jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Adblue system deletion

· 
Posted: 02.06.2022  ·  #1
Just finished my van conversion (2017 Boxer) and now find myself mired in the damn Adblue problem - dashboard notification telling me the Adblue level is low and needs to be refilled BUT it is full. Had it to Peugeot in Wexford and they couldn't sort the issue or do a reset; only solution is to replace the complete unit for only €1310 - beautiful coming at the end of my conversion. And for those members not familiar with the Adblue problem (like me one month ago) when the warning appears you then have approx 2400 km before the engine shuts down and won't restart!
My mechanic tells me the Adblue system can be deleted and that's the end of the problem. Or is it? - I've read that it is illegal to drive a vehicle with a deleted Adblue system. Also recently read that some drivers in the UK were getting fined for driving vehicles with deleted Adblue systems.
I have a concern regarding the shutting off/deletion of the Adblue system in a campervan. Aside from the fact that it is illegal to drive a vehicle to which this has been done, does it void one's insurance cover? I'd welcome hearing other people's experiences and opinions on the issue.

Liked by: Ally

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Adblue system deletion

· 
Posted: 02.06.2022  ·  #2
Its only illegal if you get caught........

Liked by: Stacks

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.06.2022  ·  #3
That's fine mad max but how one might really get caught is if you have a crash and your Insurance Co discovers you have been driving a modified vehicle which is illegal and you didn't declare it to them - my fear is that in this scenario one's insurance cover is void and then you are in the s**t.
Are there any insurance/legal experts among the mhc membership who could offer an opinion? I just don't want to hand an Insurance Co. an O.G.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.06.2022  ·  #4
why not ring your insurance company and ask them

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.06.2022  ·  #5
I emailed them there this evening and it could take a couple of days before they reply. When they do I'll post the details of their reply - it should be of benefit to some members experiencing the same problem AND any unsuspecting members upgrading to a campervan or motorhome built on Euro 6 vehicle base.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2022  ·  #6
If I remember right the ad blue on the boxers around that time is not the same as it is now, it was a sealed unit which was only able to be sorted by a main dealer. We discovered this when one of our vans at the time drove over something and punctured it, we were buying them as they “didn’t have ad-blue” compared to other vans

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2022  ·  #7
Quote by jfly57

That's fine mad max but how one might really get caught is if you have a crash and your Insurance Co discovers you have been driving a modified vehicle which is illegal and you didn't declare it to them - my fear is that in this scenario one's insurance cover is void and then you are in the s**t.
Are there any insurance/legal experts among the mhc membership who could offer an opinion? I just don't want to hand an Insurance Co. an O.G.
has your insurance company insured your new camper van as a fully converted camper van with a nice generous value or a l g v still

Ron W
Ron W
My Motorhome: Hymer B640 Starline
Base Vehicle: Mercedes Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2022  ·  #8
They can also be checked when going for an MOT/NCT test

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2022  ·  #9
Relay racer - my conversion was certfied fully, vrt paid and tax & insured as a campervan, not as a lgv.

Liked by: relay racer

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2022  ·  #10
Ron W - would you be talking about MOT in NI? I think NCT/CVRT in the Republic is not (yet) checking for Nox emissions - maybe that has changed and if not, I'm sure it will in the future, in compliance with EU laws.

Liked by: Ron W

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2022  ·  #11
Does anyone know if there has been any concerted tackling of the van manufacturers over this issue because they are installing a system that is clearly not fit for purpose and hammering owners with huge replacement bills?
Could a campaign be initiated? A protest gathering outside Peugeot HQ in Dublin?
S**t though my van might shut down on the way up or on the way back.
I wonder how many members are affected?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Adblue system deletion

· 
Posted: 03.06.2022  ·  #12
Have you checked that the cap is securely tight, and sealing the tank because that has been a problem in the past, system wouldn't work because the tank couldn't pressurise?

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2022  ·  #13
Thanks Sprinter, well I've had it with my own mechanic without success and then to Peugeot in Wexford again without success - they could only suggest a complete new unit costing €1310!!
I started this thread out of concern for insurance implications if one deletes the Adblue system. I'm expecting a response from my insurance broker early next week and tbh I'm not overly optimistic that it will be favourable.
I'll post as soon as I have that response.

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Adblue system deletion

· 
Posted: 03.06.2022  ·  #14
Quote by jfly57

Thanks Sprinter, well I've had it with my own mechanic without success and then to Peugeot in Wexford again without success - they could only suggest a complete new unit costing €1310!!
I started this thread out of concern for insurance implications if one deletes the Adblue system. I'm expecting a response from my insurance broker early next week and tbh I'm not overly optimistic that it will be favourable.
I'll post as soon as I have that response.

I got that bit, but did anyone tell you that it's not working, or if it is working, why it will not continue working
If you keep the tank full.

big LIam
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: d55 Dreamer Veronica
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130 bhp
Subject:

ad blue

· 
Posted: 03.06.2022  ·  #15
some time it can be the fault of the diagnostic equipment? they can lead you on a merry dance it sounds like a level sensor in the tank .
what can happen is ad blue spillage , fluid can contaminate the multi plug and give a false reading the sensors work on 5 volts check the reservoir for a sensor in the side of it or the float inside the tank could be stuck especially if the ad blue has been run down low.
some times that fault is locked into your ECU for 30 days and a main dealer has to over ride it because its a euro 6 .
try hitting the tank with a block of wood

Liked by: panda, sprinter

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2022  ·  #16
Thanks big Liam, I'll definitely try a bang on the tank with a lump of wood...and if that fails to bring it to it's senses it'll be getting many wallows of my axe!

Liked by: big LIam

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2022  ·  #17
I had a problem with my car cutting out in traffic queues and at lights and roundabouts while going through neutral. Main dealer diagnose low fuel pressure by error codes. They recommended a new fuel pump plus getting the injectors done, a fine four figure sum.
A local Polish lad diagnosed a faulty sensor telling lies. Sensor replaced and job done for €100 and the problem dissappear for ever.

Liked by: panda, Paul mcg, sprinter

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2022  ·  #18
Thanks baguette, that certainly is interesting. Would that gifted Polish chap be anywhere near the South East?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2022  ·  #19
Quote by jfly57

Thanks baguette, that certainly is interesting. Would that gifted Polish chap be anywhere near the South East?

It was about six or seven years ago. I've heard he is now operating from a premises near Killumney, west of Cork City but he might not even be still there.
There is something about Polish mechanics, they seem to be much better at workarounds and mending than a lot of our homegrown types. Maybe it's a throwback to before the Iron Curtain came down and stuff was really scarce and workarounds and repair was a necessity of life.

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2022  ·  #20
Thanks again. I think any repressed nation is good at workarounds, like the Cubans. There is a big Polish population living in and around New Ross so I might do a bit of investigating.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Adblue system deletion

· 
Posted: 04.06.2022  ·  #21
Quote by jfly57

Thanks again. I think any repressed nation is good at workarounds, like the Cubans. There is a big Polish population living in and around New Ross so I might do a bit of investigating.

There are two guys worhing around Gorey, the live and also work from home in Cranford. Might be worth giving them a call. I'll get you a number for them if you think it may help?.

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2022  ·  #22
Thanks sprinter, I'd appreciate a number for them indeed.

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2022  ·  #23
Quote by jfly57

Thanks sprinter, I'd appreciate a number for them indeed.

Edgar 0851181714.
52.670888,-6.396885
ISLAND MIDDLE,
CRAANFORD,
GOREY,
CO. WEXFORD
Y25FV30

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2022  ·  #24
Thanks very much sprinter for the contact details. I'll contact him in the near future. I'll update on any progress made with this problem.
Thanks again to all who have responded.

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2022  ·  #25
Just had a reply to my query to Dolmen Insurance brokers regarding deletion of the Adblue system from a vehicle. They checked with the underwriters, Axa, and they say the vehicle is not covered because to drive a vehicle with it deleted is against EU legislation on emissions reduction and therefore illegal - it confirms, unfortunately, what was my worst fear. Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news to all those p****d off with this diabolical, not-fit-for-purpose system.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2022  ·  #26
How would they know if you deleted the system ?

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2022  ·  #27
tbh eirbus I don't know, it's not an area in which I'm in any way expert but I reckon since a check on Adblue is now part of the MOT in the UK that it isn't rocket science. My concern is the lenghts that Insurance Co's will go to finding a chink in one's armour and leave one in the s**t. I'm damn sure when an Insurance Co brings in an assessor to review a claim that a check on the Adblue system is not too far from the top of their checklist and if found to be deleted - bingo!
Maybe other people have different opinions on it but I have decided not to run the risk and especially since we plan to do the odd trip the UK (where owners with deleted systems are being fined if caught by the DVSA) and the continent; I'm booking in for a new sealed unit much as I find it a bitter pill to swallow.

Liked by: eirebus

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.