Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

France Booked

· 
Posted: 04.01.2013  ·  #1
Right then. Have done it. Booked Celtic Lines
Doing France for the first time with the Motorhome in July.
Me, Mary, Natasha & Charlie the hound.
Rosslare - Cherburg. Luvly.
1. Need advise/recomendations for Brakedown/Recovery and just in case, to get me home.
2. Dont get into Cherburg until 1530 so I will need a camp site for the first night close to Cherburg as it will be quite late.
Common all you seasoned travellers.
:up:

Robbie

Subject:

Re: France Booked

· 
Posted: 04.01.2013  ·  #2
If you want a proper Campsite rather than an aire, this is close and a very good one from what others have said.

http://www.anse-du-brick.com/

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2013  ·  #3
Colin you could try the municipal site in st mere eglise. A town full of history with a very interesting War museum.

Or

The Aire at bricquebec is great for a night. Free to stay with free electric and walking distance of the town

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2013  ·  #4
Hi Colin,

This seems a reasonable site, http://www.normandie-tourisme….04G-1.html

I have not stayed on it. We stayed on the aire which they operate next door to the main site which was excellent. Walked around the main site and it seemed fine, though not a bells and whistles site.

There are several sites along the coast to the south of here. again we only saw them as we cycled along the coast, they seemed fairly basic but would do till you get yourself familiarised with the area. In other words I dont think you would be stuck.

The Municipal sites represent good value for money if you dont need entertainment and a pool etc.

If you are happy to use Aires, and I would encourage you to try one or two to see if you like them, then I would recommend the book 'All the aires, France' by vicarious books,

The ACSI produce an excellent book of sites, many with discounts on the low season.

There should be a thread on here somewere that lists a lot of usefull links to good websites for France.

We have family european cover ( 5 policies) with RAC via C&CC arrival which does not limit size of van and will recover to the UK for about £250 per year, not had to use the continental side of the service, thank goodness.

Lots of seasoned UK motorhomers seem to recommend ADAC which is German based but operates Europe wide and can be used in the UK as well.

Davy

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2013  ·  #5
We used green flag for breakdown cover last year. Booked online and printed the documents off ourselves. I must admit it did feel a bit weird doing it that way. Thankfully we didn't need it so I cannot comment on their service. I don't remember the price but will check and see if I can find it.

Looks like we will going for two weeks in March (without Motorhome) and two weeks in June with Motorhome this year

I can also recommend the two guides which Davy suggested. The campsite guide also gets you discount off season which will not be any good for you this year. It is possible to also download the same sites onto a satnav from Archies site.

I will be at the next rally if you fancy a chat about France.

pogonogo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2013  ·  #6
Come and see me at a rally for some aires info......uib8040

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2013  ·  #7
I have used a company called EVBC for a few years now,thankfully i have not needed their assistance yet .your van covered for a month would work out about £41,or £63 for a full year.repatriation to the uk is included. just google EVBC breakdown. When starting out in France we usually head down the country about 60 miles or so the first evening and have stayed at ,Du Chateau lez eaux 50380 Saint pair sur mer. :up:

alien alan
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2013  ·  #8
This is very interesting. I wish I had bought a Motorhome so I can get booked to go too.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2013  ·  #9
Well done Colin, you"ll love it. You"ll be spoilt for choice as you go down the west coast, there are some fantastic sites. Petie mentioned Chateau les Eaux, it"s a lovely 4 star site in the grounds of a chateau, good bar and pool and you should be there for about 6:00pm if you"re off the boat sharpish. Try ADAC for break down, heard they"re pretty good, Cheers.

colinbredin
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2013  ·  #10
Alien,
Take the plunge and do it. Youll love it.

Paul H,
Looked at Les Eaux on the web.Site looks great and dogs are free. Course their all a bit pricey. But I am thinking of going here for the first 2 nights just to get my bearings and break the wife and daughter into it gently. As you said arriving their at 6pm would be just nice. Just in time for a beer or three. Do you think I need to book it or just arrive ?
Thanks mate

colinbredin
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2013  ·  #11
Mark,

Tried to PM you but it wont let me. 🇧🇭
A while back not sure if it was you or Ally give instruction on how to download campsites in France.
Bought a new Garmins yesturday and looking for a freebie down load if thier is one for campsites.
Talk Soon :up:

colinbredin
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2013  ·  #12
Mark,
Should have left a contact.

colin.bredin@palmerharvey.co.uk
or
Anyone with a list of great camp sites
Plan of action for me
Only heading down as far as La Rochell and nipping across county to Arodour then back to the coast.
There for 18 nights so some ideas for places to visit and routes would be marvelous.
Cant really do Aires unfortunately because it would not be fair for my 14 year old as she likes swiming pools. Dont think she would be too impressed parking in a car park for 3 weeks.
But not looking for expensive Campsites either.
I Know O-) Im a fussey bugger

Can you really tell Ive never travelled abroad with a MH before. :up:

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2013  ·  #13
Quote by colinbredin

Tried to PM you but it wont let me.

You need to subscribe at only €10 per year to be able to PM plus more.

See HERE

:D

P.S. loads of French links here forum/topic.php?t=1426

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2013  ·  #14
Colin use this link to download the Archie's France zip file
http://www.archiescampings.eu/downloads/archies_europe-f.zip

Then install the correct file into your Garmin.

I suggest you buy the ASCI book too as it is much easier to select the site from it. Once you know where you are going put the name into the satnav.

There is an Aire right beside the village of Ourador Sur Glane if that is where you are going. Our friends had two teenagers with them last year and used it. No problems with the kids. You will only do one day in the village so an Aire for a night might be ok.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2013  ·  #15
The Aire at Ourador Sur Glane is excellent and there's a few nice restaurants also in the village. The old town that was burned by the Gremans and the visitor centre is well worth a visit but allow most of a day to visit it.

JAG147
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2013  ·  #16
Would recommend ADAC for breakdown cover, £80 approx for the year, we needed to use them last year in France, first class service, if you search my posts you will find the breakdown number for the autoroutes regardless of who you are covered with,

They arranged recovery, hotel, taxi, etc when we needed them

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2013  ·  #17
I know it is not nice to need to use your cover but it is good to hear they sorted you out.
It is all well and good paying these insurances every year but unless we are told of a good service when it is actually used we never know.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2013  ·  #18
JAG147 maybe you could give us the details again as I paid the CC £120 for a month last year. Tks

JAG147
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2013  ·  #19
Jack, will do, will dig out the contact details later and post them up on the site , you get a small membership card with it, their docs are all in German but I have the English translation, the card is the important bit and you don't want to loose it,

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2013  ·  #20
Thanks Jag147. Look forward to that.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.01.2013  ·  #21
Hi Colin. You ask whether you need to book? I always do as it"s a busy time of year and I would never want any nasty surprises after a long drive. We"re a big unit so I always phone to confirm the size of pitches, if you can speak a bit of "Frog" it always helps. Try a website "Les Campings" , it has soooo many to choose from and you can "click" on a map to see the available sites, their star rating and their websites. Having tried all the ferries over the years, I can recommend Celtic Link, very good on price and far less hassle than the slog down through England. We"re heading down towards La Rochelle in July/Aug. ourselves so I"m at the planning stage too... The fun starts ! :up: A lovely site in The Loire is "Vallee des Vignes", 20mins. to Saumur, nice pool, bar/resaurant and English owned but, still very French. We used it for a week on our way back up to Cherbourg last year. Cheers.

JAG147
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2013  ·  #22
Quote by jacktherev

Thanks Jag147. Look forward to that.

Jack apologies for the delay,

ADAC European Recovery 0049 221 4727444, OR ADAC OFFICE 0049 94152344 this will put you thro' to Germany but they can speak english ok and enough to get you regsistered. ITS THE PLUS SERVICE YOU WANT

as i say, they will send you a membership card, and alot of other s*** i German, but i have the english translation of it and can email it to you.

79 euros i recall for last year/this years cover

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.