #43
Quote by ntg

Well surely that must take the biscuit, if I am correct Ireland are a zero contributor therefore all the money is coming to Ireland from the EU.
How then can Ireland penalise its own people by charging them for purchasing from the nation that is supporting them?

Technically it’s called ‘Gombeenism’, the Irish politician is an absolute expert at it, in fact it’s the only thing the useless assholes know how to do correctly.

Liked by: ntg, ROBANDSUE

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2022  ·  #44
Quote by JJF

Quote by ntg

Technically it’s called ‘Gombeenism’, the Irish politician is an absolute expert at it, in fact it’s the only thing the useless assholes know how to do correctly.

Well Jon you learn something every day 👍

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2022  ·  #45
Quote by sprinter

Quote by baguette

LHD also opens up possibility of doing a trading in deal with a mainland European dealer.

It would be interesting to know, how that work, if it was a French van, would they put it back on the original plates, or would they have to go to the same rigmarole as here, getting it reregesteted. There would hardly be any import duty on it.

I don't know about the process at the French/German /Belgian end but I have been given quotes to change by dealers in those countries in the past, one in hindsight I should have moved with. None of them expressed any reservations about taking my irish reg vehicle as a trade in.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2022  ·  #46
Quote by eirebus

Quote by ntg

When importing from the UK i know that you all have to pay a substantial import tax, if you import direct from another EU country does that charge still apply?

Unfortunately yes

Free movement of goods and services says no import taxes between member states.
Vehicle Registration Tax is a separate domestic tax, not an import tax.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2022  ·  #47
Quote by ntg

Quote by eirebus

Quote by ntg

Unfortunately yes

For the record in 2020 Ireland contributed €2.615 billion towards the EU budget and received €2.255 billion, which makes us a net contributor of €360 million

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2022  ·  #48
Quote by ntg

Quote by eirebus

Quote by ntg

Unfortunately yes

For the record in 2020 Ireland contributed €2.615 billion towards the EU budget and received €2.255 billion, which makes us a net contributor of €360 million

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2022  ·  #49
Ok Colin i accept that ireland do now pay something towards the EU but regardless of how it is dressed up the tax imposed on someone importing a vehicle into ireland is surely an import tax .
The only reason that i am commenting on this is because of the many times people make mention of this tax on this site after they have made a purchase.

Liked by: sprinter

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2022  ·  #50
Only certainty in life, death and taxes,😅

Liked by: ntg, sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2022  ·  #51
Quote by ntg

Ok Colin i accept that ireland do now pay something towards the EU but regardless of how it is dressed up the tax imposed on someone importing a vehicle into ireland is surely an import tax .
The only reason that i am commenting on this is because of the many times people make mention of this tax on this site after they have made a purchase.

Prior to 1993 Ireland imposed an import excise duty on vehicle imports. The practice was declared contrary to the free movement of goods and services by the EU and Ireland was told to discontinue the practice. To protect the income generated by the import tax the Irish government directly replaced the import tax with the VRT which we are now plagued with. A move seen as not within the spirit of the EU's single market requirements.
Currently there is a very slow moving challenge by the EU to the cute hoor move in 1993

Liked by: JJF, ntg, sprinter

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2022  ·  #52
Quote by sprinter

Quote by JJF

The biggest problem with Motorhomes supply for the Irish/UK market is that the manufacturers are fulfilling orders for LHD vehicles for the European market and RHD vehicles for the relatively small UK/IRL market are forced to take a back seat.

Plus you can bet the extra hassle selling units in to the UK, will make some of them consider is it worth while,
The Irish Market is probably less then, most of the 16 provences in Germany and also most of the 12 Regions in France, with a combined market of over 29 times the size of Ireland.
which puts it a long way down the line.
I think we're going to see a lot more new LHD Campers on Irish plates.

Our Rimor is LHD and I've always been delighted that it is. It's perfect for Europe (obviously, they insist on driving on the wrong side 🙄)
But it also has a distinct advantage in Ireland... when I see a narrow gap approaching I just hug the ditch on the left and turn up the radio.
(The radio trick is to drown out the shrieking from the passenger seat) 🙉

Liked by: eirebus, lapsed, ntg, R&N

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2022  ·  #53
Quote by eirebus

And nurses!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2022  ·  #54
Norman in answer to your question about import duty into the uk I can answer that first hand, if you are registering it in NI then no there is no duty but if you register in GB then yes there is. It’s why I bought mine in Germany. This applies to new vans, don’t know about used.

I got a temporary German number to bring it home and had the option of how long I wanted it for, I chose one month to give me time to get home and sort paperwork. I insured it with dolmen in that number prior to leaving the dealer and the rest is history

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Donagheys Motorhomes closing

· 
Posted: 18.09.2022  ·  #55
Quote by Albert the Talbot

Quote by eirebus

And nurses!

There has to something making it worth while, 👩‍⚕️

Gar99
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Roller team 295P
Base Vehicle: Renault Master dci150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2022  ·  #56
Quote by baguette

My mh is LHD ordered new from a UK dealer. The base vehicle had extras not available on RHD models.
The LHD is just perfect for touring on mainland Europe and no bother here at home.
LHD also opens up possibility of doing a trading in deal with a mainland European dealer.

What is the process of claiming back vrt . I assume revenue would not make it easy, I would be interested in going down this route having tried to sell my MH earlier this year.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2022  ·  #57
Quote by Gar99

Quote by baguette

My mh is LHD ordered new from a UK dealer. The base vehicle had extras not available on RHD models.
The LHD is just perfect for touring on mainland Europe and no bother here at home.

What is the process of claiming back vrt . I assume revenue would not make it easy, I would be interested in going down this route having tried to sell my MH earlier this year.

I'm not sure it's possible on a MoHo, can only be done on cars with a valid NCT AFAIK.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2022  ·  #58
Quote by <BM>

Quote by Gar99

Quote by baguette

I'm not sure it's possible on a MoHo, can only be done on cars with a valid NCT AFAIK.

Motorhomes are in the same VRT category as commercial vehicles which is not refundable on re-export.
Originally the VRT on motorhomes was the same as commercial vehicles at a fixed rate of €50. When the VRT was changed to a percentage, like for cars, it was not moved to the category for cars (which is refundable) but left at the same category as applies to commercial vehicles which is not refundable.
The fixed rate is now €200 which is basically an admin charge which is is probably why its a non refundable category.
The above is just one other example of the disfunctional attitude in various government agencies to motorhome owners and their vehicles.

Liked by: eirebus, Gar99, sprinter

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2022  ·  #59
Quote by baguette

Quote by <BM>

Quote by Gar99

Quote by baguette

Motorhomes are in the same VRT category as commercial vehicles which is not refundable on re-export.
Originally the VRT on motorhomes was the same as commercial vehicles at a fixed rate of €50. When the VRT was changed to a percentage, like for cars, it was not moved to the category for cars (which is refundable) but left at the same category as applies to commercial vehicles which is not refundable.
The fixed rate is now €200 which is basically an admin charge which is is probably why its a non refundable category.
The above is just one other example of the disfunctional attitude in various government agencies to motorhome owners and their vehicles.

There's definitely room to challenge it on the basis of the EU ruling that led to the refunds on the export of cars but it would only apply in instances where more than the minimum had been payed in the first place and the charge was levied on the notional value of the van.
On the old system, anything with an unladen weight >3000kg only paid €50 like you say, my own included I expect.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2022  ·  #60
R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2022  ·  #61
It’s a pity Donaghys couldn’t be turned into an Aire.

Liked by: eirebus

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.12.2022  ·  #62
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2023  ·  #63
Coming up to a year ago, time flies!

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2023  ·  #64
They were a great company to deal with,

Liked by: winkie

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.