Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Ferries to France

· 
Posted: 17.10.2021  ·  #1
Was checking the prices to France for May / June with Stena and Irish Ferries. Pricey . Anyone hear anything about any of the other companies having passenger services next year.

Liked by: tony glenn

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Ferries to France

· 
Posted: 17.10.2021  ·  #2
We were wondering the same. Perhaps Ferry travel will end up being for Lotto winners only. 😐

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2021  ·  #3
Well while fuel prices are on the rise, I cant see prices coming down, Ill settle for Ireland again next year, even if Camp sites were free on the continent you would get a hell of a lot nights in Ireland even at exorbitant prices for the cost of the ferry.

Liked by: mad max, ntg, panda, petereire, R&N, sprinter, +deleted user

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2021  ·  #4
Quote by CHAUSSON

Well while fuel prices are on the rise, I cant see prices coming down, Ill settle for Ireland again next year, even if Camp sites were free on the continent you would get a hell of a lot nights in Ireland even at exorbitant prices for the cost of the ferry.

Very true Pat. I'll be doing the same.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, sprinter

Thornwood
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2021  ·  #5
A holiday to France is a different experience to one in Ireland. If you can spread the ferry cost over 4-6 weeks it is worth it . Also you can save a bit on wine to offset the ferry cost.

Liked by: baguette, eirebus, Europa, PaulH, presstout1, TommyS, tony glenn, +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Ferries to France

· 
Posted: 18.10.2021  ·  #6
Quote by Thornwood

A holiday to France is a different experience to one in Ireland. If you can spread the ferry cost over 4-6 weeks it is worth it . Also you can save a bit on wine to offset the ferry cost.

Problem is, that the RIP of, ferry increases has put €1 on the price of your allocation of wine if there is Two traveling, €2 if you are on your own. :devil:

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2021  ·  #7
I just see the ferries as a necessary evil. Just have to pay and suck it up. Hopefully the holidays away make up for it. I've been looking at the boats for skiing in February, pricy enough.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2021  ·  #8
I always look with a bit of a envy at our fellow continental motorhomers who can just hop in, turn the key, and off they can go without the hastle and cost of ferries.
Also they don't seem to have all the holiday/health insurance difficulties we have. All those snowbirds down in Spain and Morocco seem not to have the same issues we have to deal with.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2021  ·  #9
I was actually browsing prices last night for next September....Quite pricey as everyones finding out....At this point it would have to be for a months trip to justify the price of going...When you add the cost of 3 dogs, vets etc it gets silly....So....4 weeks at least for me next year and Mirela can fly back early as 3 weeks is about the best she can arrange...We shall see.

Liked by: ntg, presstout1, sprinter

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2021  ·  #10
Quote by Thornwood

Yes, totally agree with you Leo if you are going for 4 or 6 weeks minimum. It can also be a different experience too if you have the misfortune of having an accident or breakdown there. The last time we were there we had a breakdown on a Friday evening near Millau on our way up from Spain, we were booked on the ferry home from Cherboug on Monday. phoned ADAC and they couldn't recover us off the Motorway so we had to phone the Motorway tow crowd, Lucky for us it was a Renault dealership that towed us in, they plugged us in to their ehu for the night and told us that they would look at the Motorhome on Monday the day we were suppose to be on the ferry home. Any way I said I could repair it myself if I had the parts and fair play to them they got me the parts they let me repair it myself in their forecourt. I had it going in less than half an hour and drove so hard for Cherbourg that we got there the day before our departure. :lol:

Getting back to ADAC, they paid for the recovery and told us to stay in the Garage for the weekend and they would put us up in a Hotel for a couple days while the Motorhome was been repaired, They phoned us Monday morning to organised things which was good. I joined them for peace of mind while on holiday abroad that they would repatriate the Motorhome if it broke down. The vibes that I got are they would tow you to the nearest Garage if you needed something like an engine and get one fitted there at your own expense, I'd say you would earn it to get them to bring it home.

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2021  ·  #11
Without wishing to drift too far off-topic, Chausson's ADAC experience was a bit of an eye-opener for me. Being one of the lucky ones who joined before they started restricting membership, I always took comfort in the assumption that if I had a major breakdown in France ( the MH, not me) then they would repatriate us and the MH back to Ireland. To be honest, that was the original reason for joining prior to our first France trip a few years ago.
Now I'm wondering if the repatriation option is as straightforward as the original brochure suggested?
After a recent injection pump malfunction in Galway (M6 toll-booth, long queue behind, don't ask!) I was able to avail of Aviva's excellent breakdown service...a tow-truck, a taxi back to the city, two nights accommodation (which we didn't need, stayed in the van on the garage forecourt), plus a hire car if required.
We managed a temporary fix which got us home, but I took it for granted that if it wasn't fixable then (again, according to their brochure) I could call ADAC and they would sort a tow back to our home or local garage.
I'm concerned now that there's some small print that I missed?
Now I'm wondering if they will only tow to the nearest garage, as did Aviva?

Liked by: CHAUSSON

Thornwood
Craic Addict
Subject:

Stena Discount

· 
Posted: 22.10.2021  ·  #12
While pricing the ferries the other day I registered for the Stena newsletter. I received an email from them today with a 20%discount code off our first booking. It last for seven days. Pressure on now to book.

Liked by: ntg, panda, presstout1, sprinter, tony glenn, +deleted user

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.10.2021  ·  #13
I'm an existing customer, so maybe that 20% is for new customers?
However, just checked their offers, motorhome for the same price as a car on certain days travelling!

Liked by: presstout1

Joe_Biden
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.10.2021  ·  #14
On the ADAC experience on the French Motorways that Chausson had, don't forget that the French Motorways are private and have given exclusive towing rights to a specific recovery company. ADAC (or any other towing company) can't just roll up and tow a breakdown off.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.10.2021  ·  #15
Quote by Joe_Biden

On the ADAC experience on the French Motorways that Chausson had, don't forget that the French Motorways are private and have given exclusive towing rights to a specific recovery company. ADAC (or any other towing company) can't just roll up and tow a breakdown off.

That is correct Joe, Iv a feeling they might drive it home when repaired alright which would suit many, in my case I would repair it for a fraction of the cost of France at home myself. I know they screwed me for the few bits I got but would be happy to pay double just to get back on the road

Liked by: sprinter

benen
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: fiat ducato
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.10.2021  ·  #16
Took stena to cherburg with dog cabin, never use ,she stayed in van can go down at ten at night to walk and 10 in morning ,I think u was more comfortable in camper, just reach spain now

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Ferries to France

· 
Posted: 22.10.2021  ·  #17
Quote by panda

I was actually browsing prices last night for next September....Quite pricey as everyones finding out....At this point it would have to be for a months trip to justify the price of going...When you add the cost of 3 dogs, vets etc it gets silly....So....4 weeks at least for me next year and Mirela can fly back early as 3 weeks is about the best she can arrange...We shall see.

@panda
John check how you will ship the 3 dogs, I read somewhere you can only kennel 2 together. Not sure which ferry it was.

Liked by: eirebus, kabundi, panda

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2021  ·  #18
I will check it out Martin ...thanks 👍

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2021  ·  #19
Yes I think you will need two lodges John

Liked by: panda

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2021  ·  #20
Quote by Daffysparks

Yes I think you will need two lodges John

Fly one out with Ryanaer and pick him at the airport far side ..........the guide dog one 😉😉

Liked by: eirebus, panda, sprinter

presstout1
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 896f
Base Vehicle: Fait Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2021  ·  #21
Quote by CHAUSSON

I would question about if campsites were free.
We rarely use campsites as we don't need pools or entertainment laid on & prefer to use Aires. Most towns & villages have at least one average price is €8 many including ehu & quite a few are free. Spoilt for choice.
We are not long back from 3 weeks in Scotland & used campsites as we were not sure about other parking options.
I calculated that the difference in cost of French Aires & our campsites would cover the ferry.
Apart from that, as others have said, it's a different experience plus if you go far enough south, you are guaranteed the sun.
We love it & can't wait to get back

krissovo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2021  ·  #22
I booked the ferry for next year, its expensive but the wife and kids all said they want sun and outdoor pools next year. I fear that if I do not deliver there will be a mutiny so I went overboard and booked 6 weeks even though I can only take 3 weeks holiday. I will need to figure out how I work from the motorhome but at least its a nice problem to have.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2021  ·  #23
tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2021  ·  #24
After missing two years, we're looking at a return to France next year....Stena Line 10th May to 1st June,
745 euro flexi.
I'm keen to press the button as some cabin options are already sold out.
So unless anyone here shouts 'Stop! Here's a better deal!' before tomorrow morning, it's happening.
(We're going for the culture and architecture.....but wondering if they sell wine as well? Just asking....)

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2021  ·  #25
Quote by tony glenn

After missing two years, we're looking at a return to France next year....Stena Line 10th May to 1st June,
745 euro flexi.
I'm keen to press the button as some cabin options are already sold out.
So unless anyone here shouts 'Stop! Here's a better deal!' before tomorrow morning, it's happening.
(We're going for the culture and architecture.....but wondering if they sell wine as well? Just asking....)

I don't think that sounds too bad Tony, I wouldn't delay in pressing the button if I were you

Liked by: panda, tony glenn

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2021  ·  #26
Mange tout, Chausson. Irish Ferries are slightly cheaper, but we didn't enjoy the Dublin Port experience last time. Rosslare suits us better, coming up from Sunny Skibbereen.
Brittany were significantly more again, otherwise we'd travel from Cork of course.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2021  ·  #27
Quote by tony glenn

Mange tout, Chausson. Irish Ferries are slightly cheaper, but we didn't enjoy the Dublin Port experience last time. Rosslare suits us better, coming up from Sunny Skibbereen.
Brittany were significantly more again, otherwise we'd travel from Cork of course.

The first time we went to France it was a last minute decision, we got a good deal with Brittany on the way out and we came home with Celtic link. to this day Brittany's prices are off the radar every time I check them, Pity as Cork suits us better too

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Ferries to France

· 
Posted: 05.11.2021  ·  #28
You do know I hope that there is a new ramp tax in Rosslare, the collectors are a right pair, they will be standing there to inforce it.
I think hey used to operate in the ectrical field.

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2021  ·  #29
A ramp tax? Feck's sake, I'm already paying a Skibbereen departure tax!

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2021  ·  #30
Quote by tony glenn

I wouldn't pay that I'd stay there, somebody said it's a lovely place 😁

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2021  ·  #31
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by tony glenn

The first time we went to France it was a last minute decision, we got a good deal with Brittany on the way out and we came home with Celtic link. to this day Brittany's prices are off the radar every time I check them, Pity as Cork suits us better too

Pat....Last time we travelled to Spain was with Brittany Ferries....Great facilities for dogs so that was are main reason. Vowed I'd never use them again though...The amount of times they cancelled sailings both to and from Spain was a nightmare....Mirela flew back from Santander because she had to be in work whilst I waited in the Port 2 days for them to fly Engineers out to fix the problems....These issues they had were an ongoing saga and well documented.....It was also their dont give a feck attitude to stranded passengers that did it for me....Never again

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus, ntg, sprinter, +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2021  ·  #32
Quote by sprinter

You do know I hope that there is a new ramp tax in Rosslare, the collectors are a right pair, they will be standing there to inforce it.

Flipperdipper and Mrs Flipperdipper 😜

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2021  ·  #33
Quote by eirebus

Quote by tony glenn

I wouldn't pay that I'd stay there, somebody said it's a lovely place 😁

Said by a very wise man, apparently. (Also charming and extremely good looking too)

Liked by: eirebus

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2021  ·  #34
Quote by Daffysparks

Quote by sprinter

Flipperdipper and Mrs Flipperdipper 😜

Well as I've just booked for next year I have to get the funds somewhere. :lol: :lol:

Liked by: ntg, panda, sprinter, +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2021  ·  #35
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.