Importing a converted van from the UK to Ireland

Pirahna
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #1
I like my van and don't want to sell it. I haven't yet got around to changing the UK registration document for my van, so as far that goes it's a 4.1t panel van. If I were to import it into Ireland would they look at the resale value of the panel van or would the conversion be taken into account?

The reason for asking is that we might be looking at a move to Spain and to drive in Spain as a resident you need a Spanish license. If I move with my UK driving license then I'll have to take a Spanish driving test, both car and truck to drive my van. If I change to an Irish license I can then swap my Irish EU license for a Spanish one.

petereire
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: autoquest 270
Base Vehicle: Talbot express
Subject:

Re: Importing a converted van from the UK to Ireland

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #2
is it in the log book as a camper or as a commercial?

Pirahna
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #3
Quote by petereire

It's a commercial. 4.1t panel van.

petereire
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: autoquest 270
Base Vehicle: Talbot express
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #4
To my thinking,and, i am open to correction,a panal van is a panal van and they import it as such,i think you would only have to pay the vrt and vat if you changed it in the logbook at a later date.

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #5
Quote by petereire

To my thinking,and, i am open to correction,a panal van is a panal van and they import it as such,i think you would only have to pay the vrt and vat if you changed it in the logbook at a later date.

The problem is, that its still going to have to be inspected and when they see it's converted that is the way they will go,you will have to get the CVRT done and return to Ireland every year to get it renewed,

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #6
Would you be required to pay some kind of VRT in Spain that is anything like here? If not, I’d be brushing up on the Spanish rules of the road.

Liked by: Pirahna

Pirahna
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #7
Quote by The Rambler

Would you be required to pay some kind of VRT in Spain that is anything like here? If not, I’d be brushing up on the Spanish rules of the road.

Import duties seem pretty much the same across the EU. I don't want to sell the van, I've only just got it. I'm just trying to work out a plan to move from the UK to the EU with my mixed documents, Irish passport and UK license.

It would be much easier if Ireland would float off into the Atlantic and head south for a thousand miles. We could all take up olive and grape farming and live happily ever after.

Liked by: petereire, sprinter

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #8
If you're moving residence from UK to Ireland there is no import duty on your vehicle provided it has been in your possession for six months or possibly a year. Worth checking out.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2022  ·  #9
How fixed is the conversion kit, is it possible to remove enough to bring it in as a panel van, even with inspection?

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2022  ·  #10
Quote by Flipperdipper

If you're moving residence from UK to Ireland there is no import duty on your vehicle provided it has been in your possession for six months or possibly a year. Worth checking out.

Transfer of residence had the following rules pre brexit. If you owned a vehicle in the uk for 6 or more months and could prove this and that you were in the uk with the vehicle moving to Ireland if the vehicle had 6000 km or more on the clock you could be exempt vrt. But you had to apply for the exemption within 30 days of arriving in Ireland, ferry tickets would be required and if you got the vrt exemption you had to keep the vehicle for over 12 months in Ireland before you could sell it or you’d be liable to the vrt.
However since brexit you would almost certainly be required to pay 23% vat and I’m not sure if the tor exemption applies now that the uk is not in the eu it would be the set of rules as someone moving from USA, Japan or Australia.

As for converting a uk licence to Irish. I did this pre brexit and was very careful to follow the requirements to keep the C1 category, this required a medical sign off in addition to the standard paperwork.

Not sure how easy it is to do post brexit.

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2022  ·  #11
Quote by Pirahna

Quote by petereire

It's a commercial. 4.1t panel van.

Hey piranha, if you’re in the log book as a panel van, are you only insured as a panel van

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2022  ·  #12
Living off olive farming! Your having a laugh.

You will have to jump through a lot of expensive hoops if you are going to import to Spain, the vehicle will need a coc then mayriculated, presented for inspection then pay import duties (vrt) no matter if you have paid them in Ireland, have all lights etc changed for lhd and the list goes on. Even then there will be no guarantee that you will get it in Spanish plates

Pirahna
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2022  ·  #13
Quote by <BM>

How fixed is the conversion kit, is it possible to remove enough to bring it in as a panel van, even with inspection?

No chance at all.

Quote by relay racer

Hey piranha, if you’re in the log book as a panel van, are you only insured as a panel van

Nope, fully insured as a camper conversion.

Liked by: relay racer

Pirahna
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2022  ·  #14
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Quote by Flipperdipper

Transfer of residence had the following rules pre brexit. If you owned a vehicle in the uk for 6 or more months and could prove this and that you were in the uk with the vehicle moving to Ireland if the vehicle had 6000 km or more on the clock you could be exempt vrt. But you had to apply for the exemption within 30 days of arriving in Ireland, ferry tickets would be required and if you got the vrt exemption you had to keep the vehicle for over 12 months in Ireland before you could sell it or you’d be liable to the vrt.
However since brexit you would almost certainly be required to pay 23% vat and I’m not sure if the tor exemption applies now that the uk is not in the eu it would be the set of rules as someone moving from USA, Japan or Australia.

As for converting a uk licence to Irish. I did this pre brexit and was very careful to follow the requirements to keep the C1 category, this required a medical sign off in addition to the standard paperwork.

Not sure how easy it is to do post brexit.

Thanks both. I'd not heard of "transfer of residence" but it looks like it might work. Private cars, caravans etc are still covered.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/impo…index.aspx

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.