ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Winterising your camper.

· 
Posted: 24.10.2021  ·  #1
What actions do you take to ensure the safety of your camper over the winter months?
For ourselves as those who use it every chance we get we put an oil filled radiator in the middle of the floor and keep it turned down on the thermostat.
Open all cupboards and doors to let air circulate .

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Winterising your camper.

· 
Posted: 24.10.2021  ·  #2
I've usually used an electric heater in the past. Recently I got One Of These at Lidl for €50, it's only 70 watts much less than a heater.
I'm thinking that as damp is the real enemy not cold I'll try the dehumidifier for change and it'll be a lot cheaper to run that the heater.
🤔🤔

Liked by: ntg, tony glenn

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.10.2021  ·  #3
Even when we are not out I make sure to take it for a spin every 2 to 3 weeks. I also keep on an oil filled rad stat controlled on a timer. Try and keep the fuel tank full to avoid any moisture building up in the system. Basically forgetting about the van for a few months is the worst thing you could do in my opinion.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.10.2021  ·  #4
I have a 300w greenhouse heater in the double floor and leave the hatches open. Drain down the water if really cold.

Liked by: ntg, sprinter, Stacks, +deleted user

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.10.2021  ·  #5
We also use the hanging dehumidifier bags in the cupboards at all times.

Liked by: Stacks

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.10.2021  ·  #6
I take ours out for a thirty minute run every two/three weeks. Open vents every dry sunny day. Keep a big tray of course salt on the worktop and that absorbs a fair bit of moisture (dry it out in the microwave regularly)
Keep all internal storage doors open.
Alternatively, move to Southern Spain. 🌞😎👍

Liked by: ntg, sprinter, Stacks

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.10.2021  ·  #7
Quote by tony glenn

Alternatively, move to Southern Spain. 🌞😎👍

Best solution I've ever heard 😃

Liked by: ntg

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.10.2021  ·  #8
Muchas gracias!

Liked by: ntg

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.10.2021  ·  #9
We bought a an oil filled heater, keeping it on low, it worked fine until we discovered southern Spain for winter. So we don't use the heater any more.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.10.2021  ·  #10
Quote by Helgahobby

We bought a an oil filled heater, keeping it on low, it worked fine until we discovered southern Spain for winter. So we don't use the heater any more.

Ditto

Liked by: Helgahobby

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.10.2021  ·  #11
As above, but empty all cupboards, drain down the tanks, bring all moveable upolstery and bedding in to the house. After opening windows open on good days , I put the dehumidifier on for a few hours.

Liked by: Stacks, TommyS

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #12
There is something to consider if leaving your Camper plugged in over winter. Quite a few older vans, will have a simple charger that can be switched on and off. If this is the type you have do not leave it switched on.
Unless it has a battery monitoring system built-in. So when fully charged it switches to trickle or float charge, otherwise it will overcharge, which can fry them causing overheating and serious damage and melt down resulting in possible fire.

Liked by: baguette, ColinM, ntg, TommyS

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #13
I wonder if anyone has tried dropping one of these in to their water tanks ?
link

It's a submersible aquarium heater. Would be good to switch on when it's about to freeze. I can't run power to my van when it's parked up so I cant. Although with enough solar power it would be feasible.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #14
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Winterising your camper.

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #15
Quote by Flipperdipper

Dehumidifier in LIDL on thursday 28th.
https://www.lidl.ie/p/winter-w…ier/p17177

Off topic.
Aldi have Tower brand, window vac for €24.99 today

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Winterising your camper.

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #16
Quote by The Rambler

link

It's a submersible aquarium heater. Would be good to switch on when it's about to freeze. I can't run power to my van when it's parked up so I cant. Although with enough solar power it would be feasible.

By the time you orginise temp switches to operate the inverter to get the 220v, then some kind of cutout to save the batteries. Draining the tank might be the cheeper option, but it if you are going to cold places, a 12v heating element might be a better way to go.
DERNORD 12V 300W DC Submersible Water Heater Element Stainless Steel Heating Element with 1 Inch BSP Thread Fitting Double U Type https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0…J3CT7MY4MW.

Can be wired to use the one element 150w or two at 300 w.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #17
Quote by sprinter

Quote by The Rambler

link

By the time you orginise temp switches to operate the inverter to get the 220v, then some kind of cutout to save the batteries. Draining the tank might be the cheeper option, but it if you are going to cold places, a 12v heating element might be a better way to go.
DERNORD 12V 300W DC Submersible Water Heater Element Stainless Steel Heating Element with 1 Inch BSP Thread Fitting Double U Type https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0…J3CT7MY4MW.

Can be wired to use the one element 150w or two at 300 w.

300 Watts will not save your battery. The one I linked to up above is 25 W. You don't want to boil your water, you want to keep it above the freezing point. :happy: The normal sizing for aquarium heaters is about a watt per litre. But that's for running an aquarium at 25 to 28 degrees. Which is a lot more than needed here. Plus the aquarium heater is submersible assuming you can drop it in at the top of the tanks. A 12 volt element would need a special cut out and sealing.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #18
Quote by The Rambler

link

Have one of those in our water and waste tank,have used them in really bad weather but must be plugged in.

Liked by: The Rambler

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #19
Quote by ntg

Quote by The Rambler

link

Have one of those in our water and waste tank,have used them in really bad weather but must be plugged in.

Interesting. Waste tank too? That's not something I would ever bother to drain down in freezing conditions.

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Winterising your camper.

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #20
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by ntg

Quote by The Rambler

link

Interesting. Waste tank too? That's not something I would ever bother to drain down in freezing conditions.

Jason, the waste tank on my van is underneath and wrapped and Insulated, the fresh tank is inside in the storage area,under the bed, there is a hot air vent in there also. but the stupid thing is there is no drain off, if I want to empty it, I will have to pump it out using the taps, into the waste and drain it at the same time, or syphon it out trough the storage door.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #21
My waste tank is underneath too Martin. I don't think it's insulated. But I would not be concerned. My reservoir tank however is in the garage, i.e. not in a heated space. I have no direct way to drain it, other than removing the drain plug in the Carver heater , which is slow. I have never drained the tank in freezing conditions if I am using the van. That could be a problem as the water pump and pipework could freeze in the garage.

I know in many parts of the Arctic, people keep their vehicle oil sumps plugged in when parked up. I wonder if some kind of lagging/ electric jacket could be wrapped around the pump??

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #22
Quote by The Rambler

My waste tank is underneath too Martin. I don't think it's insulated. But I would not be concerned. My reservoir tank however is in the garage, i.e. not in a heated space. I have no direct way to drain it, other than removing the drain plug in the Carver heater , which is slow. I have never drained the tank in freezing conditions if I am using the van. That could be a problem as the water pump and pipework could freeze in the garage.

I know in many parts of the Arctic, people keep their vehicle oil sumps plugged in when parked up. I wonder if some kind of lagging/ electric jacket could be wrapped around the pump??

Would one of these work mounted in the garage beside the pump, with a temperature control switch.

Constant Temperature PTC Electric Fan Heater for Car Small Space Heating Incubator(12V 150W) controlled with
All-Purpose-Digital-Temperature-Controller-

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #23
Quote by sprinter

Quote by The Rambler

Would one of these work mounted in the garage beside the pump, with a temperature control switch.

Constant Temperature PTC Electric Fan Heater for Car Small Space Heating Incubator(12V 150W) controlled with

It sounds good. Do you have a link Martin?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #24
Jaysus lads, what fecking weather are you two expecting. Have ye not heard of the global warming 😜.
My van has some form of a heater between the tank and insulation that you can switch on in cold weather. Afaik, it only cuts in when temperatures drop below 2-3 degrees Celsius. I drain the fresh and waste tanks after every trip, so not an issue for me

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #25
We're all just looking for an excuse to go to southern Spain, David 😁😁

Liked by: <BM>, ntg, +deleted user

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #26
Winterising isn't really a problem for us...we're blessed to be living in sunny Skibbereen, West Cork. 😎🌞 Research has shown that this town has an almost identical climate to southern Spain, with endless sunshine and gentle breezes throughout each glorious day.
Our micro-climate is matched only by our superb road network, mile upon mile of silky smooth tarmac freeway, maintained at weekly intervals by a team of council experts.
Any members who recently attended the Bantry meet-up will confirm the wonder of this little piece of paradise!
Sorry, have to go. The nurse is on her rounds. 😐

Liked by: baguette, ColinM, eirebus, ntg, panda, Paul mcg, sprinter, TommyS, +deleted user

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #27
I have had my fresh water tank freeze in the Alps, its under the seat in the living area and in the double floor. It took ages to defrost with an electric blow heater.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #28
Quote by tony glenn

Winterising isn't really a problem for us...we're blessed to be living in sunny Skibbereen, West Cork. 😎🌞 Research has shown that this town has an almost identical climate to southern Spain, with endless sunshine and gentle breezes throughout each glorious day.
Our micro-climate is matched only by our superb road network, mile upon mile of silky smooth tarmac freeway, maintained at weekly intervals by a team of council experts.
Any members who recently attended the Bantry meet-up will confirm the wonder of this little piece of paradise!

😵💫😳🤯😝

Liked by: tony glenn

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #29
Quote by tony glenn

God bless that nurse Tony,😅 she needs a lot of help.😄😂

Liked by: sprinter, tony glenn

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #30
Jason I attemped to post the link, but it came out as half of the Amazon stock.

If you cooy this bit into Google, it will bring you to the heater, and if you scroll down it will show you the bought together temp controller.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2021  ·  #31
I see what you mean about the temperature controller Martin. As it happens, I do have an unused relay output on my Victron battery monitor. I have a Victron temperature sensor mounted on the battery, which is in the same compartment as the water pump. I believe I can program the relay output to trigger at a preset temperature. I could use that to power the heater. :-/

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Winterising your camper.

· 
Posted: 27.10.2021  ·  #32
I have the same set up running 3 cooling fans on the fridge vent, to keep the compartment below 25°.where it works best.
The is also a heater fitted behind the fridge, from the factory to heat up the compartment, for the same reason, if the outside temp gets too cold.

Liked by: The Rambler

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.