Second hand motorhome

Previous history

lapsed
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Second hand motorhome

· 
Posted: 27.06.2022  ·  #1
My pre-loved 😸 motorhome is a left-hand drive yoke , registered in Ireland around 2011. However, I have a distinct feeling that it's had a left-hand drive existence if you get my drift ! The change of ownership doc now carries no info other than my name. I knows the previous owners name but nothing before that.
I did a vehicle search but GDPR prevents them naming names. Any bright ideas ? DETHLEFFS don't answer e-mails.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Second hand motorhome

· 
Posted: 27.06.2022  ·  #2
If its on an irish plate it should have the previous registration number on it if it was imported,

If you read the index it should say previous reg no or similar,
if it was English French German or what ever,

What makes you think something is a miss?

lapsed
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2022  ·  #3
Quote by mad max

If its on an irish plate it should have the previous registration number on it if it was imported,

If you read the index it should say previous reg no or similar,
if it was English French German or what ever,

What makes you think something is a miss?

All in all it looks to have been around for longer. And the DETHLEFF documents show it having been built four years previously which is the zinger really if you think about it ! But the kilometer is digital and I don't know how easy or difficult it is to hack those ? Engine sounds nice, no rust, so maybe it' s early onset paranoia 😧

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2022  ·  #4
Sometimes when you get a feeling its good to check it out,

In the past I have heard of a motorhome being registered 2 or 3 years after the year of manufacture,
where it usually stands out is when a cab has a newer version, example I seen a motorhome last year that had the x244 Ducato that was manufactured from 2002 to 2006 but this one had a 2010 plate on it, and looked 2010 when compared to the 2008 that was parked beside him,

So it is possible it sat for a few years before being registered,

Liked by: eirebus, lapsed

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Second hand motorhome

· 
Posted: 28.06.2022  ·  #5
My Pilote has a build date early 2008 and first reg March 2009.and the power unit is earlier.
What is printed on J3 and J4 of your log Book, if its French or German you can check details from their system,

Something that should be flagged when importing a motorhome, always keep copies of all documentation and especially the Log book, as this, you don't get back, when you apply for a new Irish logbook.

Another problem around that time was 2011 was the year of the 13.5% so lots of new stuff was ordered for a December 2010 delivery, there wear some delays into the new year and customers refused to take delivery because of the new vat rate. In order to fill new orders for different models, some stock already in the system were put on hold and parts used to fill orders before the year end 2010. also throw in the fact that most are built to order and can take 6 months or more to build. if all parts are available, you could easily have one started in 2009 and not finished until well into 2011

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2022  ·  #6
A friend of mine had an Autotrail, it was registered 2005 but the base vehicle was a 2002 model.

If yours was registered somewhere else before Ireland it should be shown at B (date of first registration) and B2 (year of manufacture) should also be shown, J4 (previous registration number) will help you to figure out where it was previously registered.
All the above should be on the Irish registration certificate.

Liked by: lapsed

lapsed
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.06.2022  ·  #7
Ok, so checked out allowed the details as per log book and unless everything is phony I seem to be in good nick.
Thanks to all contributes.

Liked by: mad max

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.06.2022  ·  #8
My lhd motorhome (American rv) was reg 2016 but made 2015, so, the chassis could even be 2014... I know the history and have spoken the original UK owner who bought and imported it from new. I wouldn't worry too much as long as its condition is as per year and it looks well, drive on and enjoy 😀

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.06.2022  ·  #9
There has definitely been instances in the past of base vehicles being made way before the conversion and then subsequent registration but over the past couple of years that is less likely to be the case as there is now no stock held and a shortage of base vehicles means that the converters are getting them fresh from the factory.

My current van's transit base was made in march 2021 and I collected it from the dealer at the beginning of June 2021, so that was a very quick turn around

Liked by: sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.