mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

Norway 2021

· 
Posted: 29.09.2021  ·  #1
We just returned from our third journey to Norway, 31 days round trip including 22 in the country, just a couple of short visits to Sweden and Finland.
From northern Italy 11,600 kilometers of which about 6,500 in the country.

If you need information about possible itineraries, scenic routes, rest areas, campsites, tolls, ferries and of course covid management, feel free to ask.

Max

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Norway 2021

· 
Posted: 29.09.2021  ·  #2
mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2021  ·  #3
In Norway I think we have now covered almost twenty thousand kilometers.

Our first trip (August 2013) was a clockwise round trip from Oslo to Nordkapp, many towns (Oslo, Bergen, Alesund, Trondheim, Tromso and some nature (Lofoten, Geiranger).
The second (August 2018) counterclockwise dedicated to some of the scenic routes (the Norvegian tourism office catalogs 18).
Starting from Eastern Finnmark up to the Russian border, the beautiful Senja, Vesteralen archipelago with whales watching cruise, Lofoten archipelago, etc.
The last (August 2021) a mix of the two, we traveled the entire Helgelanskysten scenic route which in 2018 we abandoned in the middle, the narrow Aurlansfjellet, etc.
And we returned to some towns like Tromso, Alesund and Bergen that we liked.
We have entered the Telemark that many ignore. Ended in the south, some nice fishermen villages and Lindenses fyr (lighthouse on the extreme south, let call it South Cape.

We miss a winter cruise on one of the Hurtigruten company ships in search of the Northern Lights.
It was planned a couple of years ago but then we gave up because it was very expensive.

A couple of photos to give you an idea of ​​the views you can admire.

Svartisen Glacier from the rest area just before Halsa, reaches a few tens of meters from the sea.

Aurlandsfjord from viewpoint Stegastein on the Aurlandsfjellet scenic route.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2021  ·  #4
Nordcap is on my bucket list. I've heard that Norway is a very expensive place. How do prices of fuel, groceries, and dining out compare with for example Italy/France?
Are there Aree Di Sosta or must you use formal camping sites?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2021  ·  #5
panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2021  ·  #6
Stunning pics!

adria
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2021  ·  #7
Great trip and great scenery...looks like a to do trip...... on the bucket list..,.

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2021  ·  #8
Quote by baguette

Nordcap is on my bucket list. I've heard that Norway is a very expensive place. How do prices of fuel, groceries, and dining out compare with for example Italy/France?
Are there Aree Di Sosta or must you use formal camping sites?

We have been to the North Cape twice, in 2013 and this year.
Both times we were very lucky, beautiful days with clear skies.
But to tell the truth we were not very impressed, those who like us have seen the cliffs of your fantastic island have admired much more beautiful views.
Of course, the idea of being on top of the world ...

That said, let's get to your questions.

As a currency I will use the local one, NOK. It is up to you to convert it into euros or pounds.

- Overnight:
Quite common the formal campsites with prices (vehicle + two people) from 260 to 400NOK, the latter in Molde and Kristiansand.
Note on Denmark and Sweden, they always ask for Camping Key Europe but almost always let in even if you don't have it.
However, some want it as it includes a form of insurance. It can be bought on the spot for around 15 euros and is valid until December 31st.

But in Norway it is not absolutely necessary to use campsites, after all the friluftsliv (open air living) is one of the characteristics of all Scandinavian peoples.
In Norway there is the Allemanretten law (everyman's right, see https://www.tromsooutdoor.no/a…-in-norway ) allowing free or wildcamp).
Which, even with due respect, allows you to stop and stay even in private areas. Just don't take advantage of it.
Even if I had the impression that something is changing and, for example on the Lofoten islands, I noted the beginning of a form of resentment towards itinerant tourism.
In August they have now become an unlivable and crowdy place.
Even in Norway, motorhomes have now replaced caravans, the ratio is a Norwegian for every foreigner motorhome.
Too many campers on the roads, the Norwegians were added to the hundreds of foreigners.

However everywhere in the country you will find quiet spots where you can stay overnight.
But those where you have to pay are increasing, almost never for fractions of the day.
Minimum price for a 24 hour stopover in Steinkier, 31NOK. Average 150, maximum in Svolvaer (Lofoten), 300NOK.

- Emptying points:
Once almost absent, cassette toilet and gray water discharge points are now widespread.
Many fuel stations make them available for free.

- Restaurants:
from 180 to 500NOK per person.
Enjoy salmon and codfish but please avoid asking for whale meat which is a protected species in the civilized world.

- Food:
The only supermarkets of a certain size are Rema1000, Coop and Kiwi.
Much higher prices than in France, Spain and Italy.
Especially for fruit which is sold by piece and not by weight, e.g. 10NOK a quite small apple.
Once upon a time, farmers put a table with boxes of excellent fruit, especially apples, cherries and plums, and a box in which to put the amount to be paid, usually little more than symbolic.
This year we have not seen them again, not even in the Songefjord area with its typical and widespread crops.

- Fuel:
Prices are extremely variable, for a liter of diesel you can pay 13.2NOK but also 16.9.
More expensive brands are Best and K-Circle, strange but cheaper are international brands Esso and Shell.
Even strange but we found the lowest as well as the highest price in the Best sales points.
In fact, some distributors offer significant discounts during the weekend or on Monday morning.
Note on AD Blue: Not all but many Esso points and some K-Circles have pump with nozzle for cars and vans and not just for HGV.

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2021  ·  #9
Nordkapp (this year free parking (usually around 75€/48h) but museum/church/balcony/northern lights movie and even shop 260NOK per person.
Subsea tunnel to get on Mageroya Island (where the Cape is) free since 2012.

Liked by: baguette, panda, Paul mcg, +deleted user

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2021  ·  #10
I forgot to mention alcohol.
Very, very expensive, a 25cl bottle of beer costs around 100NOK on average.
I wonder how much a pint may cost.

Somewhere I read that Rema1000 sells alcohol until 6p.m.
Not sure, only Anna comes in and buys.
But I would exclude it.

As far as I know, wine and beer are just sold in the state-owned VINMONOPOLET stores.
At absurdly high prices, at least for us Italians.
I saw three 25cl briquettes of the worst Italian wine (Tavernello) at 99.9NOK.
By curiosity, I checked how much they cost in Italy: €1.70.
It's up to you to convert and do the math.

Max

Liked by: eirebus, Paul mcg

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2021  ·  #11
Returning to parking lots and rest areas:

The two mailboxes system in use in the past have almost disappeared.
In one you found an envelope and a form to fill in with license plate and type (van or motorhome = BOBIL).
In the second you had to put the envelope with the completed form and the due amount.
I remember such a system in Reine and Eggum (Lofoten) and in Botnhamn on the island of Senja.

Now the payment methods are basically four:
1. Cash (coins only). We have withdrawn 3,000NOK at the first ATM we found (Lakselv, shortly after entering Norway) but we used maybe 300. The rest used for grocery and small souvenirs shopping.
2. Credit card, Visa or Mastercard, never seen Diner's and Amex.
3. Local municipality apps. They work well but every time you have to download the one you need by associating it to a credit card. Sometimes confusing instructions.
We happened to have to use them in Råå (Sweden) and Bergen (Norway), places where it was the only accepted payment system.
4. General apps. Among others, most of the car parks and rest areas accept the widespread "Easy Park" system, which is convenient and which I recommend to have.

Max

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2021  ·  #12
Great info Max, looks like a stunning trip. The scenery is amazing.

For all our readers, the exchange rate for NOK / EUR is roughly 100NOK = €10

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2021  ·  #13
Now let's talk about tolls and ferries.

TOLLS:
The below refers ONLY to vehicles under 3.5ton.
I leave it up to you to check the conditions for vehicles that exceed them.
For example, Norway provides a "TAG", a small device for the automatic recording of passages.
The site https://www.autopass.no/en/visitors-payment textually reports: A user agreement and the use of a toll tag is mandatory for most vehicles above 3.5 tonnes.
I'll leave it up to you to see what "most" means.

In Denmark, Sweden and Norway, billing is handled by https://www.epass24.com/.
To avoid incorrect billing due to weight or environmental class, register and send your registration certificate.

Denmark:
There are two toll bridges, Storebælt Bridge (between the east and west of the country) and the Øresund Bridge (between Denmark and Sweden).
Rates depending on the length (up to 6 meters, from 6 to 8, etc.).
The second can be replaced by the Helsingor (DK) -Helsinborg (S) ferry which costs exactly the same.

Sweden:
Stockholm and Gothenburg have a congestion taxes.
Free motorways with two exceptions that require the payment of an infrastructure tax:
Motala Bridge and Sundsvall Bridge.
Both can be avoided with a short detour.
These are absolutely ridiculous figures, for example at Motala 5SEK but with a rather annoying post-payment.
Always managed by epass24.

Norway:
Many cities, for example Bodo, Trondheim, Kristiansand, Bergen and of course Oslo have a congestion tax.
Some sections of roads and tunnels are subject to an infrastructure tax.
Note: The toll is abolished once the construction costs have been amortized, for example the tunnel connecting Mageroya (Nordkapp) to the mainland has been free since 2012.
Most sections that were paid for on our first trip are now free.
The reference site is https://www.autopass.no/en/, see subpage "foreign vehicles".
In turn, it invites you to register the vehicle on epass24, see what has already been said above.

FERRIES:
To reach Norway we used the Puttgarden (D)-Rodbyhavn (DK) ferry and then the Øresund bridge.
To leave the ferry Kristiansand (N) -Hirsthals (DK).
Here, however, I would like to talk about those within Norway. This year we have used 14 of which 6 for the Helgelandskysten scenic route alone.
Typically there are no major booking problems, the rides are quite frequent and at most you will have to wait for the next one.
An exception could be the quite long (4 hours approx.) Bodo-Moskenes (Lofoten), especially in the opposite direction.
IMPORTANT: Almost all companies adopt a summer timetable that ends on August 31st.
After that date the number of daily crossings is reduced and some even canceled. Check each route in advance.

Payments: Only on the Arsvågen-Mortavika route we paid by credit card to an employee.
The rest of the routes are automatic, see https://www.autopass.no/en/payment/ferries
Upon boarding, you are photographed by cameras or an employee passes by with a mobile phone and photographs the license plate.
At home you will receive the invoice exactly as in the case of road tolls.

Often the ferries are just small ships that shuttle between one shore and the other, here we are in Orderdalen in the Troms og Finnmark region.

Max

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2021  ·  #14
Great blog Max brings back memories of Scandinavia. We went to Norway Sweden and Denmark years ago and loved it so much we went back to Copenhagen again

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2021  ·  #15
Not only natural landscapes but also some works of man.
Bridge on the scenic route Atlanterhavsvegen (Atlantic Ocean Road) going from Kristiansund (not to be confused with Kristiansand) to Bud.
Many of you will surely have seen it on some tourist brochures about Norway.
Here framed from a slightly different perspective.

Liked by: JJF, panda, Paul mcg

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2021  ·  #16
How on earth do they manage that bridge in frosty conditions ? That's one slide I wouldn't fancy.

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2021  ·  #17
Quote by Flipperdipper

How on earth do they manage that bridge in frosty conditions ? That's one slide I wouldn't fancy.

For us they are perhaps extreme situations but they live there.
In the morning they go to work and in the evening they return home.
Then maybe in winter no one goes down this road.
Even though there are hundreds of bridges, just think about the spectacular Hardangerbrua.
In any case, they use studded winter tires such as the Nokian Hakkapeliitta.

They are not so crazy, on the roads it often happens to see bars.
And a sign.
In the summer they are up and the sign without writing.
In winter they are lowered, the departure times of the convoys are placed on the sign and you have to queue up to wait for the leading truck.
By the way, the sign invites you to keep a speed of "at least" 60km/h. sometime 80...

Max

p.s. In Northern Italy there are places like Livigno where in winter -25/-30 °C are quite normal.
Not so different from the Norwegian ones ...

Liked by: Flipperdipper

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2021  ·  #18
Yes max , I've been in Livigno at -18 and drivers have no problems getting around

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2021  ·  #19
Quote by mtravel

Interesting coincidence. I never knew anything about that bridge until I saw your post earlier. I then go and see the new James Bond movie this evening and that bridge is in it.

Liked by: sprinter

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2021  ·  #20
mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2021  ·  #21
mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.10.2021  ·  #22
Lofoten archipelago, it seems like a bad day don't you think?
Dont't worry, the sun begins to filter through the clouds.

Two hours later, now the sun has won and begins to raise the light haze of the night.
The colors are about to explode in all their beauty.

Here we are in Nordmela on the Vesteralen archipelago.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.