Weights

Riocht
My Motorhome: Hymer B564 2003
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 TD
Subject:

CVRT Tests

· 
Posted: 16.01.2021  ·  #1
Hello, I wonder can I get some advice please?
I got my 2003 Hymer B564 A class, tested yesterday as a Light Commercial Vehicle, 3500KG on Registration Certificate, on all previous CVRT’s, on Hymers VIN plate and the Tax is €102. It was imported in 2007 and was classed as under 3500 KG by Revenue.

It passed the CVRT and I got the Pass Statement, when I went home I noticed they had classed it as 3900Kg. I rang the test centre and they said they had got that weight from the ALCO Vin plate and their supposed to read the highest weight marked on any Vin plate. The Camper weighs 2800KG and the Hymer Vin Plate shows. 3500KG, 5500KG for towing, Axel 1: 1850, Axel 2: 2120.
I have had Campers since late 80’s and I have always used this CVRT centre since the tests were required. I don’t have a C license and I purchased this Camper in August 2020, after I checked everything.
Any ideas please. Thank you.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: CVRT Tests

· 
Posted: 16.01.2021  ·  #2
Not of direct help to you since you are in the Republic, but in the UK, the converters vin plate is the relevant for licence and tax.
My van is also a Hymer B598 A class, (2016) it has a Fiat Vin plate for the cab section which originally would have been designed with a Fiat chassis. It has a second Vin plate sitting beside the Fiat one just under the bonnet because my van has an ALKO chassis from the cab back.
The third vin plate, which is the accepted plate by the DVLA is the Hymer vin which is on the valance beside the habitation door on the offside.
Like yours my plates all carry differing weights, although I have not looked recently. I uprated my van from 3500kg (hymer weight) to 3850kg ALKO chassis top weight, so this was able to be done without any material change to the van.
Sadly your problem seems to be just another example of the confusion and poor legislation and guidelines that seem to plague motorhomers in the south.
The Fiat and ALKO plates are metal, riveted to the crossmember just under the bonnet. The Hymer is a stick on plastic lamination.
Is it possible the examiners did not see your Hymer plate because of its location, or is it possible the sticker has come off?
Hope you can get a satisfactory outcome.

Davy

Liked by: Riocht

Riocht
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2021  ·  #3
Thank you for your reply, I think the tester just took the ALKO VIN as the latest one but they won't change it. I have the three VINS as well. Fiat, ALCO and Hymer. Cheer's.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2021  ·  #4
Your Reg cert has 3500 on it, can't see Garda /insurance looking for anything else, but it's typical pre 10 Reg certs in ROI, did they test it as an lgv or charge for the higher hgv test

Riocht
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2021  ·  #5
Quote by eirebus

Your Reg cert has 3500 on it, can't see Garda /insurance looking for anything else, but it's typical pre 10 Reg certs in ROI, did they test it as an lgv or charge for the higher hgv test

Hello and Thanks for the reply,
They tested as an LGV and just done the standard LGV test. I think the tester could not find the Hymer Vin plate.
Cheers, John.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2021  ·  #6
Quote by eirebus

Both the same price eirebus.

But as said it's the Hymer VIN plate that counts and the Registration Certificate is the legal government document.
Some of those CVRT testers haven't a clue when it comes to motorhomes.

Watch out though, some changes made by CVRT testers to the RSA CoVIS (Commercial Vehicle Information System) system can find their way into the NVDF (National Vehicle & Driver File) from which the Registration Certificate is printed. If the vehicle goes through a change of ownership process the new Cert could be issued with the incorrect weight entered by the CVRT tester.

Riocht
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2021  ·  #7

But as said it's the Hymer VIN plate that counts and the Registration Certificate is the legal government document.
Some of those CVRT testers haven't a clue when it comes to motorhomes.

Watch out though, some changes made by CVRT testers to the RSA CoVIS (Commercial Vehicle Information System) system can find their way into the NVDF (National Vehicle & Driver File) from which the Registration Certificate is printed. If the vehicle goes through a change of ownership process the new Cert could be issued with the incorrect weight entered by the CVRT tester.

Thank you for the reply, I will keep my eye on things to make sure it stays at 3500KG.
Cheers and Thanks, John.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2021  ·  #8
See what is on the cert when you get it, mine has 4000 kg on it so hopefully yours has 3500 on it

I thought I paid about €10 extra but maybe not

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2021  ·  #9
Quote by eirebus

See what is on the cert when you get it, mine has 4000 kg on it so hopefully yours has 3500 on it

I thought I paid about €10 extra but maybe not

Motor caravans with two axles ................................. Full Test fee €76.86 Re-Test fee €35.43 plus VAT
​Motor caravans with three or more axles ............... ​Full Test fee €94.58 Re-Test fee €44.29 plus VAT
Irrespective of GVW

The extra axle price is a total ripoff considering the simplicity of an ALKO axle. The RSA in their wisdom probably thought they would be dealing with the double axle setup found in a HGV.

Riocht
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2021  ·  #10
Thank you for the reply,
Going back to the Test Centre and I will update you when I find out what's happening.
Cheers, John.

Riocht
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #11
Went back today and they were going to test it as an LGV. They checked the Hymer VIN against the ALCO plate and the VIN was different. I then checked the Hymer VIN on a German site and it came uo as a Hymer Camper the ALCO VIN had to many characters 18 instead of 17. So it looks as if I will have to contact the CVRT again. I also found the first Registration Cert from Germany and it shows the Max weight as 3500kg.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #12
Game, set and match. The original German registration certificate is, like our registration certificate, a legal government issued document. Information contained on it is, unlike ours, a true account of a vehicles actual specifications. It should also confirm that the Hymer plate is the plate whose details are the ones under which the vehicle was originally registered.

Liked by: eirebus, Riocht

Riocht
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.01.2021  ·  #13
Quote by baguette

Game, set and match. The original German registration certificate is, like our registration certificate, a legal government issued document. Information contained on it is, unlike ours, a true account of a vehicles actual specifications. It should also confirm that the Hymer plate is the plate whose details are the ones under which the vehicle was originally registered.

Thank you for the reply baguette.

I have just rang Donagheys ( Main Hymer Dealer) in Letterkenny and a very helpful man Jerry told me the plate on the body of the Camper I have does show the Hymer Serial number and that's not the VIN number of the Vehicle. I then rang the CVRT tester and he said he would contact the RSA and get back to me. So I will just wait and see.

Riocht
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.01.2021  ·  #14
Quote by eirebus

Thanks for the reply.

Just got the new Cert today and it's showing 3900kg

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.01.2021  ·  #15
Quote by Riocht

Quote by eirebus

Thanks for the reply.

Just got the new Cert today and it's showing 3900kg

Vehicle Registration Cert or CVRT Cert?

Riocht
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.01.2021  ·  #16
CVRT Cert but the tester refunded me the price of the test yesterday.
Cheers.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.01.2021  ·  #17
Quote by Riocht

Cheers.

Sent you a PM

Riocht
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2021  ·  #18
Quote by baguette

Quote by Riocht

Cheers.

Sent you a PM

Sorry baguette I can't read the PM as I don't have enough posts.

Just heard from the Test Center, RSA contacted him and confirmed that he should use the Hymer Sticker to verify the weight.
So must go back to him on Wednesday for a new test, will update then.
Thanks everyone for all the help. Cheers John.

Liked by: <BM>, eirebus

Riocht
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2021  ·  #19
Everything sorted now, had the test yesterday and passed as LGV. Camper should be classed as 3500kg on the Cert so I wont have a problem with the insurance or the License. I would like to thank you all for your help, without it I would have had a long road ahead of me.

Thanks again, John Batt.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.