hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

diesel heater

· 
Posted: 04.02.2021  ·  #1
Well bit the bullet and fitted a derv heater to the van whoooo what a difference , the heat is amazing the only dislike is the ticking from the pump i put it in a box with foam but you can still here it am looking for a different one if i can find one, took me a week as i had to make the wiring loom longer I'm using the tank that came with the unit but i will be feeding it till the van tank will post some photos when i get the chance it cost £85 i think its money well spent ,I was looking a a unit that you can heat your water form it

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: diesel heater

· 
Posted: 04.02.2021  ·  #2
dubbrin
My Motorhome: 2002 Knaus Suntraveller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato II 2.8JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2021  ·  #3
Are diesel heaters generally better than gas? More output in terms of heat or airflow or both?

Is it just more convenient to be filling up on diesel at the put and not worry about gas? Is the tank under the floor between the chassis rails?

Sorry for the Q's, just curious!

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2021  ·  #4
You can have a separate tank fitted below the floor or can use the existing vehicle tank.

If using the existing tank DONT tie into the existing supply to the engine, fit a separate connection to the tank such that it reaches only the top two thirds of the tank. You don’t want the heater to leave you unable to start the engine due to no fuel.

Liked by: dubbrin, eirebus, panda

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2021  ·  #5
Quote by dubbrin

Are diesel heaters generally better than gas? More output in terms of heat or airflow or both?

Is it just more convenient to be filling up on diesel at the put and not worry about gas? Is the tank under the floor between the chassis rails?

They have a very good forced airflow and heat really well.
They tend to be noisy if fitted in the living area but fitting in an area that is enclosed helps a lot.
The ‘knock’ as Robert is experiencing can be greatly reduced by fitting the damper on the pump.
They are easily programmable and work well.
Downsides are they are power hungry, especially on startup and shutdown as they deploy a heating plug that draws a lot of current coupled to the fan that runs hard until temperature goal is reached..... once up to temp it’s current draw is quite low.
They do come with a tank but I’ve fitted them to the vehicle tank as @kabundi stated above.

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2021  ·  #6
Quote by dubbrin

In fact, diesel heaters give the sensation that hotter air comes out of the vents but the Kilocalories are kilocalories, whether they come from gas or diesel.
Since 2008 I have had a Webasto Dual Top (combined heater/boiler) and since 2020 a Truma Combi 6D-E with its CP-Plus control panel.
I would not go back to gas for any reason, it is too convenient not to have to depend on gas, an 11kg cylinder lasts me almost a year.

The only trick is to turn it on once a month for about twenty minutes. I actually do it once every two.

As for the fuel tank, someone has already answered.

Max

Liked by: hector2015

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2021  ·  #7
HAving only fitted mine I have to agree with mtravel I wouldn’t go back to gas I’ve been running mine now for about 4 days have only used a half a cup of derv I’ve been turning it on of setting the timer generally messing about trying to get the best setting ,as John says it does use a bit of batt power but not as much as I was lead to believe so today I took the van of mains put the meter on the batts and started it up , the solar panal was reading 13.50 volts the lesure batts where showing 13.80 volts ,started the heater up voltage on the batts dropped to 12 .40 solar panel dropped to 12.10 after a min or two and the heater settled in the voltage when back to 13.75 volts if that makes sense and I’m getting my volts correct,I don’t know how it would work without a solar panal ,but I’m very happy with it ,it’s running now and sitting on 2 ie the setting go from 1-6 and the temp is a nice 15 degrees, I still haven’t got all the pipe work connected as yet as I’m printing of t ‘s y and 45% connections on my printer ,I’m also going to connect the gas heater ducting Ito the system just in case as before I’ll post photos when I finish 👍

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

diesel heater

· 
Posted: 05.02.2021  ·  #8
Quote by JJF

Quote by dubbrin

They tend to be noisy if fitted in the living area but fitting in an area that is enclosed helps a lot.
The ‘knock’ as Robert is experiencing can be greatly reduced by fitting the damper on the pump.
Downsides are they are power hungry, especially on startup and shutdown as they deploy a heating plug that draws a lot of current coupled to the fan that runs hard until temperature goal is reached..... once up to temp it’s current draw is quite low.
They do come with a tank but I’ve fitted them to the vehicle tank as @kabundi stated above.

Jon, can they be run on the go, so as the big current draw is when your driving the vehicle?

bigfoot bair
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 680 starline
Base Vehicle: 2.7 Mercedes 150 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2021  ·  #9
Fitted one a few weeks ago i think it's a great job hang your pump on a cable tie don't
fix it with what comes in the box. You will still here it at start-up before the heater comes on.

Liked by: hector2015, TommyS

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2021  ·  #10
Quote by sprinter

Quote by JJF

Quote by dubbrin

Jon, can they be run on the go, so as the big current draw is when your driving the vehicle?

Martin,
I should think it would be OK to run when moving as the inlet air is drawn in and the exhaust is blown out...... the draw is about 5amp on initial startup (2-3 mins) and on shutdown (1.5-2 mins), on fast run to get up to temp can be 3 amp, and on maintenance running when temp goal is reached the draw is about 1.5 amps.

Value for money they’re fantastic.

Liked by: big LIam, sprinter

big LIam
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: d55 Dreamer Veronica
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2021  ·  #11
I fitted a Eberspatcher took the fuel tank out? drilled a hole in the tank unit fitted a stack pipe, made sure it was cut to a 1/4 above the bottom of the tank in case it drained the tank but works well great addition to the van

Liked by: eirebus, fairytreehouse, JJF, panda, sprinter, +deleted user

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #12
WAs under the van this morning looking at the derv tank for to link my derv heater in but the tank is up tight to the floor so not much hope of putting it in the top but the tank has large round edges I was wondering is it possible to put it in at a small angle the hole only needs to be about 4mm to get the pipe in and then it’s held in with 3 screws which will screw direct to the plastic tank with a bit of sealant any thoughts anybody

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #13
Could you not tap into the main feed line inside the engine bay? It would be easier and less chance of hassle than another hole in the fuel tank.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #14
Not advised as the pump will draw fuel from going to the van it must have its own feed ,but thinking about it and all the fuel it uses I might just keep using the 10 litre tank with red in it much cheaper

Liked by: eirebus

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #15
Quote by hillton9

Not advised as the pump will draw fuel from going to the van it must have its own feed ,but thinking about it and all the fuel it uses I might just keep using the 10 litre tank with red in it much cheaper

Or kerosene (heating oil)

Liked by: roadrunner

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #16
Any body got link to reliable diesel heater ?
What to avoid or what to go for?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

diesel heater

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #17
Quote by hillton9

WAs under the van this morning looking at the derv tank for to link my derv heater in but the tank is up tight to the floor so not much hope of putting it in the top but the tank has large round edges I was wondering is it possible to put it in at a small angle the hole only needs to be about 4mm to get the pipe in and then it’s held in with 3 screws which will screw direct to the plastic tank with a bit of sealant any thoughts anybody

Robert, How about something like a truck washer bottle or rad expansion tank or even an add blue tank fitted on the wall of the gas locker or garage ?

big LIam
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: d55 Dreamer Veronica
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2021  ·  #18
Drop the tank out remove the tank sender unit .
Fit a stack pipe you’ll have to put your hand inside the tank to put the brass nut on to the stack pipe measure the tank cut the stack pip to length so that it is a 1/4 above the bottom of the tank because it would drain the tank amazon uk Eberspatcher acc for for the pip

Liked by: +deleted user

hastings
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2021  ·  #19
Has anyone been parked next to a motorhome or camper left idling? The fumes become evident in our motorhome fairly quickly. So why anyone feels it's their right to install a diesel heater from an unregulated manufacturer which consumes near enough the same amount of fuel as an idling diesel vehicle is truly baffling to me. Before anyone starts to justify the emissions (even when compared to natural gas), do that maths, you don't get less emissions from burning the same amount of diesel fuel, especially when there's no approved filtration methods built into the exhaust. Self-centered and selfish!

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2021  ·  #20
Robert, can you access the sender/pump unit via floor hatch in your van?
There isn’t so much clearance room required for a stand pipe at the top.
I also keep a different standpipe that you do not need inner tank access to fit, it’s fitted to the top of the tank via a 14mm hole drilled with a cone drill and a special grommet and press in fitting to install. Can send you one if needed.
From experience it’s good to have if fed from the main tank, saves messy diesel spills/smells in your garage and the benefit of the ability to fill it very easily. Yes, more expensive diesel used for the heater, but the thing uses so little anyway and the area it heats is relatively small it’s usually an acceptable trade off.

Liked by: big LIam

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2021  ·  #21
Quote by hastings

Has anyone been parked next to a motorhome or camper left idling? The fumes become evident in our motorhome fairly quickly. So why anyone feels it's their right to install a diesel heater from an unregulated manufacturer which consumes near enough the same amount of fuel as an idling diesel vehicle is truly baffling to me. Before anyone starts to justify the emissions (even when compared to natural gas), do that maths, you don't get less emissions from burning the same amount of diesel fuel, especially when there's no approved filtration methods built into the exhaust. Self-centered and selfish!

There seems to be a shift by manufacturers to install diesel powered heaters into vans now instead of the traditional gas powered ones, these are supplied by Truma etc, so you may have to get used to the fumes lol

Liked by: eirebus, JJF

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2021  ·  #22
And they run on red or green (depending were ever you’re from)

Liked by: JJF

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2021  ·  #23
Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2021  ·  #24
I have no experience of them, but I suppose the fumes and noise ?? Could be an issue for the neighbours. How noisy are they and how much fumes do they emit.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2021  ·  #25
Don’t have one but seen one working and they are very quiet just a small hum from the fan, in fact I would go as far as saying quieter than the Truma system I had in my last van, and no noticeable fumes from the exhaust

Liked by: JJF, ntg, +deleted user

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2021  ·  #26
Quote by Daffysparks

I have no experience of them, but I suppose the fumes and noise ?? Could be an issue for the neighbours. How noisy are they and how much fumes do they emit.

I had a webasto system and it was quiet and no smell

Liked by: JJF, +deleted user

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2021  ·  #27
I’ve fitted loads of them.
No noisier than the factory fitted items and I observe no undue fumes.
I suppose an improper diy fitment with poor air supply and venting may cause a combustion issue.

Liked by: eirebus, ntg, +deleted user

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2021  ·  #28
Quote by JJF

Quote by relay racer

And they run on red or green (depending were ever you’re from)

So does the heaters 😉🤫

Jeez just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse these days ,I was nearly running on nothing never mind red or green,sitting in the van trying to salvage some 50th birthday memories and just realised the off licenses closed at 8 o’clock here, honestly having to go to the brothers house to scrounge beer isn’t good , get this s@@t over

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2021  ·  #29
Quote by hastings

Many times I have been parked next to a camper that had its engine running and never had a problem, however if someone is running on alternative fuel then there will be fumes.
Not all campers are running on DERV so it surely is wrong to tar everyone with the same brush.

hastings
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2021  ·  #30
Quote by the fat controller

Quote by hastings

There seems to be a shift by manufacturers to install diesel powered heaters into vans now instead of the traditional gas powered ones, these are supplied by Truma etc, so you may have to get used to the fumes lol

Yeah, absolutely! Every new motorhome I've looked at recently has the Truma Combi 6DE installed as standard. #Sarcasm.
I would stake a large wager on there being huge differences in the regulations Truma have to abide by compared to the cheap knockoffs offered on the various auction websites. Do what you will, but just know there are others around you that do feel the effects, even if you don't.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2021  ·  #31
As these heaters are only used in winter, I don't understand how the smell gets into your van, I've never noticed a smell off one when walking past outside, let alone inside my van

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2021  ·  #32
The one I fitted is quieter than running the van engine as others have said no smell I’d rather be parked beside someone with a derv heater than someone with a generator,now that’s noise and fumes also the derv heater is for wintering at my home as the van is used very little over the winter ,also the truma gas heater puts out more noise than the derv both inside and outside ,swi5ch on your gas heater and stand beside the outlet ,what I will do when the wind dies down I’ll put my meter at both and tell you the difference ,I still stick by fitting the derv heater ,as far as cost I would use more gas and electric running the heating in the van which costs more than the derv ,if you go down the road of pollution why have a big derv drinking Motorhome that only does 25/30 miles to the gallon why have home central heating which is running 24/7 in this cold weather,yep I agree with trying to save the planet no one more so than me ,but I don’t think burning 10 litres of derv every 3 weeks is any worse than putting on your central heating every day

Liked by: eirebus

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2021  ·  #33
Could you run the diesel heater from a generator 🤔😙

Liked by: TommyS

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2021  ·  #34
hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Derv heater

· 
Posted: 15.02.2021  ·  #35

as promised these are the readings between a derv heater and the gas heater as you can see there are two photos of each reading ,the first two are the derv heater inside the van the next two are the gas the next are the gas at the outlet after that are the derv under the van and the last two are the van engine running as you can see the derv heater is quieter inside the van and just as quiet on the outside in fact a lot quieter than the van engine,would love to see what a generator puts out ,so I think this will justify anyone putting a derv heater into their van

fairytreehouse
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2021  ·  #36
Robert
Did you connect the heat vents into the existing duct throughout the rest of the van or did you run a separate duct etc

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2021  ·  #37
As in a previous post my generator maxed out at 75db 6 feet away from it

Liked by: sprinter

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2021  ·  #38
Yes I went into the existing duct they supply a good long piece of metal ducting which I then went into a y connection which I then tee of to go else where in the van all the heat is going down the passenger side and I’m going to keep the right side for the gas heater so I can run one or the other ,the derv heater puts out some heat even at its lowest setting I was really worried about the heat of the unit but even running at high temperature you can still put your hand on it but you will never need to run it at full belt without putting on the swimming trunks and getting the sun tan lotion out 😂😅 will put up more photos soon as I’ve as much finished the install

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

diesel heater

· 
Posted: 16.02.2021  ·  #39
Quote by hillton9

putting on the swimming trunks and getting the sun tan lotion out 😂😅 will put up more photos soon as I’ve as much finished the install

No Robert Please,please,please don't. there are some on here have a delicate constitutions and the sight of you in in Speedo's and a smile would be just too much. >_<

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.02.2021  ·  #40
Has anyone come across an electric heater that you could splice into the heating ducts in motorhomes. I'm thinking something the shape of the diesel heaters talked about here

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.