Buying a motorhome in the UK post Brexit. VRT, VAT and registration expenses

Kya Richards
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2021  ·  #1
Hello,

I did own an old Bursner motorhome many years ago, and I'm interested in getting another, but I CANNOT afford the prices here in Ireland. I see well priced MHs in the UK and I'm wondering just what would be involved in buying in the UK and driving one back here. VRT, VAT and registration expenses. Can someone give me an outline of what to expect?

Daffysparks

Subject:

Re: Buying a motorhome in the UK post Brexit. VRT, VAT and registration expenses

· 
Posted: 14.03.2021  ·  #2
Northern Ireland MH are just charged vrt at 13.3% of open market value.
Since January 1st. MH from British mainland will have vrt at 13.3%, vat at 23%, and customs duty of 10%.

petereire
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: autoquest 270
Base Vehicle: Talbot express
Subject:

Re: Buying a motorhome in the UK post Brexit. VRT, VAT and registration expenses

· 
Posted: 14.03.2021  ·  #3
i could be corrected but i think i saw some1 who knows better then me. posting that if you buy a 1991 or older the vrt is 200 as its now vintage, i also saw somewhere that the duty is 10%,again i am not sure but i wanted you to get an answer :)
if sourced in NI and can prove if asked that it was in NI before 1 jan 21,then only the vrt based on 13.5% based on what they say its worth here,hope that helps and i am sure if its all wrong somebody here will correct it, best of luck with your search.Peter.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2021  ·  #4
Quote by Daffysparks

Since January 1st. MH from British mainland will have vrt at 13.3%, vat at 23%, and customs duty of 10%.

So does that mean a canny NI dealer/ entrepreneur could source GB based MHs for us Southerners and we only pay the vrt ?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2021  ·  #5
They must prove that they have paid the vat coming in from Britain afaik. There was a bit of a loophole in first week or two, but it has been closed now

Liked by: The Rambler

Kya Richards
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #6
Thanks guys... I would of course prefer to go to NI than take the ferry. The prices have terrified me since I started exploring the idea. Yours, Kya

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #7
Alternatively, you could look for MHs in the continent. A bit more hussle and most likely left hand drive but, it's an option if you're tied on money.

I would 100% agree that prices here are pretty nuts, but at the same time I've seen the same vans for sale for months.

Maybe if you go out to check one that interest you and make a reasonable offer, you might get it. What won't work for sure is a 50% of asking price over the phone which is what most folks try to do in my experience.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #8
Not wishing to compare Irish prices to around where I live but prices have gone nuts around here, on a UK forum a few examples of folks giving up as sites are full and getting more for their van than they paid for it when they bought it years ago.
The village garage does all the servicing for two of the lower end Motorhome dealers around here and even they have commented that the sales people all seem to have increased the prices and not only that they cannot get enough to meet demand.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #9
The old favourite mobile.de is also showing increased pricing, I think the phenomenon is Europe wide thanks to Covid-19.
In the current price-gouging climate importing any foreign purchase now seem to be an unattractive proposition due to our rip off VRT

Liked by: eirebus, Harvey

Manus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2021  ·  #10
Hi, I am new to this forum, I am trying to import as well. Is it not the case that you buy in the UK now without VAT?

On Website https://fexco.com/fexco/news/i…o-ireland/ it says following:

Form VAT411 will also need to be completed and is a declaration that the buyer isn’t liable for VAT in the UK but will pay the VAT due in the destination state (see point on VAT above).

So would that mean you have to take 20% of the sales price and then pay 23% on import to Ireland?

Any feedback welcome

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2021  ·  #11
Quote by Manus

Hi, I am new to this forum, I am trying to import as well. Is it not the case that you buy in the UK now without VAT?

On Website https://fexco.com/fexco/news/i…o-ireland/ it says following:

Form VAT411 will also need to be completed and is a declaration that the buyer isn’t liable for VAT in the UK but will pay the VAT due in the destination state (see point on VAT above).

So would that mean you have to take 20% of the sales price and then pay 23% on import to Ireland?

Any feedback welcome

When I was buying mine (new) back in 2005 I imported from the UK VAT Free and paid the Irish VAT when doing the VRT, in those days you dealt with the same customs office for both.

Liked by: weescudo

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2021  ·  #12
It only works on new vehicles as the dealers only pay VAT on the profit of used vehicles not on the whole price.

Liked by: baguette

nkungwe
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2021  ·  #13
Hi - I’m looking to import from UK. - a 2010 Nugget , in Jan 2022 .Just for clarity ,Can anyone confirm the new taxes are - in this order :
Duty 10%
VAT 23 % - is that only on the VRT Duty amount ?
VRT - 13.3% - is that on the whole amount ? OMSP + Duty + VAT .

Eye-watering really ….

Liked by: Ally, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2021  ·  #14
Quote by nkungwe

Hi - I’m looking to import from UK. - a 2010 Nugget , in Jan 2022 .Just for clarity ,Can anyone confirm the new taxes are - in this order :
Duty 10%

Eye-watering really ….

Can't help on the first two, but the VRT is charged on a notional value on the Irish market,applied by the powers that Be, Not on anything you pay,

According to below it would appear to go, Duty, VAT, and then VRT.
( Venal Ripoff Tax)

From the Revenue website.
How to calculate what you owe when buying goods online from outside the EU
Customs Duty
The customs value on which Customs Duty is calculated is the cost of the goods plus:

transport (including postage)
any insurance
and
any handling charges
to deliver the goods to the EU.

The rate of Customs Duty that applies depends on the goods you import. You can find all the rates in the TARIC database.

VAT
VAT is payable on goods at the rate that would apply if they were bought in Ireland. The value of the goods for calculating the VAT is the customs value (described above) plus:

any duty or other tax (excluding VAT) payable
and
any transport, insurance or handling costs after the goods arrive in the EU.

insider
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2021  ·  #15
I think the duty and VAT are on the invoice amount for the van - you show the invoice and voila. The VRT is based on the open market selling price - essentially it's based on fairy dust - what the revenue judge the van would sell for on the Irish market - they then slap on 13odd% onto that.

Quote by nkungwe

Duty 10%

Eye-watering really ….

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #16
I am trying to put together a detailed list of what is actually required to Import a motorhome. or Campervan, to the ROI. in the last six months or so, I'm looking for an update on the procedure and costs,? I would like actual figures. Also if anyone has done it the other way round, from ROI. I can put that together as well.
No 1. anyone imported a second hand Motorhome from the UK into the ROI.?
No 2. anyone importing one From NI, with a UK reg, to the ROI.?
No 3. anyone Imported one from NI, with an NI reg ?
No 4. imported a new one of either, without UK or Ni plates.?
I understand some won't want to publish details on an open Forum, so please PM me and I can get the details that way.
I don't want a list of Government web sites, I'm fed up with websites saying one thing ,and then people dealing with it ,having completely different guidelines,

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #17
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by Daffysparks

So does that mean a canny NI dealer/ entrepreneur could source GB based MHs for us Southerners and we only pay the vrt ?

No, the MH must be first registered in NI

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #18

A new Motorhome bought new, or any vehicle bought new, will be on export plates issued in the selling country.
Unless exported on a transporter.

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #19
Quote by baguette

A new Motorhome bought new, or any vehicle bought new, will be on export plates issued in the selling country.
Unless exported on a transporter.

I did thing that, but would it be treated in any different way.?

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #20
Quote by sprinter

I am trying to put together a detailed list of what is actually required to Import a motorhome. or Campervan, to the ROI. in the last six months or so, I'm looking for an update on the procedure and costs,? I would like actual figures. Also if anyone has done it the other way round, from ROI. I can put that together as well.
No 1. anyone imported a second hand Motorhome from the UK into the ROI.?
No 2. anyone importing one From NI, with a UK reg, to the ROI.?
No 3. anyone Imported one from NI, with an NI reg ?
I understand some won't want to publish details on an open Forum, so please PM me and I can get the details that way.
I don't want a list of Government web sites, I'm fed up with websites saying one thing ,and then people dealing with it ,having completely different guidelines,

Second hand import UK
Customs duty of 10% of the receipt/invoice. If it’s a private sale, bank transfer record. It’s also supposed to include costs of insurance/transport so need ferry booking and receipt.
On this new figure, 23% Vat is added.
To do all this book ferry, make payment, and hire a customs agent (customs won’t deal with joe public) if you can get one to do it (when ringing around say car initially). They do all the import forms and email them to you, you need the ref numbers. Pay for services of said customs agent, varies by agent but budget roughly €150

On arrival in the country make yourself known to customs, quote ref numbers (and any extra alcohol/tobacco on board 😜). If it’s clear, drive on. If not, off to the customs office.

Then to VRT. Book appointment within 7 days of arrival at NCT centre (not all of them do it). At appointment they inspect the vehicle and will want to see the VIN number where it is stamped into the chassis (labels/plates on front cross member over radiator will not suffice). Photos taken and sent off to Revenue.
They will send their assessment of what VRT is owed by text or email. NCT guy said up to 5 working days before they get back. I was told today it could be up to fifteen working days.
When the bad news arrives, back to NCT centre to pony up.
Get registration number, and have new plates on the motor within three days, some NCT centres can make plates.

You have 30 days from arrival to complete the above.

Searching for instructions online is maddening. I called to NCT centre and spoke to VRT guy who was very helpful. Also spoke to revenue on the phone, also helpful.

Vintage is 30 years old and applies to motorhomes, €200 for VrT, other taxes levied duties whatever still apply.

UK MOT is not transferable to CVRT.

Vehicle must be weighed at an official weighbridge and cert will be provided.

Next is get the vehicle passed the CVRT.

Road tax cannot be done online. Form RF100 must be filled in, and brought to a motor tax office with the CVRT and weight certs.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.