Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Suggestions please.

· 
Posted: 11.02.2022  ·  #1
I'm heading off to Spain March 17th via Cherbourg and need a few ideas. I'm thinking of crossing into Spain around Irun or maybe the Somport tunnel, weather permitting. Any suggestions as to route, avoiding motorways and tolls ? I might visit Nants to see the elephant and other stuff and I'd definitely like to revisit Oradour-sur-Glane but again all depending on the weather. If we do get to Nants where to stay, the campsite or the Aires outside ? We're totally flexible on directions and where to visit. I have to be at Girona airport to drop off my buddy for a flight home on 1st of April so anywhere between Cherbourg and Girona will be an adventure. We may even do a couple of long drives and head straight to Spain, we don't care, the wives are at home and we're on an adventure.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Suggestions please.

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #2
Nantes and the elephant well worth a visit, check if it's open this time of year, Aire or campsite good, depends which you want and tram into centre of Nantes just outside gate, you can get a 24 hr ticket and travel all around the city , just validate it when you get on first tram ,Oradour well worth a visit and a good Aire in town
And Bon Voyage
Weather seems to be good this year, not too wet or cold

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #3
Girona is at the opposite end to Irun and Somport can br closed due to snow. France would have more options than Spain for aires.

When we go from Cherbourg to Spain we just go where the spirit takes us, but if you head towards Bordeaux you can decide which way to cross over

Joe_Biden
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #4
If taking the road from Bordeaux to Irun, take the motorway. The N roads are a disaster with 10 million roundabouts, loads of small towns etc. Last year that stretch cost about 26 to 28 euro (I can't remember the exact amount). I think it's well worth it. Just bring change for the toll booths.

My route down is one overnight in Marans and the next night in Irun.

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #5
Mont Saint Michel, all of Brittany (and you have a lot to see), Nantes, La Rochelle, Ile de Ré, Ile d'Oleron, Bordeaux, Agen, Montauban, Toulouse, Carcassonne, Narbonne, La Jonquera (France-Espana border).

On the A9 from Narbonne to the Spanish border, avoid sleeping in the motorway services, especially in the one called Village Catalan. Thieves !!!
In case just leave the motorway and find an aire.
Or look for a gendarmerie (signposted at the exits) to spend the night nearby.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #6
Think from Bordeaux I’d head towards Toulouse/ Carcassonne, the latter is a nice city to visit…. and south towards the med, ideal route for your visit to Girona airport.
The area around Narbonne /Perpignan is nice as is the bay of Roses over the Spanish border.
Trip home can be done via the Millau via duct/bridge and up via Clermont-Ferrand and then north to Cherbourg. But it can be ‘wintery’ with snow on the higher ground….. but a nice route non the less.

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Suggestions please.

· 
Posted: 12.02.2022  ·  #7
Quote by JJF

Think from Bordeaux I’d head towards Toulouse/ Carcassonne, the latter is a nice city to visit…. and south towards the med, ideal route for your visit to Girona airport.
The area around Narbonne /Perpignan is nice as is the bay of Roses over the Spanish border.
Trip home can be done via the Millau via duct/bridge and up via Clermont-Ferrand and then north to Cherbourg. But it can be ‘wintery’ with snow on the higher ground….. but a nice route non the less.

I am looking at something similar,to offerLiam.
Question Liam? have you any interest in Salvador Dalie. there are 3 sites in the area of Spain around Girona that I like to Pay a visit too.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2022  ·  #8
Thanks for the tips folks, keep 'em coming. I know there's a lot to see in France but it just doesn't hold the same appeal for me as Spain. The main reason I stay away from motorways is I find them boring, great for a fast trip from A to B but otherwise no interest in them. Small roads with a hundred villages and roundabouts great for variety. If we get stuck behind a slow moving tractor for half an hour or so no problem, more time to look around. Sorry Sprinter, no interest in Dalie, or any of the rest of them. I did go to see some of the Gaudi places in Barcelona but too many tourists and too many queues so I ended up going down to the port area for a look around. We may end up heading straight for the Med and crossing into Spain on that side. Who knows ? Who cares ? At the moment the best plan is no plan. :-)

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2022  ·  #9
https://about-france.com/tourism/med-avoiding-tolls.htm

this might give you an idea of route through france with minimum tolls, including the long A75 autoroute stretch that is free (apart from millau viaduc). Ive driven all of it a few times, both the option to spain on atlantic coast and the mediteranean...litterally too many places to suggest...aires all the way

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.