some advice needed on buying an old Motorhome

Bowsie 3
Subject:

some advice needed on buying an old Motorhome

· 
Posted: 06.06.2022  ·  #1
Hello,

I am new to the forum and very happy to see this forum exists :-)

I am hoping for some advice and insights :-F

Im considering buying an old Mercedes 207. Its year Is 1987.

My concern is that it has UK plates currently, and am wondering if I will encounter an unexpected issues or expenses when I go to register it here in Ireland? VRT, extra tariffs & VAT :-?
..also will I have difficulty getting Insurance on a motorhome vehicle of this age?

Any other advice or Insights on Issues I should look out for,.. would also be greatly appreciated.

I really cant afford to put a great deal of extra money into it at this point,.. bare cosmetic up-grades... so Im nervous about the age of it and the the UK plates.
I'm hoping as its a Mercedes engine it will have a few more good years left in it.

https://www.adverts.ie/campers…urce=email

Thanks in Advance.
Bowsie

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: some advice needed on buying an old Motorhome

· 
Posted: 06.06.2022  ·  #2
Those pre Sprinter Bremen models were really bombproof without any of the electronics which can plague more modern versions
Don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry though as they are naturally aspirated engines without a turbo.
Before parting with any hard-earned make sure you get the body (caravan) part checked for water ingress / damp damage by a recommended expert.

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2022  ·  #3
VRT will be €200 as it’s over 30 years old, you’ll still have customs duty and VAT though

Have a look at this post for details:
forum/topic.php?p=210300#real210300

Liked by: Ally

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2022  ·  #4
I bought a 1988 hymer in 2012 and drove it to Italy that summer. An older yoke that's good is still good!....breakdown insurance might be an issue if you fancy taking it abroad. Be VERY vigilant about habitation area damp before u decide

Liked by: sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2022  ·  #5
Quote by Hymer544

I bought a 1988 hymer in 2012 and drove it to Italy that summer. An older yoke that's good is still good!....breakdown insurance might be an issue if you fancy taking it abroad. Be VERY vigilant about habitation area damp before u decide

While it may be difficult to get breakdown cover the simplicity if the mechanicals make repair at any decent garage easier and less expensive, compared to more modern ECU and microchip loaded vehicles

Liked by: sprinter

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2022  ·  #6
Quote by baguette

Quote by Hymer544

While it may be difficult to get breakdown cover the simplicity if the mechanicals make repair at any decent garage easier and less expensive, compared to more modern ECU and microchip loaded vehicles

thats true baguette, but getting parts for my Hymer became such a ballache, that i sold it and moved up the years. Even getting parts here at home for the annual test started getting annoying, so i can only imagine trying to get stuff when broken down...

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.