Roulston1008
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Conversion
Base Vehicle: 2016 Citroen Relay
Subject:

Re: Fitting Lithium

· 
Posted: 15.01.2024  ·  #121
If you can make the room and can justify the cost then go for the 200 battery. I would of went for it but I had no room. With a 200 ah lithium battery you are getting 170 useable ah not like a normal leisure battery were you only get 100 useable ah.
I have all my new Renogy stuff installed now and tried it out over the Christmas and I am very happy with the results.

Liked by: Phil Bert, sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2024  ·  #122
An interesting side effect.
As per specifications my new Renogy unit sends charge to the starter battery if the solar is producing and the leisure battery is fully charged.
The controller for the DRL's thinks the alternator (engine) is running when it 'sees' the changing voltage and the DRL's switch on.
If you happen to see my mh parked up with the DRL's on there's no need to feel like you need to tell me 😀🤣

Liked by: Phil Bert

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2024  ·  #123
I am planning to replace two 5 year old Banner Bull 100Ah lead acids with a 200Ah LifePo4. To be honest, only for I'm trying to increase payload I would probably stay with lead acids from Halfords. But dropping 26kg is a lot and is badly needed, even though it comes at a premium cost.

I have an existing 100W solar with MPPT controller which has Lithium settings giving 6A in good sunshine - so all good there.

Existing 16A battery charger does Lead acid, Gel and AGM. I don't want the additional cost of replacing it so plan to use it on Gel setting for the lithium. I understand it will not charge the lithium fully but reckon the solar will do this. We use about 20-25 Ah per day in Summer, maybe 35Ah in Winter, so we should be well good for 5 days off grid in the summer and 4 days in Winter.

Also will have the direct charging from the alternator (not smart) when on the move, as per current set-up.

The existing charger also charges the Fiat battery via the split charge relay - I understand it will not charge fully on gel setting but will not be damaged either.

Anyone see any problems with the proposal, before I hit the buy button ?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2024  ·  #124
I had 2 x 100ah LA batteries and changed to one 100ah lithium which is working well for me , a saving of 36kg

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2024  ·  #125
I did consider going for one 100Ah lithium but as I see it, if I discharge down to say 15Ah ( don't want to go to hard zero as there is no emergency power as you have in lead acid below 50% DoD) and as I may not always start with a full battery due to charging on gel setting and relatively slow charging from the alternator while on the move, I reckon I may only start with a battery 90% full.

This would give only 75 Ah useable power which is a little bit tight for us, especially in winter weather when we wouldn't even have 75Ah.
I would love to buy a 120Ah lithium with integral bluetooth, but these do not seem to be a common size.

joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2024  ·  #126
Quote by voyager

I am planning to replace two 5 year old Banner Bull 100Ah lead acids with a 200Ah LifePo4. To be honest, only for I'm trying to increase payload I would probably stay with lead acids from Halfords. But dropping 26kg is a lot and is badly needed, even though it comes at a premium cost.

I have an existing 100W solar with MPPT controller which has Lithium settings giving 6A in good sunshine - so all good there.

Existing 16A battery charger does Lead acid, Gel and AGM. I don't want the additional cost of replacing it so plan to use it on Gel setting for the lithium. I understand it will not charge the lithium fully but reckon the solar will do this. We use about 20-25 Ah per day in Summer, maybe 35Ah in Winter, so we should be well good for 5 days off grid in the summer and 4 days in Winter.

Also will have the direct charging from the alternator (not smart) when on the move, as per current set-up.

The existing charger also charges the Fiat battery via the split charge relay - I understand it will not charge fully on gel setting but will not be damaged either.

Thats very interesting, I've a similar setup with the charger and the solar panel. My charger also has a Gel setting. I was vering away from LifePo4 because I thought I'd have to change out the charger as well

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2024  ·  #127
Quote by voyager

I would love to buy a 120Ah lithium with integral bluetooth, but these do not seem to be a common size.

I think Kepworth do a 120ah with Bluetooth

Liked by: voyager

Grumpy
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: murvi pimento
Base Vehicle: transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2024  ·  #128
KS Energy also do 120ah lithuims with bluetooth

Phil Bert
Craic'er
My Motorhome: A big white box
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2024  ·  #129
Quote by joberg

Quote by voyager

Thats very interesting, I've a similar setup with the charger and the solar panel. My charger also has a Gel setting. I was vering away from LifePo4 because I thought I'd have to change out the charger as well

With the exception of the split charge relay this is the set up I have being using to good effect , I have retained the EBL to manage the mains and alternator charging my solar controller is connected directly to the battery , as for your concern about 100ah not being enough it is worth noting that the lithium will run right down to 10v @aprox 95ah that's a lot of power and will charge very quickly if you are caught short running the engine a sort time or a quick run around the block will give you plenty of power to see you trough the night we seldom go on EHU these days. Of corse more is better but would you need it ? Lithium is completely different chemistry to lead acid and doesn't need the consent checking you get use to with LA . I do check the state of charge form time to time but there is no need, a couple of hours driving will give most people all the power they need .... just fit it and forget !

Liked by: eirebus

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2024  ·  #130
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I need to have a rethink regarding the size before committing. In fairness, just one 100Ah lithium saves another 10kg in weight and this is important to me as we are currently running on the max 1850kg on the front axle.

I am looking at SOK. They have heating and Bluetooth at a middle of the road price and they seem to get good reviews in Europe and USA.
Some of the cheaper brands either seem to have few or mixed reviews.

Can someone explain how the current from the alternator to the battery is regulated. I don’t want to burn out the alternator on the 2019 Moho or melt the cables between the alternator and battery with the new lithium battery

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2024  ·  #131
Quote by voyager

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I need to have a rethink regarding the size before committing. In fairness, just one 100Ah lithium saves another 10kg in weight and this is important to me as we are currently running on the max 1850kg on the front axle.

I am looking at SOK. They have heating and Bluetooth at a middle of the road price and they seem to get good reviews in Europe and USA.
Some of the cheaper brands either seem to have few or mixed reviews.

Can someone explain how the current from the alternator to the battery is regulated. I don’t want to burn out the alternator on the 2019 Moho or melt the cables between the alternator and battery with the new lithium battery

The alternator has a built in regulator,which controls it's output, and if you haven't burnt it out with the existing system, the Lithium won't , it will only charge it,to the same level as a lead acid.
Just finished fitting a pair of these yesterday, https://eu.renogy.com/12v-100a…e-battery/. into the second van in our family, they did a good deal when two were bought together,throwing in the Bluetooth monitoring system, also fitted was a new Victron Charger, we had already fitted with a 310 watt solar system.
Everything fitted into the old space with the addition of a piano hinge, some wiring, a couple of buss-bars and a shunt to do the monitoring, 10.30 last night, both were showing full charge.
Why you might ask?. The old original OEM charger, went off it's meds and fried two newish 95 ah banner bulls. while on EHU at the house. As they spent a lot of time off grid, it was an ideal time to go for the Lithium upgrade.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2024  ·  #132
Charging lithium verses lead acid.

Basically lead acid batteries need to be force fed with the charger, be it an alternator our mains charger, pushing in the charge against the batteries internal resistance. The maximum rate of charge is not recommended to exceed 0.3C which is a charge rate of .3 of the batteries rated ah per hour. Put simply a 100ah battery should not be exposed to a charge rate of more than 30ah.

Lithium is totally different. A LiFePO4. As we know they can recharge themselves much faster than lead acid and can and will accept a charge rate of 1.0C which means when being charged a 100ah lifepo4 will suck in a charge of up to 100ah if it's available.
How here's the rub. If the charge source is, for example, a 130ah vehicle alternator, and there is no controller in the circuit to limit the flow of charge between the alternator and the battery there is the potential fora 100ah lifepo4 battery to pull 100ah through the circuit with devastating results for the alternator and associated wiring.
Personally, I would not be happy to have Lithium batteries without a suitably rated B2B charger standing between them and the alternator/engine battery.
The split charger arrangement used for lead acid leisure battery charging provides no charge controlling functionality to protect the alternator and associated wiring from excessive current draw

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2024  ·  #133
Quote by baguette

Charging lithium verses lead acid.
Personally, I would not be happy to have Lithium batteries without a suitably rated B2B charger standing between them and the alternator/engine battery.
The split charger arrangement used for lead acid leisure battery charging provides no charge controlling functionality to protect the alternator and associated wiring from excessive current draw

This is valuable insight and recommendation and for me, a hornets nest has been opened.
Having done some more research, it seems the general consensus from other motorhome forums is that a B2B is essential to deal with the concerns outlined by Baguette above. SOK have also just said I need a B2B. A Votronic 30A B2B with low temperature charging cut off is approx €200. On its own, this is a manageable additional cost.

However, in doing the above fact finding, I discovered my CBE - 516 3 charger has a desulphation phase which outputs 15.2V to the battery as the first charging phase. This is likely going to trigger the 14.6V max voltage cut off on the SOK BMS.
So, its looking like I will need to replace my mains charger also. If I go with a CBE 522-LT 22A (LifePo4) charger, it should be pretty much plug and play. This will cost approx €280. Right now I'm not sure if this will also provide 2A charging to the starter battery as my existing one does. If it does, it will be using a lithium charging profile, which may not be suitable for the starter lead acid.

So, I may additionally have to install a Van Bitz battery master to independently keep the starter battery charged from the leisure battery when motorhome is parked up. Approx cost €90.

So I could be looking at a total additional cost of €570, on top of the battery cost. On the positive side, with all of the optimised lithium charging kit described above, I reckon we could manage with one 100Ah lifePo4 which is €400 delivered from SOK

So basically I could be looking at €1000 to get a lithium battery with same capacity and longer life (compared to existing) and weight saving of 36kg.

Alternatively, I could get two 100Ah Halfords HLB 700 lead acids for €260 (when AXA 10% discount included) which are simply drop in and put the remaining € 740 towards increasing payload by fitting semi rear and possibly heavier springs on Front, with the aim to go from 3700kg MAM to 3850 kg or 150kg payload increase

Hmmmmm !!

Liked by: Phil Bert, sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2024  ·  #134
The Renogy unit I fitted covers all three requirements, B2B, MPPT contoler and charge to the starter battery.
To kill the possibility of a high current being taken by the lithium battery via the original equipment split charge circuit I have disabled that function.
I no longer bother to connect the ehu when at home to keep the engine battery charged via the OE trandformer/charger as the solar does that via the Renogy unit.

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2024  ·  #135
Quote by baguette

The Renogy unit I fitted covers all three requirements, B2B, MPPT contoler and charge to the starter battery.

Which Renogy unit did you fit ?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2024  ·  #136
Quote by voyager

Quote by baguette

Which Renogy unit did you fit ?

I went for This one

Why is the phone sideways 🤔

Liked by: voyager

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2024  ·  #137
Just to update regarding my decision.

In the end I decided to stay with Halfords HLB-700 lead acid batteries to replace the knackered original 100Ah Banner Bulls. I was not happy to proceed with the LifePo4 as it involved considerable modifications to the existing CBE 12V distribution system & wiring.
So, in addition to the cost of all the add-ons, making wiring changes would have been quite difficult as all the existing 230/12V charger, 230/12V control & distribution system, and solar MPPT are installed in an extremely confined space within the double floor of the Rapido, accessible via a small external locker door.

In industry, I would always have specified that new electrical panels would have 25% free space to cater for future panel mods. Alas, Rapido seem to have completed the electrical installation and then installed the external wall to the motorhome after, thereby making further alterations quite a challenge.

Again, thanks to all who contributed information and suggestions along the way.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2024  ·  #138
Quote by voyager

Just to update regarding my decision.

In the end I decided to stay with Halfords HLB-700 lead acid batteries

They're good batteries and at reasonable price ,

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2024  ·  #139
I have resisted the lithium route, I happy with the normal batteries, 200w solar panel, mmpt, 2x 110, does what it says on the tin. Maybe some day

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2024  ·  #140
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.