reillyom
My Motorhome: 1997 Hymer CS644
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5
Subject:

Van recommendations for Coachbuilt camper

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #1
Hi,

I am currently looking for coachbuilt camper to suit a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) within a €15 -€20k budget and am wondering on what make of van I should be looking for in terms of reliability and maintenance overhead. I know this can be a subjective topic and it will mostly depend on how well the van has been maintained regardless of make/model but any thoughts/recommendations would be most welcome.

Regards,
Mick

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: Van recommendations for Coachbuilt camper

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #2
The thing that influenced my last purchase was longevity. When I looked around, the one make of older vans that I saw in numbers was Hymer. They seemed to outnumber any other brand although they tended to be A class. Whilst build quality can vary over the years, most Hymer owners seem to believe that vans in the 1990s have a very solid quality about them.

This may tie in with your budget, but as you seem to be aware, ensure any van you are interested in exists. Do not buy sight unseen, particularly with older vans were rust, dampness and engine issues may need to be considered.

Good luck with your search, take your time and don’t be afraid to wait for the right van.

Davy

Liked by: reillyom

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #3
Quote by reillyom

Hi,

I am currently looking for coachbuilt camper to suit a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) within a €15 -€20k budget and am wondering on what make of van I should be looking for in terms of reliability and maintenance overhead. I know this can be a subjective topic and it will mostly depend on how well the van has been maintained regardless of make/model but any thoughts/recommendations would be most welcome.

Regards,
Mick

You sort off answered your own question mick, but when I started looking for a camper the one I bought was probably the last one I would look for, but we were on a tight budget and wanted to get on the road to do a bit of travelling about,,when you get inside and like it you’ll probably find the base vehicle becomes a little less important, good luck looking about (don’t know y I quoted that response shuda just answered) mmm lockdown

Liked by: CHAUSSON, reillyom

dubbrin
My Motorhome: 2002 Knaus Suntraveller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato II 2.8JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #4
Davy's point is a good one, lots around! I bought a Knaus Suntraveller on a Ductao 244 2.8jtd base last year. It's th 5/6 berth model. They seem well built and the Fiat engine/mechanicals were getting OK reports. (Others on here might disagree) but I think it's a sound move once the typical checks are all done and OK. I could point out any number of potential and actual concerns now that I've had it for a while but that's to be expected. You'll always know when one has been minded & stored indoors. No broken clips or scraps/dents etc.

If you can, look at as many as you can as well. Maybe even ones that you're only remotely interested in. A 'pro's vs cons' list in your hand each time helps. As does a list of things to check when you're there looking at it. I found you might gloss over some things when you're in someone's yard or garage and they're standing by 'giving you time to look at it'... I'm sure you'll find a check list here, or get help compiling one. You're either the person who will walk away when too many things on the list fail, or the kind of person who'll use it to bargain down and fix them yourself.

reillyom
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #5
Thanks for all the responses folks, much appreciated. Will definitely take my time and try check out as much as possible in advance. The current travel restrictions make that tricky and I assume that once it opens up again demand will soar rapidly as people try and get out on the road ...it'll be a sellers market no doubt! Has anyone found that there has been a spike in prices since last year due to the demand brought about by covid and foreign travel restrictions?

petereire
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: autoquest 270
Base Vehicle: Talbot express
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #6
when you pick the 1 you want I would check the reviews on u tube, always fab info :)

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #7
A good starting place to think about first is the layout that suits best and work from there to help narrow your choice down. Even the best van will annoy you after a while if the layout is not suitable.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Van recommendations for Coachbuilt camper

· 
Posted: 04.02.2021  ·  #8
To save yourself a lot of unnecessary flicking trough lots of pohtos, get to know the one that is good for you. two rear bunks or twin beds with an overhead at front, The last thing you need is to have to make up beds from the lounge area.
A lot of A class 's have this.
Some B class's. ( Eura mobile have )
Things to look out for from the outside.
You dont want one with the door at the very back, usually it will have the kitchen across the rear.
Two small windows one above the other on the rear side.( bunks )
Same over drivers cab each side drop down or fixed front bed (B class )
with two Half adults it will probably need to be over 6 mtr. so think where is it going to live when not on the road?
Awning with sides or driveaway awning for outside living , bike rack? garage space or underfloor storage, for the stuff.
Always look for the payload gross weight - actual weight. ( you, wife, children, water, Food ,Stuff Stuff Stuff and more Stuff.= payload.
If you have or can get a truck licence it may make it easier.
Good luck.

reillyom
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #9
Thanks again for all the advice folks. We almost have our desired layout nailed bit are a small bit torn between whether to go for 2 bunks or a u-lounge at the back. Another one I know that is completely subjective but based on your own experiences would you have any thoughts on this? We're veering slightly more towards the u-lounge for the additional living space it will give us... with 2 teenagers that might by badly needed :-) ...but bunks would definitely be easier in relation to not having to make up beds every night..

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #10
I think that without a doubt you should go for the U shaped lounge. Our first van (and all of our caravans before that) had a U shaped lounge that made up into 2 singles or a huge double. The van was 7 metres long with 6 metres (approx) usable space. It effectively created 2 large areas of seating. U shaped lounge and swivel seats at front.

Our current van, 7 metres, has an island bed with (as you move forward) a toilet on one side and a shower on the other. After allowing for kitchen and fridge we have a dinette with the 2 swivel seats and a bench seat as usable leisure space. Adequate for the two of us and a conscious choice of layout to suit our needs, but I would hate to see 4 adults trying to spend time around the table on a wet or several wet days. Fine if you intend to use the van extensively in good weather climates or carry a pup tent, but that has its limitations.

Your layout may be a bit different as you only mention the rear of the van but I imagine the same broad picture prevails.

Davy

Liked by: Europa, reillyom

tmjc!
Craic'er
My Motorhome: None currently🥲
Base Vehicle: Between Vehicles
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #11
Bunks aren’t a bad design either. Flip one up and instant garage space. Do not rush it when time permits there is no substitute for physically going to see each layout.

Liked by: reillyom, sprinter

reillyom
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2021  ·  #12
A 1998 Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD Swift Royale turned up this eve for a decent price and close enough to home so I'm going to check it out tomorrow. It has a U shaped lounge also so is ticking a lot of the boxes. Fingers crossed..

Liked by: Davy

Mull
My Motorhome: Self build conversion
Base Vehicle: Renault Master lwb van
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2021  ·  #13
Hi Mick,
While the layout of your van is important because it must work for you and your family , it is also important to look into the mechanical side. Traditional if a van does not get much use in any one year it may not have got its annual service every year. Some people know the importance of an oil + filter change at least every 12 months rather than looking at putting up the mileage that the next service may have been schedule for because it could take a few years . Vans that are parked up for long periods of time between uses without proper care and maintenance can shorten the lifespan of the engine especially when the vehicle is older.
Try get as much service history for any potential van, if there is lots of paperwork and receipts then it will show that it was looked after by it’s previous owners and it will give you more confidence in buying a van that it wasn’t neglected. There are also other things like habitation, gas etc that need checking annually. Your budget is going to allow you to look at old vans so ensure there is a good paper trail and that it’s current or latest history is as up to date as possible. As previously suggested Google the model and check it’s reliability. I would like to see all services have been done within the last few weeks by a reputable authorised dealer that has experience with Motorhome/campervan. Up to date checks will expose all problems so if a van does not have a current check done tell the seller you need it done before you hand over your money. If they hesitate they may be hiding something.

I am sure that if you ask the good people on Motorhomecraic advice before you seal a deal, the advice you will get will help you reduce the risk of buying trouble. I like you are new to this site but the advice I have been given so far is solid from members that have huge experience. I am delighted to be a member because of this.

Good hunting Mick.

Liked by: Davy, ntg, petereire, reillyom

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.