Animal #Health Certificates

raymondo
Craic'er
Subject:

Animal #Health Certificates

· 
Posted: 03.04.2021  ·  #1
As many or all of you probably know taking your pooch to England/Scotland is now not only a night mare it is a very expensive nightmare.

Bad enough the rabies injection (!) and the treatment for a type of tapeworm unkown in either UK or the island of Ireland the Pet Passport and the post departure vet check.
But in order to return to NI (or RoI) with fido you now need a Animal Health Certificate obtained from a vet in GB not more that 5 days before departure and not less than 24 hours before departure.

As a frequent traveler across the Irish sea (with a dog) I have been emailing vets in Scotland and England about getting an AHC.

So far I have had answers ranging from "No you arent a registered patient" to "We have never done one before so we cant say" but most are giving a price in the area of £150 (Remember that you need one for each return - in my case often 3 times per year).

So that is the moan over now the point is there any one out there who knows of a vet in GB that doesnt want to insert his/her arm elbow deep in my wallet?

finally sorry if this isnt in the right place or has been covered previously (I couldnt see it else where)

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Animal #Health Certificates

· 
Posted: 03.04.2021  ·  #2
All I know is that on my usual trip to Spain with the dog(S) using the landbridge is now no longer an option it will have to be a direct sailing, all because of the AHC etc.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2021  ·  #3
Yeah....will be avoiding the UK like the plaque as we have 3 dogs.

Liked by: eirebus

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2021  ·  #4
My understanding is that if you have an EU pet passport issued on the Island of Ireland then that can be used instead of an AHC, looks like the tapeworm treatment is required, but we needed that coming from the continent anyway, so if just using landbridge and your onward trip to Ireland is still within 5 days, nothing will have changed, I THINK!

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=h…pdf#page=1

Liked by: panda

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2021  ·  #5
I think I read somewhere that if a GB vet makes an entry in an EU pet passport the passport becomes invalid. This may only apply to mainland EU use but if correct seems to defeat the system unless you only want to travel to GB.

raymondo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2021  ·  #6
I dont know if that is right (Im not saying it isnt I just dont know) UK issued passport however are now invalid (by extension NI passports issued before Jan 2021 are also invalid).

As far as GB vets are concerned the required paperwork is now the AHC which unlike the passport is a one off document a new one being required for each trip. Vets justify their fee by saying that the work takes about 45 minutes(!!)

This is obviously going to have an impact on residents of NI who wish to travel with their dog(s) to GB.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2021  ·  #7
https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=h…pdf#page=1

The above link is to a document on a ROI government website that states Northern Ireland Pet passports are still valid for EU travel, there is no change in NI. Also, the pet passport can be used instead of an AHC. I believe all that is required is for a Northern Ireland vet to stamp the passport with an EU stamp.The document also states that GB vets can update the passport with details of medications without affecting the passport validity.

raymondo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2021  ·  #8
Thankyou for that Colin it gives some hope that common sense will prevail.

I will give DAERA a ring after Easter to see what they say - I will let you all know how I get on

Liked by: ColinM, JettaJohn

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2021  ·  #9
kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2021  ·  #10
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.