Is a scooter necessary to get around Italy?

Advice for first timers with a motorhome.

Waterford guy
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: McLouis Nevis 872
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Is a scooter necessary to get around Italy?

· 
Posted: 21.05.2022  ·  #1
Is this the right section or should I be in across the water? I'm not sure so sorry if it's the wrong forum.

Myself and my wife are heading to Italy for 5 or 6 weeks with our new motorhome. We are new to the scene, this will be our first trip. I'm wondering will I need to buy a scooter. I don't have a garage big enough so I'd need to buy a rack and have it fitted (circa 2K) and buy a scooter (circa 2K). So the cost is about 4K in total plus the hassle of adding more length and weight to my camper. I don't mind spending the 4K if it will improve how enjoyable my trip is. But I'm wondering if it's actually necessary.

We are 35 and 36. Both very fit and used to cycling. The thing that will determine for me whether I need to bring a scooter is how close I can get to where I want to be in the camper before having to park up. If aires and sostas are very plentiful, then I don't think we will need one. We can just park up for the day and cycle to the place we want to visit once it's within say 10 - 20km. However, if all the campsites are very far away from cities and tourist attractions, then a scooter will be necessary unless I want to pack up the camper and drive that around all the time (I don't by the way).

This has been a very long winded way to go about my question but I hope you get the gist and if any of you have been to Italy I'd really appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Ron W
Ron W
My Motorhome: Hymer B640 Starline
Base Vehicle: Mercedes Sprinter
Subject:

Re: Is a scooter necessary to get around Italy?

· 
Posted: 21.05.2022  ·  #2
Why not think of e-bikes folding ones might suit better. Look for one's that have a larger range

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2022  ·  #3
That's the way I'd be thinking, something like this, starting at about €700, on Amazon.
Simple and easy to fold so you can easily transport the bike and the lightweight frame makes it easy to carry (Folded size: 71 x 40 x 63cm)
Info – Full size: 124 x 54 x 103cm. Max load: 110kg. Weight: 16kg. Endurance mileage: 35 miles. Charge time: 3-4 hours. Power: 250W. Climbing capacity: 15 degrees.?

Liked by: Ron W, TommyS

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2022  ·  #4
Eddie, we have gone down the scooter route now for over 25 years and it suits us. We can potter about or get onto a bigger road and give it the gutty.We tend to centre on a place and use it to explore further afield. Electric bicycles are also an option but my missus is not good on a bicycle. Years ago with the kids we took bicycles. Its really horses for courses

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2022  ·  #5
It depends on what you intend to visit and how.
For example, a scooter can be useful in the Dolomites for some excursions.
But most of the places can be reached by motorhome with continuation perhaps by cable car.
Or it could be useful for visiting a large town like Rome, obviously useless in Venice where even taxis are boats.
However, I, an Italian, would not venture into the chaotic and undisciplined traffic of Naples.
Perhaps surpassed only by that of Delhi.

Except in very large towns, most of the parking areas for campers are within walking distance of historic centers.
And where they aren't (e.g. campsites), there are typically bus stops nearby.
It is valid in Europe and also in Italy.

Personally I would advise against electric bicycles, low range and charging problems, you would be forced to find areas with EHU or use campsites.
Not to mention that, expensive bikes on an external bike rack attract someone's attention ...
And not only in Italy ...

Waterford guy
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2022  ·  #6
I'm not sure an electric scooter will be any good because I don't know how often I'll be at an official campsite and how often I'll just be pulling in somewhere quiet. Do sosta's / aire's generally have electricity?

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2022  ·  #7
Quote by Waterford guy

I'm not sure an electric scooter will be any good because I don't know how often I'll be at an official campsite and how often I'll just be pulling in somewhere quiet. Do sosta's / aire's generally have electricity?

Talking about scooters, I didn't mean electric ones. Just gasoline.

A few italian stopover have electricity.
Quite common in tourists favourite sites.
Seldom in small towns/villages.
If you do a search in campercontact (just search for the name of the town), the information provided include EHU (good accuracy but less than 100%) availability

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2022  ·  #8
I can't add anything more to what mtravel has told you other than to say, I have been to Italy several times and I would be hard pressed to ever consider getting on a Scooter there. And I doubt it's really necessary. Bicycles will probably best serve your needs. Sure, there can be lots of hills and the weather can get hot, but that's why tourists love Italy and you're both fit right? And besides, most places seem to be served well by rail. I don't think you could go too wrong with bicycles.

Liked by: sprinter

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2022  ·  #9
We have just clocked up over 80k in my 3 days in Donegal on our scooter. Definitely wouldnt have done that if on bicycles as there were quite a few hills. I didnt take it out today as I couldn't get the petrol cap off and it was low on fuel, but new cap ordered.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2022  ·  #10
80k!!

Wow! 🤔😁

Liked by: eirebus, PaulH, TommyS

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2022  ·  #11
Quote by Ally

80k!!

Wow! 🤔😁

80,000,Was that miles or Kms 😁

Liked by: TommyS

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2022  ·  #12
Kms had a few pints of the Black stuff

Liked by: Ally, eirebus

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2022  ·  #13
Or it might have been 80k, bit hazzy

Waterford guy
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2022  ·  #14
Tommy, you're some man, I knew Donegal was big but I never realised it was that big.
I think Max and The Rambler have answered my question though, as long as there's aires close-by to most cities / attractions, I'm sure we will be fine with our bikes. We are both (relatively) young and fit and enjoy getting some exercise in. If it were a case that we would be miles away from the attractions then I'd probably go for the scooter but that doesn't seem to be the case for Italy. For some reason the thought of getting the scooter rack is really off-putting, probably wouldn't actually make much difference to me but it just seems like a lot of hassle. Wish I had one of those really big rear garages I could just wheel it into, then it would be a no brainer, but I went for a motorhome with an island bed at the rear, as opposed to the raised up bed. The benefit being I think it makes the camper seem more spacious as it adds another room, the drawback being you get a decent size garage but not a huge one I could park a scooter in.

Liked by: TommyS

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2022  ·  #15
8-) I've a scooter rack for sale if you change your mind

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2022  ·  #16
Scooters can also be rented cheaply in cities like Milan (cityscoot) and you could use public transport into towns and buzz about an rental city bikes of scooters if you like. Check you travel insurance though, as some have scooter clauses eg..it might need additional mention when taking the policy.

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2022  ·  #17
Quote by Hymer544

Scooters can also be rented cheaply in cities like Milan (cityscoot) and you could use public transport into towns and buzz about an rental city bikes of scooters if you like. Check you travel insurance though, as some have scooter clauses eg..it might need additional mention when taking the policy.

The best tip for a Brit (or Irish, it doesn't matter) to drive him crazy is to ride a scooter in a big Italian city.
And it's not just a matter of driving on the right or left.
Everyone is in a hurry to get to their destination and the scooter is considered a way to avoid queues.
Scooter riders are the worst observers of the code.
In some cities, green lights are just a warning:
be careful, someone might cross your street.

Milan might seem a moderately chaotic city, Naples or Catania put also us Italians in trouble.

I told you.

Max

p.s. It is different in small towns but I doubt that you can find scooters to rent there.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Is a scooter necessary to get around Italy

· 
Posted: 25.05.2022  ·  #18
I was in Rome recently,saw some Motorhomes parked in some very odd places,but no one seem to take any notice. they have Electric Scooter hire by the hour,they seemed to be operated with an app and paid for by card/phone /Watch,what ever, most had two up,and when the hour is up they stop,and then some people, just walk away and leave them, on footpaths ,parks,the side of the road. thy are abandoned everywhere, late at night you see, a van picking them up,and dropping them off at busy street corners., or guys going along with two or more crosswise on the one they are riding presumably doing the same
In Dublin most would all end up in the Liffy or the canal's.

Liked by: Ally

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.03.2023  ·  #19
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.