PDK
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner A647
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

Barleycove

· 
Posted: 01.02.2021  ·  #1
Hi guys, just sent an email to barleycove camping to make a 2 night booking for June as we couldn't get in there last year, they have replied saying it is very unlikely that they will be taking bookings for short stays 😒, so just wondering if any of you can recommend somewhere safe to overnight to visit mizen head, van is 7.5 meters long with a saggy bottom 😀

Daffysparks

Subject:

Re: Barleycove

· 
Posted: 01.02.2021  ·  #2
PDK
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2021  ·  #3
Thankyou, does it get super busy, couldn't stand the lunacy of last summers post lockdown rush 🙉

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2021  ·  #4
It might be busy during the day, but it generally empties out at night. It is quite remote, so while there may be a few other Motorhomes there, it should be quiet otherwise. As I said , it’s a big car park. Loads of room.

Liked by: PDK

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2021  ·  #5
West Lodge Hotel in Bantry has a large motorhome parking area €10 per night, services but no ehu. Shortish stroll to the town.

PDK
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2021  ·  #6
Thanks for recommendation We've stayed in Bantry before, we were hoping to visit mizen head this year as we couldn't get near it last year, trying to get to places we haven't been before this year 🤞

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2021  ·  #7
Quote by PDK

Thanks for recommendation We've stayed in Bantry before, we were hoping to visit mizen head this year as we couldn't get near it last year, trying to get to places we haven't been before this year 🤞

As said, Mizen is itself a good place to park overnight. If it's a bit too remote, Bantry is just 50km back the road or Ballydehob only 30km away.

Liked by: Europa, PDK

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2021  ·  #8
We drove down on one of the few drizzley days we had in August, hoping to chance our arm with an overnight in Crookhaven, thinking it might not be that busy but we were only fooling ourselves. If it had been a nice day, we would probably have driven on to Mizen but we headed on to Ballydehob. Thing is on sunny days last summer, the place was impassible in a car, never mind a van.

Liked by: PDK, sprinter

PDK
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2021  ·  #9
Quote by <BM>

We drove down on one of the few drizzley days we had in August, hoping to chance our arm with an overnight in Crookhaven, thinking it might not be that busy but we were only fooling ourselves. If it had been a nice day, we would probably have driven on to Mizen but we headed on to Ballydehob. Thing is on sunny days last summer, the place was impassible in a car, never mind a van.

Yeah I seen pictures online of it, that's my idea of a nightmare holiday, might give mizen a miss till September at least the schools might be gone back by then 🤞

Liked by: eirebus

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2021  ·  #10
Might be best if this year is like last year alright. But if you arrive very early, or late, you should be fine. Head west, it starts thinning out the further west you go.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2021  ·  #11
Brave man trying to book months ahead in this day and age.

PDK
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2021  ·  #12
Quote by RTV

Couldn't get anything last year as when we could go every thing was already booked, thought I might get in early this year but not looking great so far, morriscastle aren't doing short stays either that was another one on our list, we bring our son and daughter sometimes and they prefer sites or proper aires, rather than wild camping, we don't mind either way

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2021  ·  #13
We done beara peninsula and ring of Kerry last July. Had nothing booked except for 3 nights in Eyeries, and we needn’t have bothered there as it wasn’t full.
1 night Franks field
3 nights Eyeries
2 nights Sneem
1 night Cahirciveen
2 nights Bantry
1 night Midelton
Arrive early in the busy places, and be prepared to move on.
There is an Aire in Castletown Bere that didn’t seem to be used much at all. Right in the town

PDK
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2021  ·  #14
Quote by Daffysparks

We done beara peninsula and ring of Kerry last July. Had nothing booked except for 3 nights in Eyeries, and we needn’t have bothered there as it wasn’t full.
1 night Franks field
3 nights Eyeries
2 nights Sneem
1 night Cahirciveen
2 nights Bantry
1 night Midelton
Arrive early in the busy places, and be prepared to move on.
There is an Aire in Castletown Bere that didn’t seem to be used much at all. Right in the town

We started in Ardmore couldn't get in even though we are very close and go there alot, we met friends on a Wednesday evening bringing the van down there and the wife followed in the car to bring him home till the weekend which alot were doing to guarantee a weekend space, so we moved on to Frank's field also full, headed to cobh in the end for a night and rang a few places from there all booked or 30€ for 2 adults which is too expensive when most of there facilities were closed, I think I might just wing it like you say, we did go to portumna and got the last space so stayed 2 nights which was lovely and met some lovely people which was nice too

Liked by: Whelaneil

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2021  ·  #15
We had intended to go to Dicks field, but heard it was full. Tbh I’m not bothered with Dick’s anymore. It is too popular now, and way to difficult to get a spot

Liked by: PDK, Whelaneil

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #16
We took 10 days in September ( ring of Kerry /Beara) and no problems at all, weather was even good and the pubs (remember them ) even opened half way through the trip

Liked by: Whelaneil

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #17
Quote by PDK

Quote by RTV

Couldn't get anything last year as when we could go every thing was already booked, thought I might get in early this year but not looking great so far, morriscastle aren't doing short stays either that was another one on our list, we bring our son and daughter sometimes and they prefer sites or proper aires, rather than wild camping, we don't mind either way

I was joking and I get where you're coming from, but I really have to admire people's optimism booking things in advance. I'm just hoping that I'll be able to go to my local beach which is about 7km away from me and usually blocked by guards.

Camper is ready to go for the next little window of opening, followed by the 28th lockdown.

Liked by: ntg, Whelaneil, +deleted user

PDK
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #18
I'd be grateful for a day out In it too, I have beautiful walks on my doorstep, but unfortunately we can't bring the camper up the knockmealdowns 😅 Ive given up on the bookings now, wasn't getting much joy so just going to take off whenever we can. Hopefully you'll get to the beach soon

Liked by: ntg, RTV, Whelaneil

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #19
We did a clockwise tour for the best part of three weeks last summer making a dozen stopovers of varying length (1 > 3 nights) without any pre-booking.
Cork > Wexford > Louth > Sligo > Clare > Tippearry > Cork

Liked by: ntg, PDK

PDK
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #20
Quote by baguette

We did a clockwise tour for the best part of three weeks last summer making a dozen stopovers of varying length (1 > 3 nights) without any pre-booking.

Looking like that's what we'll be doing too 👍

Comet
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rapido
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #21
Quote by baguette

We had a clock like that too, once upon a time.

Liked by: baguette, TippOff

Roulston1008
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Conversion
Base Vehicle: 2016 Citroen Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #22
Last August we did a mixture of wild camping and camping sites around the Barea and Ring of Kerry. 1st night Gougane Barra - wild. 2nd Eyeries campsite. 3rd Castletown Bare golf course campsite 4th Kenmare wild. 5th wave crest campsite. 6th Valentia island campsite. We did not pre book any site.

Liked by: ntg, PDK

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #23
In my opinion the campsites that wish to get the long-term stayes will loose out.
No way am I going out in my camper to sit for the duration of my holliday in one campsite,but I am willing to support sites with a stay of 2 or 3 days.
In short there is business to be had from short stays like myself and if that it not available then we will find other places to holliday.

Comet
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rapido
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #24
Certainly the ability to move around and be self-sufficient in the Ireland of today is a huge part of the attraction of Motor-homing.
Being able to stay a night or two, explore the local walks and attractions, and then move on is just lovely.

Liked by: baguette, eirebus, Europa, norma, ntg, panda, Paul mcg, PDK, TippOff, +deleted user

PDK
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #25
Quote by Comet

Certainly the ability to move around and be self-sufficient in the Ireland of today is a huge part of the attraction of Motor-homing.
Being able to stay a night or two, explore the local walks and attractions, and then move on is just lovely.

Exactly the reason we bought a motorhome 7 yrs ago, we still consider ourselves newbies with so many places to discover here and abroad, done the 2 wks in one place when kids were little, and always got itchy feet after a couple of days so 100% agree with you guys 👍

Liked by: ntg

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #26
Quote by Comet

Quote by baguette

We had a clock like that too, once upon a time.

Well spotted, go to the top of the class :ok_hand:😜

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2021  ·  #27
Quote by ntg

In my opinion the campsites that wish to get the long-term stayes will loose out.
No way am I going out in my camper to sit for the duration of my holliday in one campsite,but I am willing to support sites with a stay of 2 or 3 days.
In short there is business to be had from short stays like myself and if that it not available then we will find other places to holliday.

100% that's the whole point of having a MH in my opinion, I've never stayed more than 2 nights on a single spot. That mentality is more aimed to caravans.

I suppose we only do campsites during the off season/winter and never came across such limitations.

Liked by: ntg

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2021  ·  #28
There were a few sites insisting on minimum duration stays ranging from 7 days to 3 months.
This year I know of a few that are requiring a minimum duration stay, some are saying it is to reduce the turn over of people.
We have had numerous requests for seasonal pitches, (all turned down). I think this year assuming we get to open will be a repeat of last year and the popular sites, parking spots and Aires will be full for the peak season.

Liked by: <BM>, eirebus, ntg, PDK, sprinter, +deleted user

PDK
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2021  ·  #29
I booked Joe's place in norman view for June Bank Holiday weekend, hadn't really planned on going away that weekend as quite busy here, but I love this place and he's a gent, and now I have something to look forward to, hopefully we'll be released from 5k captivity sooner rather than later😀

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2021  ·  #30
Quote by PDK

I booked Joe's place in norman view for June Bank Holiday weekend, hadn't really planned on going away that weekend as quite busy here, but I love this place and he's a gent, and now I have something to look forward to, hopefully we'll be released from 5k captivity sooner rather than later😀

About a month to go to find out what the future holds... now, as much as I complain, I really hope that they've learned the lesson already and now know that they can just re-open. They'll have to take a very slow and phased out approach.

For what I see on the street when I walk my dogs, I feel like I'm the only one sticking to the 5km. Traffic is at 80/90%, only thing missing is the long queues of soccer mums picking up their kids from school.

PDK
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2021  ·  #31
Quote by RTV

Quote by PDK

About a month to go to find out what the future holds... now, as much as I complain, I really hope that they've learned the lesson already and now know that they can just re-open. They'll have to take a very slow and phased out approach.

For what I see on the street when I walk my dogs, I feel like I'm the only one sticking to the 5km. Traffic is at 80/90%, only thing missing is the long queues of soccer mums picking up their kids from school.

Bit of a ghost town here only activity seems to be the weekly shoppers so fingers crossed for March

Liked by: sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.