Newbie teething problems old(ish) Van

krissovo
Craic'er
Subject:

Newbie teething problems old(ish) Van

· 
Posted: 17.04.2021  ·  #1
First real trip out this weekend and I have a few teething issues with a Dethleffs Advantage A class:

• Leisure Battery - I have 2 leisure batteries, I think one is for the 12v and the other is to run the inverter. We parked up last night with 100% 12v leisure battery according to the panel, we were running the alde heating (admittedly high at 22 deg) , lounge & rear bed lights (all LED converted) probably 2 spots and approx 10 downlighters. At the same time I was running a TV and WIFI router from the inverter. After 90 minutes I checked the battery status and it was 90%, this seamed reasonable usage. for me. 1 hour later the 12v switched off with the "charge battery" warning and displayed 0. The WIFI and TV were still running fine off the inverter.

Does this sound like dodgy leisure battery or would what I was running on the 12v really drain that fast?

• Water Pressure at tap & waste drain - The kitchen tap has poor cold water pressure but hot is a little better, the shower and toilet sink are much better. I have cleaned some gunk out of the kitchen tap so that is clear but it takes forever to fill the sink. Looking at the pump (submersible) its .5 bar and with the kitchen sink furthest from the pump would increasing the pump output to 1 bar help my pressure or should I be checking elsewhere?

• Sat Nav - Following a tip from here I tried Sygic Truck and an Ipad for the sat nav, basically didn't work at all and struggled to find signal. After ending up on some roads in West Cork that my old VW camper would be happy with I found its a very different story with the A class. Is there any way to boost signal or should I invest in either a proper motor home sat nav or upgrade my old radio to a modern infotainment plus sat nav? Something like a pioneer head unit here: https://www.pioneer-car.eu/uk/products/avic-evo1-dt2-c-gr

• Crap reverse camera - My reverse camera sucks, resolution, brightness and contrast is impossible to dial in. It has a monitor on the dash and the cables appear to small black connectors rather than the yellow AV. Is it better to get a new camera along with the multimedia and sat nav unit or possible replace an old camera in the hope of a better image?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Newbie teething problems old(ish) Van

· 
Posted: 18.04.2021  ·  #2
1,, for the amount of power your using you need to ditch the batteries and fit a small nuclear reactor

3 Synic works well on your phone, some tablets don't have good enough GPS to keep up with the van moving

Liked by: krissovo, Stacks

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2021  ·  #3
2. Definitely still no air in the system still? Would be more likely in the hot water than cold water though. Your leisure battery being low would likely eventually cause the pump to run slow but unlikely to be the issue. Both leisure batteries should be wired to get her really when the 2nd one was put in.

4. I replaced both my monitor and camera as the one that came with must have been used on the ark. For you it could be the monitor or the camera, more likely the camera. If you are getting someone to replace it I would wire 2 cameras at the same time - one mounted high looking down and one mounted in a number plate holder which you can get off eBay.

Don’t rely on a reversing camera for reversing - use your wing mirrors first and foremost as the camera wont give a wide enough view and you might clip the van if reversing round a corner. Camera is fine for seeing how close you are to a wall or if and object is immediately behind you.

Liked by: panda

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2021  ·  #4
1. again, I'd say you have 2 x 95ah leisure batteries and that's all the power they have so every amp you use drains them, use 1or 2 lights, heating is heavy user too, turn it down as soon as possible, inverter uses power as well as what it operating, TV program your watching is over, turn it off basically you have to be as power mean as possible, once you use it you lose it, until you fit solar panels or plug in

Liked by: CHAUSSON, krissovo, ntg, panda

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2021  ·  #5
Are the batteries old, and have they been sitting for a long tine without trickle. Even though they read 12 odd bolts doednt mean they are properly charged. Also do you have solar or split charging wnen driving?

Liked by: krissovo

krissovo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2021  ·  #6
Digging around today and doing a lot of testing I do have 2 95ah batteries and I also I have 2 solar panels plus a split charge relay. The batteries look in good condition but I will probably do a discharge test to double check, I was getting 6 amps from the solar even being grey sky so I believe they are 100 or 150 watt panels.

One of the batteries is connected to the control panel in the van. This is where my issue may have come from, the capacity on the control panel which is manually entered was the combined AH output from both the batteries even though only one is connected for 12v leisure. I reset the control panel to 90AH and it appears to read correctly now.

I also found a manual for the control panel, it initially trips as a physical warning based on capacity but you can override it. It will then trip again once the voltage drops below 11v and stay tripped until charged so we could have probably kept the 12v electrics running and had full use.

I am thinking of connecting the batteries in parallel, I cannot see a downside and that way I can see how both leisure batteries are doing but any guidance would be useful.

Another plus from today is that I know what the power draw for all my 12v system, the fridge is clearly a massive energy drain at 13 amps and I also know not every light is LED. The fancy over-lights on the cupboards and the awning light were both pulling 3 amps each which is more than all the other lights combined.

Liked by: panda

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2021  ·  #7
You should only use fridge on 12 volt when your engine is running, ie when you are driving You should run it on gas when parked up

Liked by: eirebus, krissovo

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2021  ·  #8
You confused me when you said all lights were led, as the overhead lights are difficult to convert and I think they use about 5 amps, you should have 2 x 95ah fitted under the front seat connected to a Schaudt controller and you're solar and batteries should go through this, its a semi smart type controller and everything has to go through it as it measures everything put in and taken out of the batteries, and acts accordingly

Liked by: krissovo

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.