RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

Re: 100w Solar - is it worth it?

· 
Posted: 22.01.2021  ·  #41
Yeah, we're all on the same page here. I have experience with the manual switches from the boating world. It's a good workaround to keep my existing battery but definitely not the solution I would want long term.

Since my existing battery works OK and can't go anywhere now, I don't think it makes sense to invest in two new leisures right now. I'll keep digging into solar and see if there's any type of configuration I can do to fit the space available I have on the roof... I should take a pic and show you guys so you better understand my current situation.

Liked by: sprinter

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2021  ·  #42
Quote by RTV

Yeah, we're all on the same page here. I have experience with the manual switches from the boating world. It's a good workaround to keep my existing battery but definitely not the solution I would want long term.

Since my existing battery works OK and can't go anywhere now, I don't think it makes sense to invest in two new leisures right now. I'll keep digging into solar and see if there's any type of configuration I can do to fit the space available I have on the roof... I should take a pic and show you guys so you better understand my current situation.

That sounds like the sensible solution. 2 batteries can wait until your existing one is end of life. Solar you can do now.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

100w Solar - is it worth it?

· 
Posted: 22.01.2021  ·  #43

Screen shot of the panel today parked on the north side of a two story house.

Liked by: panda

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2021  ·  #44
What is your view on this, Guys & Gals?
Is it value for money or overpriced and is everything needed included in this package
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Mot…B07LD82DMJ

petereire
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: autoquest 270
Base Vehicle: Talbot express
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2021  ·  #45
panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2021  ·  #46
Its not too bad a price Pat in fairness....Everything's there :up:

Liked by: CHAUSSON

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2021  ·  #47
CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #48
Quote by eirebus

Quote by petereire

Not an mppt controller,

It is €391 with mppt controller, portable one have the advantage of been able to point at the sun but not very usable on an Aire that don’t allow anything outside the Motorhome footprint. I’d prefer a roof mounted unit that I can forget about.
Having said all that there was a large solar panel on the roof of our Chausson and only one leisure battery and we were constantly in trouble with flat batteries, then we got the Knaus with two 110A leisure batteries, no solar and very little problems with flat batteries. The first thing I was going to buy for it was a solar panel, nearly 6 years later I’m still thinking of fitting one.

Liked by: RTV

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #49
Quote by CHAUSSON

Is it value for money or overpriced and is everything needed included in this package

Take the charge controller out and you're left with €300 for 2 100w panels, some cable, some coectors, some plastic mouldings and a tube of PU glue. It's easy to get caught out with the cost of all the little bits but it seems at least €50 over priced, probably more, maybe I'm out of touch but that's my gut reaction.

Also if running cables, always oversize them, I'd go with at least 6mm2 so any further upgrade is plug and play on the roof and at the controller, you'll get it in any electrical factors for small money.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #50
I’d get the controller separately if it was me, if that’s possible. I much prefer the type that you can set on the controller rather than with an app. You don’t need the phone with you, and what if you were somewhere and had no signal. Not a huge issue, but why don’t they make the controller self contained. Or at least dual controls. IMO. Price wise, not too bad

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #51
Quote by CHAUSSON

Over Priced.
Amerisolar 320w all-black mono
10m of cable with MC4 connections - €8.00 @ 117.37
Victron SmartSolar 100/20 @ €166
Glue € 18.
Brackets € 36.
 € 338.
some delivery cost and you can do better on the controller. you dont need a 20 amp,one

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #52
Quote by sprinter

Quote by CHAUSSON

Over Priced.
Glue € 18.
Brackets € 36.
 € 338.
some delivery cost and you can do better on the controller. you dont need a 20 amp,one

Would he not need at least 25 amp Controller with 320 watt panel Martin?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #53
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #54
Quote by panda

Quote by sprinter

Quote by CHAUSSON

Over Priced.
Glue € 18.
Brackets € 36.
 € 338.
some delivery cost and you can do better on the controller. you don't need a 20 amp, one

Would he not need at least a 25 amp Controller with 320-watt panel Martin?

No why would he? when I asked the Vitron Guy He advised 15 was enough.
Max o/c voltage ( Voc ) 40.4 Volt Max S/C Current ( Isc ) 10.06 amp. A 15 amp controller is 50% above output. max fuse rating 15 amp.
This is a link to the spec sheet.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u…&disp=safe

@Daffysparks . I fairly sure the same Vitron Controllers can be got without the bells and whistles. That's what I would be getting for myself, But when fitting for a gadget man, get all the gadgets. ;-)

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #55
It's a school day every day......I always thought the current rating spec was taken from the output to the batteries... I.e. 14 volts x 10 amps = 140 watts..... didn't know its measured to spec from input current.... thanks for that Martin 👍

Liked by: CHAUSSON, sprinter

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #56
Quote by sprinter

Quote by panda

Quote by sprinter

Quote by CHAUSSON

Over Priced.
Glue € 18.
Brackets € 36.
 € 338.
some delivery cost and you can do better on the controller. you don't need a 20 amp, one

Would he not need at least a 25 amp Controller with 320-watt panel Martin?

No why would he? when I asked the Vitron Guy He advised 15 was enough.
Max o/c voltage ( Voc ) 40.4 Volt Max S/C Current ( Isc ) 10.06 amp. A 15 amp controller is 50% above output. max fuse rating 15 amp.
This is a link to the spec sheet.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u…&disp=safe

@Daffysparks . I fairly sure the same Vitron Controllers can be got without the bells and whistles. That's what I would be getting for myself, But when fitting for a gadget man, get all the gadgets. ;-)

Probably. I just prefer the controllers with a display so you can see what’s happening and change your settings without faffing about with an app. Simpler the better for me.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #57
I have 200watts on the roof and going from the readings recorded below the system could max up around 11 amps.
using a controller rated at 15 amps for a 320watt panel would seem to be pushing the limit.
11 ÷ 200 × 320 = 17.6

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #58
The size of your controller will determine the amount of power that gets to the battery bank. If you fit a 10 amp controller that’s the most you will get, if you’re lucky)
If you fit a 30 amp, then that’s the most you will get. The controller size ideally should be determined by the size of solar and the battery bank. I personally would fit a 15 amp controller on 320 watts, only if it was charging one battery. If two batteries or more step up in size.
Obviously if you have one 150 A/h battery, that is the same as 2 x75A/h, but hopefully you get the idea

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #59
Quote by sprinter

Quote by CHAUSSON

Over Priced.
Glue € 18.
Brackets € 36.
 € 338.

You are after pitting the Cat among the pigeons there Martin, with that 320w panel, I have room for it across the back of the Motorhome, I wouldn't be too bothered with a bit of shade, after all we have got on for the last 6 years without any panel. that vicron controller seems to have good reviews. there are other mppt controllers for sale for a fraction of the cost, what is wrong with these?
getting back to the panel, is 4 plastic corner mounts and 2 center mounts good enough to fasten a panel as big as that to the roof?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #60
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by sprinter

Quote by CHAUSSON

Over Priced.
Glue € 18.
Brackets € 36.
 € 338.

You are after pitting the Cat among the pigeons there Martin, with that 320w panel, I have room for it across the back of the Motorhome, I wouldn't be too bothered with a bit of shade, after all we have got on for the last 6 years without any panel. that vicron controller seems to have good reviews. there are other mppt controllers for sale for a fraction of the cost, what is wrong with these?
getting back to the panel, is 4 plastic corner mounts and 2 center mounts good enough to fasten a panel as big as that to the roof?

I have an eco worthy controller. I find it great. I think it was around €80 just make sure you roof isn’t the one with the thin flexible skin on top. Used as hail protection, I think. If it had this type, make sure it’s not loose

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #61
Quote by Daffysparks

Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by sprinter

Quote by CHAUSSON

Over Priced.
Glue € 18.
Brackets € 36.
 € 338.

I have an eco worthy controller. I find it great. I think it was around €80 just make sure you roof isn’t the one with the thin flexible skin on top. Used as hail protection, I think. If it had this type, make sure it’s not loose

Something like this David? Roof is fine but when fixed across van will there be wind whistling between it and roof?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/L03…103&sr=8-2

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #62
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by Daffysparks

Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by sprinter

Quote by CHAUSSON

Over Priced.
Glue € 18.
Brackets € 36.
 € 338.

Something like this David? Roof is fine but when fixed across van will there be wind whistling between it and roof?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/L03…103&sr=8-2

That’s the one. Mine is solid to the front and back and are fitted near the front. Panda might know better, but being near the back, I would have thought it would be out of the worst of the wind when driving

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #63
Mine is mounted towards the rear and never heard wind noise. I do have long brackets on the front facing the wind so all the airflow goes up and over the panel.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #64
yes the six bracket kit is the one we used, the front is behind the centre skylight which deflects the wind.
if your concerned buy 4 extra side brackets, that would give you a spacing of about 400mill between each, 2 on the long side's and 1 on the short sides.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #65
Indeed Martin....I went for an extra 2 long brackets for the front to deflect air...I've 8 brackets in total but in fairness...like you...is a damn large panel so needs it. All held down with Sikaflex 252.....I also drilled holes in the brackets to allow adhesive to really get a good bond when pressed down into adhesive.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, ntg, +deleted user

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #66
Ok a question for the Teccies. If you have an Mppt controller that charges 2 separate batteries ie. The habitation battery and the vehicle battery what thickness of wire goes to the vehicle battery. Also does it matter if the vehicle battery is a normal wet one and the habitation batteries are AGM. Simples please

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #67
If you have two outputs that you can configure separately it shouldn’t be an issue. Otherwise you are going to need to compromise on charging and floating voltage to try get a happy medium between both batteries. Does your system not automatically divert to starter battery once leisure is charged. The same size cable that’s charging the leisure should be fine for the starter battery

Liked by: CHAUSSON, TommyS

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #68
With such a large panel, is there any fear of the controller over heating and starting a fire in a scorching summers day.?
David, is your controller big enough for a 320w panel and is your one charging the engine battery as well?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #69
It will do for 320 watts, but you will only get 20 Amps max. They do a 30 watt version as well. If you only have one leisure battery then 20 amps is plenty. No mine doesn’t charge the engine battery, I never bothered to set it up to be honest. Up until this year it was never an issue as the van was used regularly. I put a c-tech smart charger on it now. I probably should do it. There should be no danger of it overheating. It’s designed to just let through what the battery needs, as it senses the battery voltage and acts accordingly to regulate amperage.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #70
Thanks Guys, some great food for thought there :up:

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter, TommyS, +deleted user

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #71
David I don't have solar but have been toying with the idea of adding just to keep the batteries topped up. You know I'm a generator guy 8-)

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #72
Quote by Daffysparks

It will do for 320 watts, but you will only get 20 Amps max. They do a 30 watt version as well. If you only have one leisure battery then 20 amps is plenty. No mine doesn’t charge the engine battery, I never bothered to set it up to be honest. Up until this year it was never an issue as the van was used regularly. I put a c-tech smart charger on it now. I probably should do it. There should be no danger of it overheating. It’s designed to just let through what the battery needs, as it senses the battery voltage and acts accordingly to regulate amperage.

I used a Cyrix Battery Combiner whenever the leisure battery is charged, it changes over to charge the engine battery and if you use heavy enough cables it can be used to give the engine a boost if needed.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, +deleted user

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #73
Quote by sprinter

Quote by Daffysparks

I used a Cyrix Battery Combiner whenever the leisure battery is charged, it changes over to charge the engine battery and if you use heavy enough cables it can be used to give the engine a boost if needed.

I've had ONE OF THESE since I fitted my solar. The charge controller I have doesn't have a separate circuit for charging the engine battery so the CSB2 unit does it instead.
Now, it's not designed to charge a battery that's gone flat but it has always kept the starter battery fully charges and even compensated for using the dash radio when parked up.
It does such a good job on the engine battery that the DRL's sometimes come because their controller thinks the engine has started when the battery voltage reaches the 13.6v

Liked by: CHAUSSON, +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #74
I really need to retire, so I have time for all these little projects

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #75
Quote by TommyS

David I don't have solar but have been toying with the idea of adding just to keep the batteries topped up. You know I'm a generator guy 8-)

Oh yeah.... had forgotten you are one of THOSE people 🤣🤣

Liked by: TommyS

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #76
Unclean Unclean

Liked by: +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #77
Quote by TommyS

Unclean Unclean

And noisy to booth.

Liked by: TommyS

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #78
Quote by Daffysparks

YES! Sadly I still have like 30 years to go until that happens.... it's absolutely heart breaking!

Nice conversation going on here lads, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences, very helpful :)

Liked by: sprinter, StrandCampingDoonbeg, +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #79
Quote by RTV

Quote by Daffysparks

YES! Sadly I still have like 30 years to go until that happens.... it's absolutely heartbreaking!

Nice conversation going on here lads, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences, very helpful :)

Sure you're only a child you must be the youngest one here :-/, does your mother know you are conversing with a load of oldies, on da internet, thing :o ;-)

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #80
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by eirebus

Quote by petereire

Not an mppt controller,

It is €391 with mppt controller, portable one have the advantage of been able to point at the sun but not very usable on an Aire that don’t allow anything outside the Motorhome footprint. I’d prefer a roof mounted unit that I can forget about.
Having said all that there was a large solar panel on the roof of our Chausson and only one leisure battery and we were constantly in trouble with flat batteries, then we got the Knaus with two 110A leisure batteries, no solar and very little problems with flat batteries. The first thing I was going to buy for it was a solar panel, nearly 6 years later I’m still thinking of fitting one.

put it on the windscreen with a bungey cord on top lapped around the wing mirrors and your at a good angle face on to the sun

Liked by: petereire, sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.