Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

VRT Cost

· 
Posted: 20.01.2021  ·  #1
Hi folks,

When I posted a few weeks ago about my recent purchase I got a bunch of questions about VRT process and cost, I just got the final word from revenue so here's the story.

This was all done before BREXIT mind you ...

So I imported a 2003 Rollerteam 4 berth based on a Ducato 2.0 JTD from the UK (Wales) in December, brought it over using the unaccompanied vehicle arrangement with Irish Ferries and picked it up from Rosslare, no hassle.

I booked my VRT registration, went there with all the paperwork (really straight forward if you bring all the info they request). At the day of my booking I went with the van to the Skibereen center which was the only one which had available dates, went over 2 garda checkpoints and they were all fine with what I was doing.

Once there, I presented all my paperwork and waited a few minutes for the lady (another fellow camper owner) to come out and check the VIN number and take a few pictures of the van. They obviously didn't have the specific model on their system, so they had to send all the info to revenue to come up with a valuation.

Valuation came up at €3k more than what I actually paid for the van, but in fairness it matches what I could sell the van here locally, so arguably it's market value. I'm paying about €400 more than I was hoping, but in the grand scheme of things I saved myself about €2.6k if not more by importing the van all together, so it's what it is.

I'll head down to the VRT office today and make the final payment but there's nothing more than that, I don't even have to bring the van, just the paperwork and my debit card.

Next step: get the irish reg and pay road tax and that's about it.

I hope this helps anyone thinking about importing a vehicle from the EU.

Cheers
Rami

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: VRT Cost

· 
Posted: 20.01.2021  ·  #2
Best of luck with the new van 👍

Liked by: RTV

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2021  ·  #3
Thanks for that Rami. Seems straight forward as long as you have all the paperwork that they ask for. Hope you have many happy and enjoyable journeys in her. :up:

Liked by: RTV

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2021  ·  #4
Quote by eirebus

Best of luck with the new van 👍

Thanks! We got a little glimpse of it around xmas and we absolutely love it, perfect van for us! Can't wait to be able to go back out.

Quote by Flipperdipper

Thanks for that Rami. Seems straight forward as long as you have all the paperwork that they ask for. Hope you have many happy and enjoyable journeys in her. :up:

It really is, I have imported motorcycles before and never got an issue as long as you read through all the requirements and bring what they ask you. All the folks that I've dealt with both at the office or over the phone have always been super polite and helpful, so can't complain.

Liked by: eirebus, panda

roadwretch
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2021  ·  #5
Good luck with the new van. You could try to appeal the amount of VRT paid. I was often successful myself. Note prices of similar type of vans any work needed to bring yours up to scratch etc...Anything rebated would be a nice bonus😆

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2021  ·  #6
Quote by roadwretch

Good luck with the new van. You could try to appeal the amount of VRT paid. I was often successful myself. Note prices of similar type of vans any work needed to bring yours up to scratch etc...Anything rebated would be a nice bonus😆

yup, I'll probably give that a go... they take enough taxes from my pocket already, so I'll take my chances with the appeal and see what happens.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2021  ·  #7
When you get the Registration Certificate (Form RF101) make sure the correct number of seats with seat belts is listed at S.1 and the correct GVW (as shown on the VIN plate) is listed at F.1
I've seen many certs issued with incorrect info in those particular fields. The error is generally not taken notice of by authorities here but could lead to difficulties in foreign parts if you are required to produce the vehicle's documents for some reason.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

VRT Cost

· 
Posted: 21.01.2021  ·  #8
Quote by baguette

When you get the Registration Certificate (Form RF101) make sure the correct number of seats with seat belts is listed at S.1 and the correct GVW (as shown on the VIN plate) is listed at F.1
I've seen many certs issued with incorrect info in those particular fields. The error is generally not taken notice of by authorities here but could lead to difficulties in foreign parts if you are required to produce the vehicle's documents for some reason.

I'll second that get the guy you are going to pay the money to, to come out and go over what is printed the paperwork word for word.

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2021  ·  #9
Hey Rami, hope you enjoyed your visit to Skibbereen, where the sun shines all day, every day. Truly the finest town in County Cork, if not Ireland....if not the World.
Also the home of possibly the best-looking, most charming, super-intelligent (and above all, deeply humble) MH Craic member. His unassuming modesty means he wishes to remain anonymous, so he won't be signing this reply.

Liked by: ntg, RTV, seanmc, +deleted user

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2021  ·  #10
Quote by tony glenn

Hey Rami, hope you enjoyed your visit to Skibbereen, where the sun shines all day, every day. Truly the finest town in County Cork, if not Ireland....if not the World.
Also the home of possibly the best-looking, most charming, super-intelligent (and above all, deeply humble) MH Craic member. His unassuming modesty means he wishes to remain anonymous, so he won't be signing this reply.

Any chance of organising an Aire for the beautiful town. I spent many summer holidays as a youngster in Madore.
Apologies to all for going OT 🙂

Liked by: eirebus, tony glenn

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2021  ·  #11
Thanks lads, yes... I certainly read the horror stories before and I triple checked all the details every time I was handed a piece of paper and all checked out. When the lady was taking the pics and doing the inspection of my van, I pointed out that the van had 4 seat belts at the back and made sure that it was marked as a 6 seat belt.

All good. They even got the model and version correct instead of putting "fiat ducato" they entered Rollerteam Auto Roller 15P which I was quite impressed.

I departed with my hard earned cash anyways, I should be able to pay the tax hopefully tomorrow and already ordered the new plate, happy out.

Quote by tony glenn

I truly love Skibereen, we go often with the bikes actually. I didn't know that it was home of such a celebrity, might have to call over for a cuppa next time :)

I was pretty close to move to West Cork last year but unfortunately the house fell through, with all the shite going on it'll probably 2022 now but really, really looking forward to it.

Cheers
Rami

Liked by: sprinter, tony glenn

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2021  ·  #12
Quote by baguette

Quote by tony glenn

Any chance of organising an Aire for the beautiful town. I spent many summer holidays as a youngster in Madore.

There's tge perfect spot for a Skibbereen aire on the left as you drive down the Skibbereen bypass road (known locally as fat-arse lane, due the number of walkers exercising there 😂)
It's a large unused area, flat hardstanding, right on the edge of town. Just sitting there for years. It would have been ideal last Summer when the only two sites locally (Skibbereen and Glandore) were both closed for the season, meaning the Bantry aire was the nearest dedicated parking spot.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2021  ·  #13
Quote by tony glenn

Quote by baguette

Quote by tony glenn

There's tge perfect spot for a Skibbereen aire on the left as you drive down the Skibbereen bypass road (known locally as fat-arse lane, due the number of walkers exercising there 😂)
It's a large unused area, flat hardstanding, right on the edge of town. Just sitting there for years. It would have been ideal last Summer when the only two sites locally (Skibbereen and Glandore) were both closed for the season, meaning the Bantry aire was the nearest dedicated parking spot.

I overnighted at the beach carpark in Tragumna

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

VRT court case

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #14
baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #15
Quote by sprinter

Is there finally going to be some clarity in this situation.
I hope but don't see the Government giving up this cash cow.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ir…EXuYUtP9Sk

We can't get away from the fact that the government are entitled to charge a tax to register a vehicle.

However, what should not be happening is the vehicle registration tax being calculated on a notional VRT inclusive value, that's just like calculating VAT on the VAT included price of goods/services without reference to the price of the goods/services on the seller's invoice.
A complaint against the above crazy practice would surely succeed in any court.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #16
Quote by baguette

Quote by sprinter

Is there finally going to be some clarity in this situation.
I hope but don't see the Government giving up this cash cow.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ir…EXuYUtP9Sk

We can't get away from the fact that the government are entitled to charge a tax to register a vehicle.

However, what should not be happening is the vehicle registration tax being calculated on a notional VRT inclusive value, that's just like calculating VAT on the VAT included price of goods/services without reference to the price of the goods/services on the seller's invoice.
A complaint against the above crazy practice would surely succeed in any court.

You would think so but?
The Court of Appeal (CoA) has ruled the High Court should rehear part of a case which started 25 years ago over the system of valuing used imported cars for the purpose of calculating vehicle registration tax (VRT).

I think it would have been settled long ago except for the Claim for loss of 130 million when the expenses reach 129 Million they may give in.
but then we have to think about people, who have their head firmly buried in the sand at the bottom of the box, all the while speaking trough their uppermost end,

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #17
They'd only replace it with, your tyres are black tax 😠

Liked by: sprinter

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #18
Quote by eirebus

Sure then everyone could fit white wall tyres and evade it.😂

Liked by: sprinter, +deleted user

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #19
Quote by ntg

Quote by eirebus

Sure then everyone could fit white wall tyres and evade it.😂

50% extra for fancy pants whitewalls 😁

Liked by: ntg, panda

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #20
What about God loves a trier?😂

Liked by: panda

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #21
Quote by eirebus

Are you trying to start a new tread?

😂 (Geddit? Tread? Thread? I'm here all week folks!)

Liked by: eirebus, ntg, +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

VRT Cost

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #22
I know we all love to hate them, but if you are running a business wouldn't you love to have some of them running your accounts department :-/

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

VRT Cost

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #23
Not VRT but still Tax.
My Buddy got a 2017 Rapido fiat 130 multijet ( euro6? ) last September finally got all his paper in order and went to tax it online and they want €940.
Is this a new Motorhome tax,? there must be something wrong with the paperwork any ideas?
what would a commercial van Be?

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #24
What is its basis of assessment? Perhaps there is arrears owing?
I can't see a rate of €940 on the motortax.ie site but if you know the basis of assessment it would be easy to figure out what is wrong.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #25
Quote by sprinter

Not VRT but still Tax.
My Buddy got a 2017 Rapido fiat 130 multijet ( euro6? ) last September finally got all his paper in order and went to tax it online and they want €940.
Is this a new Motorhome tax,? there must be something wrong with the paperwork any ideas?

Definitely wrong, the road tax on a motorhome is currently €102 per year.
The registration certificate is obviously wrongly showing the Motor Taxation Class as a commercial vehicle or maybe Private which is for cars. It should show Motor Caravan

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #26
Quote by sprinter

Not VRT but still Tax.

VRT office should have advised your friend to send the RF100 form, apparently when revenue register the campervan, they fail to set them up on the correct caterogry. So filling out the RF100 form and sending it to revenue will fix that issue....

(ask me how I know)

Here's the response I got

CustomerService <CustomerService@corkcoco.ie>
Fri, Jan 22, 9:27 AM (3 days ago)
to me

Hi Ramiro,

The best thing would be for you to fill out an RF100 and return by post with the €102 fee.

I will post one to your address in Hawthorn Drive today

Regards,

Ian

An Oifig Mótair Cánach

Párc Gnó Bhóthair na Modhfheirme, Bóthar na Modhfheirme, Corcaigh, T12 XP80

T +353-(0)21 – 454 4566| F 021 4341007 | e motortax@corkcoco.ie | www.corkcoco.ie

Motor Tax Office

Model Business Park, Model Farm Road, Cork T12 XP80

T +353-(0)21 – 454 4566| F 021 4341007 | e motortax@corkcoco.ie | www.corkcoco.ie

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

on VRT Cost

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #27
Thanks, Guys that was my thinking also. but in the times that we are in, it's hard to speak to a human on the phone.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #28
Quote by sprinter

Thanks, Guys that was my thinking also. but in the times that we are in, it's hard to speak to a human on the phone.

Agreed, that's why I went over email and I got a pretty quick response actually.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #29
Check the following fields on the Registration Certificate

(F.1) should be the GVW, the first weight on the list of weights on the Rapido VIN plate under the bonnet, perhaps 3,500kg depending on model
(D.3) should be Motor Caravan
(J.2) should be Motor Caravan
(S.1) should be the number of travel seats (those with seatbelts) including the driver's seat.

The first and last are very often wrong, in your case the middle two are probably also wrong, but the third one seems to be definitely wrong if they're looking for €940 Motor Tax.

The vehicle details seem to be wrong on the NVDF click and scroll down, unfortunately getting them corrected is a massive pain in the butt. To those in the motor tax office, the NVDF is the gospel so that has to be fixed before the tax they are looking for can be changed.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

VRT Cost

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #30
Quote by baguette

(F.1) should be the GVW, the first weight on the list of weights on the Rapido VIN plate under the bonnet, perhaps 3,500kg depending on model
(S.1) should be the number of travel seats (those with seatbelts) including the driver's seat.

The first and last are very often wrong, in your case the middle two are probably also wrong, but the third one seems to be definitely wrong if they're looking for €940 Motor Tax.

The vehicle details seem to be wrong on the NVDF click and scroll down, unfortunately getting them corrected is a massive pain in the butt. To those in the motor tax office, the NVDF is the gospel so that has to be fixed before the tax they are looking for can be changed.

He finally got someone, who said he has to fill out a first registration form and the RF100, which they post send him and he is to return them with the €102.
Makes you think why to book it in, to be checked and have the paperwork sent to revenue and how did he get a new reg number/. if it isn't registered :-/

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #31
Quote by sprinter

Quote by baguette

He finally got someone, who said he has to fill out a first registration form and the RF100, which they post send him and he is to return them with the €102.
Makes you think why to book it in, to be checked and have the paperwork sent to revenue and how did he get a new reg number/. if it isn't registered :-/

It is registered, but not as a Motor Caravan.
Has your friend check the Registration Certificate as suggested and if so what did he find in relation to the four fields mentioned.

Finally, RF100 MOTOR TAX APPLICATION FORM FOR A NEW OR USED MOTOR CYCLE ????

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

VRT Cost

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #32
Quote by baguette

Quote by sprinter

Quote by baguette

Has your friend check the Registration Certificate as suggested and if so what did he find in relation to the four fields mentioned.

Colin, as a matter of interest, as you have one, do you know how to change the dip beams to RHD

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #33
Quote by sprinter

Colin, as a matter of interest, as you have one, do you know how to change the dip beams to RHD

See THIS POST but it's only for A-Class with the Hella 90mm units.

Liked by: eirebus

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.01.2021  ·  #34
Quote by baguette

RF100 can get a bit confusing as there's multiple versions of it, but there's one specifically for newly imported vehicles (regardless if they're used or not). When you do the VRT, they should provide the correct form you could otherwise request it via email or find it online. Just make sure it's not the RF100A or any other version...

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

VRT Cost

· 
Posted: 28.01.2021  ·  #35
When importing.one of the requirements are.
Confirmation of the levels of CO2 Emissions and NOx Emissions which would be on the Certificate of conformity ( e-CoC ) has anyone ever seen one.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2021  ·  #36
Quote by sprinter

When importing.one of the requirements are.
Confirmation of the levels of CO2 Emissions and NOx Emissions which would be on the Certificate of conformity ( e-CoC ) has anyone ever seen one.

Ya, you're supposed to have one when first registering, going through the VRT process. Every mh has one issued and should be part of the vehicle documentation handed over by the dealer when being first sold. Most probably end up in the bottom of a drawer or thrown away.
I still have mine kept safely, you never know when it might be needed the way stuff gets crocked up in this country.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2021  ·  #37
I believe the Nox charge is separate to the vrt. And could be 12-1500. Is that correct

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2021  ·  #38
Quote by Daffysparks

I believe the Nox charge is separate to the vrt. And could be 12-1500. Is that correct

I’m fairly certain the Nox charge is not applicable to motorhomes

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

VRT Cost

· 
Posted: 28.01.2021  ·  #39
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Quote by Daffysparks

I’m fairly certain the Nox charge is not applicable to motorhomes

If it is or not it has to appear on the paperwork,

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2021  ·  #40
Not applicable to motorhomes. Unless it depends on their age, there was no NOX charge at all in my case.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.