Sojim
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Eura Mobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Templars Inn Fethard-on-Sea

· 
Posted: 12.03.2022  ·  #2
A great start to season 5 of "Charlie & Me". Templars Inn looks a great place and certainly worthy of support. Hopefully more bars, inns & pubs will start to realise what an advantage it is to their business to welcome the Motor home community.
Well done to Paul & all at Templars Inn. Look forward to more reviews from 'Charlie & Me'

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2022  ·  #3

Liked by: mvnube

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2022  ·  #4
If you leave a tidy sum at the bar and/or the restaurant do you still have to pay for the parking.
Just asking.

Liked by: Ally, PDK, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Templars Inn Fethard-on-Sea

· 
Posted: 30.03.2022  ·  #5
Quote by baguette

If you leave a tidy sum at the bar and/or the restaurant do you still have to pay for the parking.
Just asking.

I think it's treated as completely separate, if you have food, you don't get a discount of drink, and vise /versa.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2022  ·  #6
Quote by sprinter

Quote by baguette

Just asking.

I think it's treated as completely separate, if you have food, you don't get a discount of drink, and vise /versa.

That, I understand. But, if I went in my car I wouldn't expect to be charged for the parking.
I accept having to pay for overnight parking in a motorhome park. For example the Westlodge Hotel charges €10 plus gives a discount for its leisure centre.
IMHO €20 is a bit much if also buying drink and/or meals.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2022  ·  #7
Is it possible that they had to spend money to create the facilities for motorhomes to overnight?
If that were the case then you could not blame them for such a charge, but if all facilities were already on site then some kind of a discount would surely encourage more use .

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2022  ·  #8
Quote by baguette

Quote by sprinter

Quote by baguette

Just asking.

That, I understand. But, if I went in my car I wouldn't expect to be charged for the parking.
I accept having to pay for overnight parking in a motorhome park. For example the Westlodge Hotel charges €10 plus gives a discount for its leisure centre.
IMHO €20 is a bit much if also buying drink and/or meals.

I'm inclined to agree with you,its a tad on the high side, but EHU is included, so can't be relay compared with Westlodge,more like the Bantry marina Air'e, when the pub is not open you can park for free, in such case I would not think, EHU will be on.
I would be more concerned with the amount of vans, and the separation, with at least half on the grass behind other vans on the hard stand, there is supposed to be room for a van to drive between the ones on the hard, to get access to the grass, if you get bogged down, how can you be towed out, when I last passed, there were 4 vans parked side by side, if no one stopped that, who is going to stop cars parking between the motorhomes,
It has the potential to be a good facility, I would only park on a hard stand,and if it filled up, I would leave.
but I will, never want, or have to.

Liked by: eirebus

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2022  ·  #9
The EHU included pricing seems to be a way of sort of justifying price hikes.
I've heard of another establishment which has gone from €12 p/n with EHU as an additional option to €20 EHU included, irrespective of whether or not it's wanted.
Price gouging seems to be creeping in, the provision of parking in an existing facility has no energy inputs and let's face it current inflation is being driven by increased energy costs.
If the proprietor wants to cover his/her cost of living increases then any price increase should be linked to the cost of living inflation index.
Increased energy costs should only be passed on via the EHU charge to those who want the service.
Hopefully when the current supply deficits and inflationary pressures settle down those who are taking advantage of us now will be remembered for it in the future.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2022  ·  #10
Quote by baguette

The EHU included pricing seems to be a way of sort of justifying price hikes.
I've heard of another establishment which has gone from €12 p/n with EHU as an additional option to €20 EHU included, irrespective of whether or not it's wanted.
Price gouging seems to be creeping in, the provision of parking in an existing facility has no energy inputs and let's face it current inflation is being driven by increased energy costs.
If the proprietor wants to cover his/her cost of living increases then any price increase should be linked to the cost of living inflation index.
Increased energy costs should only be passed on via the EHU charge to those who want the service.
Hopefully when the current supply deficits and inflationary pressures settle down those who are taking advantage of us now will be remembered for it in the future.

€15 with the option of EHU, @€5 would be a preferred situation, but that would require policing.
The carpark was extended, with the intension of opening up an Air, last March but then was closed by lock down, all the ehu stations, have only been Installed, before Paddy's day this year,so we all know, the answer will be, they have to recoup some of there costs.
The manager is just that, the owner is the one investing his money.
There was a suggestion of €100 per night, parking, ehu, dinner and a drink.
(a wiser head prevailed).

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2022  ·  #11
I agree with Martin’s statement about ehu provision being hard to Police. On some sites in Spain they can remotely turn on and off individually and others that unlock the cabinet to plug you in and out. Both can be a nuisance and time consuming for both parties.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2022  ·  #12
Policing the EHU can be a problem as seen in Sneem, where they had to charge for it due to theft of the electric, I've also had to wait 3/4 of an hour for the box to be opened so you can leave on site's in France 🤬

Liked by: sprinter

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2022  ·  #13
I think that €10 per night if you eat in the pub
€15 if you don’t eat but get ehu
€20 euro if you just park up
That would mean people would use eather the restaurant or ehu
Does that make sense 🤔

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2022  ·  #14
When campaigning for 'Aires' we talk about motorhomes being fully autonomous vehicles which do not require the infrastructure of a caravan and camping park. We say all that is required is a facility to empty the grey and black water and refill the fresh water.
EHU's, toilets etc are nice to have optional extras and that's what they should remain. Including such facilities in the basic tariff is going down the slippery path to pricing motorhome parking on a par with caravan and camping parks.
If people abuse or try to steal electricity by not paying for an EHU and the proprietor is unable to police the situation the facility should be removed altogether, as said, it's a nice to have but not an essential provision.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2022  ·  #15
This thread is interesting on a few levels to me. I have read many times there needs to be more overnight parking provided for MHs, I have read that MH owners don’t mind paying for service provision. But what is a reasonable price? There is a well established MH parking spot not far from this Inn. The established one has an excellent reputation and current charges are €15 per van per night or €20 with Ehu.

If this was a standalone venue without the pub and I don’t think many would quibble about the price. But is the premises double dipping?

Last time I went to Portumna (a year ago) my van was the only one not on hook up so most seem to want ehu even at an extra charge.

There’s no doubt the people behind this Aire have invested significantly and being in a nice location next to a pub with food is enough for many.

Personally I wish them success and hope more follow.

I recently paid €20 at a B&B with motorhome parking with services and electricity and for what it provided I was happy to pay it.

Liked by: Bobo24, ntg, sprinter

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2022  ·  #16
I have no problem paying €20 (about £17) to park. The fact that there is a bar is a bonus. There are places charging that and you have to walk to and from the bar or restaurant. Its handy just being able to stagger back a few yards to the van.

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2022  ·  #17
In my eyes this is a better option than a full on campsite, no tuggers erecting awnings no kids cutting you up on their bikes and everything else that is thrown at you on a campsite oh and a licensed restaurant to boot with sea views. What’s not to like

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2022  ·  #18
The way I see this is that those that feel charges are too high then stay away.
What business will spend money to create facilities free or at a severely reduced rate so as to keep some motorhomers happy ?
What about the things people do not see when they pull up in their motorhome? Insurance,rates and maintenance to name a few.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2022  ·  #19
Quote by ntg

The way I see this is that those that feel charges are too high then stay away.
What business will spend money to create facilities free or at a severely reduced rate so as to keep some motorhomers happy ?
What about the things people do not see when they pull up in their motorhome? Insurance,rates and maintenance to name a few.

+1

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2022  ·  #20
I think €20 Including EHU is not bad value, the majority of people are more comfortable with it, and it's a lot easier on management, in a pub /restaurant situation, brilliant,
Personally I have put a lot of effort into the van, to be independent of EHU, I would rather have a choice, but if its part of the deal I'll plug in, but, I don't like overcrowding.
I hope there is a pub in every village/town on the Island, that's looks at this and thinks 🤔 I can do that. And every farmer looks at the other sites and thinks the same. And to hell with the Poli-tic's,s

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2022  ·  #21
Absolutely agree Martin, and the more that open up will in its own right create competition.
We have to be prepared to pay for someone else's outlay and those that do not wish to pay these fees are free to find their own parking areas.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2022  ·  #22
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Last time I went to Portumna (a year ago) my van was the only one not on hook up so most seem to want ehu even at an extra charge.

That doesn't surprise me, beside the fact that you would use your M/H more than most, for prolonged periods ,you know how long you can use it without services, most people have no idea, and are not prepared to even find out, how many people have run a gas bottle empty,just to see how long it will last.,or know,how many days do you get out of a fresh water fill, or how often does the grey tank or cassette need to be dumped,

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2022  ·  #23
I have watched a motorhomer come out of his motorhome with a basin full of dish water to empty down a drain, I know of two others who would leave their motorhome with their toothbrushes around 9pm to go to the nearest toilet block.
Everyone to their own,but I believe in using the on board facilities.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2022  ·  #24
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

I find the same in Portumna but usually 2 unite (€1.30) will charge your batteries and also run the fridge for nearly 24 hours so hard to turn it down,

Where as €5 charge will turn most off,

Each to their own

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2022  ·  #25
Having been heavily involved in the campaign to brimg continental style Aires to Ireland for the last 15 years support for the current shift to quasi campsites is disappointing.
Motorhomes are fully self sufficient autonomous vehicles designed to be used independently of campsite infrastructure.
With the current rush to the €20 parking space how long will we have the likes of Frank's Field, Portumna, Joe Malone's, Westlodge Hotel etc etc available to us for €10 or €12 p/n.
If I want the facilities of a campsite I'm more than willing to pay for them. However, if I just want somewhere to park for a nigh or two, then something between free and €12 p/n should be the norm, as it is in Europe.
As regards bars and restaurants providing parking, I think The Camp Street Cafe in Oughterard sets a good example, parking is free if dine in the restaurant and it's a tenner if you don't.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2022  ·  #26
I think the big difference in France, Portugal and Spain is the Aires/ motorhome stopovers that are free or very cheap are not provided for individual profit. Often down to the town/village/municipality etc. And yes there are some more commercially run Aires (like your Carlsberg one in mazarron) but even the commercial ones understand that to compete with the more established campsites they have to be lower priced.
In Ireland the new breed of motorhome stopovers are intended to make a profit for the individual/company providing the facility; Frank’s field, Tom Malones field, walshes Field, bannow bay, Norman view etc. And all of them in my opinion are providing a good option at a fair price. If pubs/hotels/restaurants want to attract the growing motorhome sector and they are prepared to invest then fair play to them but if what they provide doesn’t match up with their charges then they will have to re assess.
But it is good to see some more options available.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2022  ·  #27
Quote by ntg

I have watched a motorhomer come out of his motorhome with a basin full of dish water to empty down a drain, I know of two others who would leave

If it's who I think it is (used to be on here), they would also shower twice a day.

Think a hotel would be better suited 😁

Liked by: ntg, sprinter

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2022  ·  #28
Straight to the TL;DR...

People will vote with their feet. €20 is the price, if enough people are prepared to pay it, it will become the benchmark for south Wexford until someone else tries to compete on price or facilities.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2022  ·  #29
No Campers on site, when I called by this afternoon, the black dump has been removed and area fenced off, the pitch marker post are mostly still in place.
I spoke to Jimmy Cullen, the new / old manager, ( some may remember him from the time he owned it, about 15/20 years ago) he was unsure if the same contact number was operational, hoped to have things sorted shortly, planning was mentioned,
So as it is sometimes said.
Watch this space.
A handful of campers at the Lighthouse,

Liked by: ROBANDSUE

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2022  ·  #30
They were advertising for campers last night 🤔

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2022  ·  #31

A tandem axle van parked under the lighthouse 🤬

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2022  ·  #32
Quote by eirebus

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡😈😈😤😤☠☠

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2022  ·  #33
I'll check in the morning if that was successful. Other things to do now 😊

Liked by: ROBANDSUE

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2022  ·  #34
Quote by sprinter

Quote by eirebus

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡😈😈😤😤☠☠

Not me, I am here! 😜😂

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter, TommyS

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2022  ·  #35
Not me either

Liked by: ntg, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.04.2022  ·  #36
Still no Campers on site, new set of carpark lights poles , does no one, appreciate the Dark anymore? I hope someone knows where the off, switch is.

Liked by: eirebus, PaulH

PDK
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner A647
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.04.2022  ·  #37
Over in bannow bay farm, rain pouring down, nice quiet site, just thought we'd try it as only able to go for a night and not a huge spin for us, might get to templars next time.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.05.2022  ·  #38
Quote by PDK

Over in bannow bay farm, rain pouring down, nice quiet site, just thought we'd try it as only able to go for a night and not a huge spin for us, might get to templars next time.

Think Norman View instead :ok_hand:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.05.2022  ·  #39

PDK
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner A647
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.05.2022  ·  #40
Quote by sprinter

Quote by PDK

Think Norman View instead :ok_hand:

We love joes and have been alot just thought we'd try this place for a change, back home now, found it very relaxing, one of the campers was playing music up In the barn room last night, could see joes and baginbaun head so all good, he looked pretty full too.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, Ron W, sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.