baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: spain portugal

· 
Posted: 24.08.2022  ·  #2
As October turns into November lots of places fill up with us northern Europeans heading south for the winter. If you have a bit of a plan it is no harm to try and book a few places ahead of time. I know it's not the way we like to be free and easy as we tour. Last year when we were in Portugal and Spain in January, February and a lot of March, basically until the snowbirds started heading back north to home we often ended up parked on streets after finding three or four campsites or Aires full and no 'room at the Inn'. Both countries are cracking down heavily on unofficial overnight parking at beaches.
Get the paid version of the Campercontact and Park4Night apps, they are well worth the few Euro.
Regarding the phone, many offer unlimited data but chech how much you will be getting while outside Ireland.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.08.2022  ·  #3
If you plan to use campsites it’s worth getting the ACSI book and discount card. There are quite a few campsites in Spain and Portugal that accept the ACSI discount card. I go around the same time and Find Oct and November much quieter and easier to find availability than Jan and Feb. Camping Albufeira is 10 minutes walk to the old town nice cheap basic site, plenty of commercial Aires in the same area.
I second Baguettes suggestion of Campercontact or park4night in Spain and Portugal.
Toll roads in Portugal you need a tag or to register with your bank card when you arrive into Portugal.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.08.2022  ·  #4
Nice one amethyst, (cant say I'm not jealous, but unfortunately still have to work and raise kids. Lol!)..we are just back from France and Spain in a self built crafter 5berth. I swear that I got 32mpg from my 2.5tdi 5cyclinder and kept it between 55and 60mph, thats fully loaded and often carrying a full 100litre water tank. I used redex with every fill. You will enjoy the repsol diesel reduction of 25%...we got diesel at 1.45euro per litre, and also you will enjoy the price of groceries in mercadona....its unreal how we are getting shafted by out cost of living. Happy truckin...

Ametyst
Craic'er
My Motorhome: vw crafter self built
Base Vehicle: crafter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.08.2022  ·  #5
Toll roads in Portugal you need a tag or to register with your bank card when you arrive into Portugal

can this be done befour i leave
ill most likly join these groups
going for its cvrt test tommoro
1628 vrt
log delivered today

Liked by: sprinter

Ametyst
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.08.2022  ·  #6
As you can imagine I am new to this bringing a camper abroad
It will be northern Spain and Portugal
Any particular documents needed
Do I have to have the headlights adjusted
Any stickers I have to put on
Tools equipment
Anything you found handy like thank god I brought that
Thanks everyone

johnnymac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria 660SP
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.08.2022  ·  #7
Pirahna
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.08.2022  ·  #8
I spent last winter in Spain, then bought a house (in Spain) and sold the van. My observations from travelling, in no particular order:

The Spanish are keen on campervans and aires tend to fill up Friday afternoon then empty out on Sunday. If you're staying on aires I'd suggest getting there by midday Friday and not leaving until Sunday, finding a park up on a Saturday can sometimes be tricky.

The middle of Spain is known as "empty Spain", everyone left to find work in the towns and cities. You won't have to drive too far out of Bilbao to find it and Empty Spain can be a depressing place, there's a government ministry set up to try and find solutions. What looks like a nice place to stop on Park4Night can be a village with 3 elderly residents, a mobile supermarket that stops once a fortnight and a bar that closed twenty years ago. Spain suffered with the financial crisis in the late 80's and is full of half built flats and houses. Put those on the edge of a crumbling village with very few residents and it can be a disheartening experience.

Once you find the bits where people live, Spain changes into a vibrant, happening place. There are so many places to see and things to do you'd need a couple of lifetimes to get it all done. The Spanish people are lovely, friendly, helpful. As usual keep your wits about you, especially in the bigger places, there's no more crime than anywhere else though and I feel very safe here.

The country is mountainous and can get it's share of snow, something to be aware of if you're driving around in the winter.

I've been driving in Europe for many years and have never bothered with headlight beam adjust stickers. I've never been stopped or flashed by other drivers at night. You should carry 2 warning triangles and a flouro vest for every occupant of the vehicle. I think there's a law about having a spare wheel or being able to fix a puncture but that's something I'd recommend everyone has. Be aware of the speed limit for your type of van, the Police aren't shy of handing out on the spot fines.

If you're using campsites in the off season an ACSI card might be useful.

There was a thread about hose connectors a couple of weeks ago, bring all the stuff I mentioned on it. A means of filling the van water without being next to a tap is handy too.

If you're using electric hook up get a 2 pin adaptor for your 3 pin lead as mentioned above, you'll probably definitely more than likely use it.

The beach park ups can get full very quickly, which leads to illegal parking, which leads to the Police knocking on the van at 4am with an on the spot fine and being told to move or you'll get another fine. If you fancy the seaside, and who doesn't (me actually, I've no interest whatsover in beaches) talk to other people you meet and get tips from them as to where is full, good, bad.

I've no opinion or advice on Portugal, it does look very nice though.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2022  ·  #9
If you find yourself in the north of Portugal on the coast near Porto, the coastal municipality's of Vila do Conde and Povoa de Varzim might be worth a stop off. While Porto has taken off as an international tourist destination (thanks to Ryanair), V.d.Conde and Povoa, just a 20 minute drive away, is 100% Portuguese tourism practically and has a bit of a resort feel to it (Algarve for the Portuguese). Campervans park up down past 'the Castle' at the V.d.Conde end, in what looks like an unofficial aire.

Ametyst
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2022  ·  #10
Forte de São João Baptista de Vila do Conde
just checked this out in google maps
if this is the area you are talking about
then its areaies like this i like
I used to have a wooden sail boat; kings ametyst'
I wouldn’t mind a day or two just walking around
Looking at history

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2022  ·  #11
That's the one, the 'Castle'. The parking spot I'm talking about is a few hundred yards down the road here, away from the promenade toward the old town centre. Motorhomes have been parking there for years. I know there is a crackdown on MH parking in recent years but they were still parked there when I last visited (4 weeks ago).

The promenade stretches all the way down to Povoa which makes for good cycling and you'll see a steady stream of walkers who set off in Porto doing the Camino de Santiago. Povoa has a historic town centre too.

Liked by: Ametyst

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.