Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Omagh and Fermanagh Council

· 
Posted: 20.10.2021  ·  #1
Hey Folks, hope you’re all well.

I emailed Omagh and Fermanagh council in relation to their ban on overnight parking at Muckross. I have received the following reply;

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email regarding overnight parking at Muckross. I can confirm that overnight stays are currently not permitted on Council owned or controlled sites. I can advise that the Council has had to deal with issues regarding illegal parking and encampments on Council controlled and managed sites over the past number of years within the confines of our legislative base.

The Council also recognises the matter of short term stays and can advise that it is looking into the issue through the Tourism Task and Finish Working Group.

Regards

Stephen Forrest
Head of Parks Estates and Property

I have replied to this email and I will post any updates. I have also emailed Ards and North Down council re the ban on overnight parking at The Commons car park, but haven’t received a reply as yet.

Tee x

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Omagh and Fermanagh Council

· 
Posted: 20.10.2021  ·  #2
eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2021  ·  #3
Stephen Forrest
Head of Parks Estates and Property

Do you think that's his real name 😁

PS thanks for the good work 👍

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2021  ·  #4
He was made for the job! 🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳😂😂😂😂😂

Tee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

My reply email

· 
Posted: 20.10.2021  ·  #5
This was my reply to Stephen’s email…..

Good Evening Stephen,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your reply.

I am a native of Tyrone, but have lived in Co. Down since 1987. My late Father had a boat and we spent a lot of time at Muckross. It is a place very dear to my heart. I purchased a motorhome a couple of years ago and my first outing was to Muckross.

I am member of a motorhome club and I have written glowing reviews about the beauty and tranquility of Muckross. I, like other motorhomers, spend money locally when I’m there. I frequently have meals in local restaurants, buy takeaway food from local establishments and buy groceries and supplies from local shops. I take all my rubbish away with me and quite often, I lift rubbish that other non-motorhomers have left in the carpark. Everyone in the motorhome club I belong to, abide by strict rules in relation to how we treat the spaces we stay in. I appreciate that not everyone treats our beautiful countryside in the same way, but it’s so disheartening to know that the local council has imposed a blanket ban on all overnight parking.

Unlike caravans, motorhomes don’t need to stay at campsites or caravan sites. They are self contained. That was the main reason we bought a motorhome. It gives us the opportunity to enjoy a quieter life, away from the madding crowd. I was therefore, very disappointed and upset to see the signs now displayed at Muckross, banning overnight parking. It was always my first stop-off point.

I am aware that my one little lonely voice in the wilderness is highly unlikely to change to minds of decision makers in the council, but I do want them to know that myself and other decent motorhomers are very disappointed at their decision. At a time when the world is in lockdown and Northern Ireland tourism is struggling, the decision by the council to ban home grown tourists from their facilities is mind boggling.

Kind Regards

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2021  ·  #6
I have noticed those signs there the last couple of times I have stayed there,having stayed at that location many times over the years I can safely say that I have never witnessed any camper vans doing anything to provoke those silly signs to be erected.
Over the lockdown I have witnessed youths in cars starting small fires down at the waters edge to bbq on,and on one occasion saw them scarper before the Police arrived.
I think that they had been tipped off,the Police waved to us and drive on.
If anyone wishes to forward this to Mr Forrest then feel free and also feel free to include my name.

Liked by: panda, Tee

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.10.2021  ·  #7
Similar experience for us Norman, the visitors in cars and large groups with the jet skis etc. seem to create a lot of noise, rubbish and some anti-social behaviour. While I dont have a problem with motorised watersports my issues arose from them zooming in and donutting around the swimmers only area. But again its us who get the blame.

Is it a coincidence that the signs are new, a bit like the big new house that has been built!!

Liked by: ntg, panda

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.10.2021  ·  #8
Quote by the fat controller

Is it a coincidence that the signs are new, a bit like the big new house that has been built!!

My thoughts exactly John ,and it is my intention to keep using that area as those signs do not frighten me.
If I get a summons I will keep everyone informed,we have to show that we are not gypsies.
Sorry Gypsies would be allowed to park there otherwise that would be classed as discrimination.

Liked by: panda, relay racer

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.