Full Member - Likes the Underworld film series
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Bloodlands BBC Crime Drama Series

· 
Posted: 06.03.2021  ·  #1
BLOODLANDS Film location

For those of you interested in the Bloodlands BBC crime Drama Series which screens on Sunday Evenings, some detective work I’ve put together on the film locations, should you be interested in going out and about when restrictions ease.

Firstly like all productions there appears to have been an extensive use of computer special effects, with the ‘Body Island’ in particular inserted into a location shoot where it isn’t actually located. What I mean by that is the island on which the bodies are found is quite a distance away off shore from other islands and main land, and in the series, Brannick and McGovern are seen standing on a hillside looking towards the island with the farm in the background, but in reality that island is faked.

Photos to follow from where I have gathered up the evidence from local knowledge.

By coincidence I am familiar with ‘Brannick’s House’ which had a private aircraft landing strip on the grassy expanse in front of the house, and a hanger can still be seen in the Northern Corner on Google Maps. The runway was across the grass roughly South West to North East (now grass too long for a landing strip), and I had it in mind as an emergency field for my own aircraft when in that area. It’s now two holiday homes. It consists of two small semi-detached apartments adapted from the original house. Brannick is seen in a shot from outside looking out the window. All remaining shots of him in the house are believed to be studio sets.

Some clues are given to the locations.

Brannicks House

What Tom Brannick sees from the windows.

What Google shows from the jetty.

A significant difference in the scale of the landscape.

The Moving Island

This map features briefly in the second episode which has been faked and altered. It shows Mahee Island, but a section of it is missing. Additionally the ‘body island’ has been moved to beside Cross Island when in fact it isn’t anywhere near there. Some additional islands have been added where they are really only very small areas of ground exposed. Note the shape of the body island in the faked map

Missing section of the road to the golf club and the island that doesn’t exist at this location. (Inserted between the two existing islands).

Shots taken from the island when searching for the bodies pick up this island, but the background is deliberately kept low to allow the farm location to be a believable 800 yards (roughly a half mile away).

Note this is South of Whiterock and North of Ringhaddy. Mahee Island is North of this area by about 5 miles.

The Changing Farm

So where was the witness farm, and it’s relation geographically to the island. Again this is interesting. In the first sighting of the farm in the first episode you see a car driving across a short causeway and as the shot pans the car disappears from view, to the right you see a wind turbine and farm buildings on a hillside.

That is because that farm is here on Reagh Island, and the causeway is the short ridgeway between Mahee Island near the golf club and is the road back towards Comber. The car stops out of shot, or it would appear in the scene (shot from a boat or perhaps long telephoto from the opposite shore) travelling left to right along the road below the farm on the water’s edge.

Here it is from the road.

And here is what you actually see from the farm hillside looking out to Strangford Lough. There is an island out there. It’s the one off the Northern corner of Mahee Island and it’s got several tall trees on it. Ideal though to drop the body island into the shot using a computer and make it closer and appear about 800 yards away.

The following day in the drama they’re out onto the island. Because water is involved it’s very easy to blend different locations together using the water as the border.

Tom turns round to look at the farm before planting the spade in the ground.

Oops something not right here. They were standing parallel to the hedge on the right in the photo above looking out to the island, but now the farm is almost side on.

This was probably to highlight the point that he’s digging in the wrong place, however the angle is too extreme, and would move the island to the shore of the golf course for that view to be possible.

A short time later, McGovern realises there is another tree and asks Birdy, “What do you see?”

This is the next immediate shot of the farm shown on screen. So what do you see lol?

Erm, Only three Chimney stacks now and a third roof skylight in the building closest to the wind turbine perhaps? Wow that’s quick work while all that digging was going on.

So no wonder you have trouble actually tying down views you have seen in real life with the drama series. They are composites, usually with computer adjustments. Even the short video sequences on screen can be filmed in different places for those few seconds of shot, and taken months apart or even longer, as is evident with the changing farm shown here.

Ballyclare former Police Station was used for the External Police Station scenes and the internal police station scenes were created actually inside the Masonic Hall in Rosemary Street Belfast. The Botanic Gardens, Queen’s University, Strangford Harbour, The Docklands, and The Mournes all feature among the filming set locations.

It’s fiction in more ways that just the story. It’s edge of the seat viewing, and be prepared for some major plot twists.

Photo credits BBC Bloodlands Drama Series & Google Maps

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Bloodlands BBC Crime Drama Series

· 
Posted: 06.03.2021  ·  #2
Cracking info, there was also roughly a weeks worth of filming done around Dundrod as well as on separate occasions vehicle stunts being practised prior to filming at the Nutts Corner Sunday market site.

Have watched the first episode but need to play catch up

Viktor
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2021  ·  #3
Most of the actual film locations are briefly mentioned online except they are not actually tied down geographically, (perhaps for privacy reasons). I would expect that the locations will become known quite quickly as local people identify them.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2021  ·  #4
Great info. My boys had come up with the same conclusions. Next time we can get on the water, it will be a visit to ‘body Island’. Think we spend more time spotting the locations, than following the story.

Viktor
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.03.2021  ·  #5
It’s a difficult enough island to get to, so I’d expect someone to come up with organised tours past and around the island with a suitable boat or boats. The Enniskeen Hotel on the Bryansford Road, Newcastle is used as the kidnap hotel.

Viktor
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2021  ·  #6
Ahead of the final episode- any theories as to who Goliath is?

Personally I think the obvious lead characters are unlikely, and I suspect we haven’t seen Goliath just yet or at least maybe in one of the background characters. I doubt the theory that Emma Brannick is Goliath is correct either. I think she might be alive but simply hiding to protect her daughter as her cover was blown as the story suggests. I don’t think she was having an affair as the owl pendant has an E scratched on it and not engraved, but that suggests that Goliath knew the Brannicks well enough to know about that pendant, and when Emma went missing, planted the owl pendant to put suspicion on the missing Emma in the event that the bodies were ever discovered.

I do think the reason for the story kicking off was Tori Matthews wanting to find out who killed her father for her mother’s benefit as she was ill in the care home and wants answers before her ill mother dies.

So why did Tom Brannick shoot Adam Corry?

The trigger seemed to be when he suggested that his brother was having an affair with Emma. Brannick asked him to stop. I think he was shot partly by Brannick raging at the suggestion and that he didn’t want that accusation coming out and destroying his daughter’s mental heath. I think the suggestion thrown in about a Brannick having his brother killed by Goliath, and the accusation of being Goliath was just padding by the writer before the fatal shot. I think the motive for the shooting by Tom Brannick was already established at that point.

My personal opinion is that Goliath is dead and was in fact David Corry. Twomey knew about the island, did go out there 20 years ago and found the bodies, but kept it quiet because of the Peace Process . He later found out his wife was having the affair with David Corry, shot him, planted the owl pendant and buried him on top of the other bodies. I’m not sure if Twomey knew he was Goliath, but I think that is what is going to come out at the end - that David Corry was Goliath all along.

Liked by: Ally

Viktor
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2021  ·  #7
So...... Onwards to Series Two. Still questions unanswered.

Viktor
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Tori Matthew’s House

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #8
Tori Matthew’s House Film Location

The house is located on the Trassey Road, off the Bryansford Road, near Bryansford Newcastle not far from The Trassey Car Park, a favoured parking spot for walkers entering the Mournes for walks.
The actual address is 76 Trassey Road.

In the photographs you are looking North roughly in the direction of Ballinahinch.

mmgr]

Picture Credits BBC Bloodlands Crime Drama Series and Google Maps

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #9
@Viktor

Bloody good to see you back on the forums after all these years, things have changed a lot around here but as you can see we are alive and well and as popular as ever, despite that horrible social media thing called facebook ;)

I only do techie stuff on here now, so not here as often.

Keep safe, you know where I am if you fancy a "wee cup of tea" ;)

Ally

Viktor
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Tori Matthew’s Murder

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #10
Tori Mathews Murder Film Location

Tori Mathews murder was committed on the shores of Castleward at the boathouse not far from the Game of Thrones Film Location for Winterfell.

Viktor
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #11
Hi Ally. I will make that happen when these restrictions ease. Until then.

Liked by: Ally

Viktor
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #12
Ok people in the words of a certain TV weatherman, “That’s you up to date”. See you on the Bloodlands Tour!

Liked by: Ally, Mark&Wendy

Krispyjet
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.03.2021  ·  #13
Haven't seen this but will sure to check it out.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.