Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Portugal, parking changes from Jan 2021

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #1
Changes afoot for Portugal.......
Maybe the Spanish side will do is from now on....

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Portugal, parking changes from Jan 2021

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #2
Quote by JJF

Changes afoot for Portugal.......
Maybe the Spanish side will do is from now on....

Jon maybe by the time this Covid is cleared up they will be only too willing to see a few motorhomers willing to spend money in their country.
If this remains their attitude then there are many more sunny countries willing and waiting to welcome us and get some of our money.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #3
My thoughts exactly Norman, lots to see and places to go where we are welcomed. Maybe they’ll be a little more meek & welcoming when their economy attempts to recover after Covid & we decide to spend elsewhere.

Liked by: ntg, sprinter

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #4
Maybe time to start exploring Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania etc...

Liked by: eirebus, Helgahobby, JJF, ntg

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #5
Quote by panda

Very true John,always nice to go where you are welcome and appreciated.
Us motorhomers should never see ourselves as being a burden on anyone, we are free to roam and will always hunt the destination that welcomes us.

Liked by: JJF, panda

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #6
Quote by panda

John, you’ve read my mind! ...... I was going to type that in my reply, definitely a route I’ve been looking at. 👍👍

Liked by: panda

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #7
Quote by JJF

Quote by panda

John, you’ve read my mind! ...... I was going to type that in my reply, definitely a route I’ve been looking at. 👍👍

Well Jon I can personally vouch for Romania having been there in the MH. Stunning landscapes from Mountains, Forests, Lakes etc to the beautiful beaches of the Black Sea. Never had a problem parking anywhere, It is also extremely CHEAP!!!

Liked by: baguette, JJF, ntg

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #8
Quote by panda

Quote by JJF

Quote by panda

Well Jon I can personally vouch for Romania having been there in the MH. Stunning landscapes from Mountains, Forests, Lakes etc to the beautiful beaches of the Black Sea. Never had a problem parking anywhere, It is also extremely CHEAP!!!

Did it take you long to get there John, Sounds like a long jaunt.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #9
I've actually been thinking of doing Italy > Greece > Bulgaria, Black Sea for quite a while. I've done France > Spain > Portugal so many times the sense of adventure has been used up

Liked by: eirebus, JJF, panda

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #10
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by panda

Quote by JJF

Quote by panda

Did it take you long to get there John, Sounds like a long jaunt.

2 long days driving Pat....Not somewhere you would go for a 2 weeker but would be brilliant for a month or more ....It really is a beautiful Country.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus, JJF

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #11
Quote by baguette

I've actually been thinking of doing Italy > Greece > Bulgaria, Black Sea for quite a while. I've done France > Spain > Portugal so many times the sense of adventure has been used up

Love Greece...Been many times but never in the MH.....Just chomping at the bit to go to all these great places. Italy , Greece and Bulgaria would be a wonderful trip Colin :up: ....Bloody Covid holding us back :devil:

Liked by: baguette, CHAUSSON, ntg

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #12
Portugal is one of the few countries in Europe that I have never visited. After reading that, I think it’s safe to say, that I never will.
That is a huge anti camper/ caravan/ camping vibe for an entire country to be sending.
As always...... vote with your feet... or more accurately, the lack of them.

Liked by: ntg

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #13
Quote by panda

Quote by baguette

Love Greece...Been many times but never in the MH.....Just chomping at the bit to go to all these great places. Italy , Greece and Bulgaria would be a wonderful trip Colin :up: ....Bloody Covid holding us back :devil:

Like yourself John I love Greece but wouldn't be in a hurry back to Bulgaria though

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #14
Quote by panda

Quote by baguette

David I think it is fair to say that we have had many happy Hollidays in Portugal, but if this is their forward thinking then they can stuff it.
I will never beg to have a Holliday.

Liked by: JJF, panda, +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #15
Well yeah Norman. I know many people that love Portugal, I just never got there. Probably won’t now, with that attitude.
Pat I have been to Bulgaria. My parents even owned a property there, outside the usual places. We really enjoyed it, and found the people great. Now that Sunny beach place, where most people go, wasn’t a place I could recommend. Quite seedy

Liked by: JJF, ntg, panda

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #16
Been to Portugal a few times by motorhome, beautiful country....... with announcements like that we won’t be bothering any more.

Liked by: ntg

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2021  ·  #17
Maybe we should send an email to Portuguese tourist information and see what they say about it

Liked by: big LIam, JJF, ntg, panda

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2021  ·  #18
It won’t put me off going to Portugal as there are still plenty of Aires and good value campsites. I think Portugal had to do something about the colonies that were cropping up all over the coastal areas. Sagres would often have about 100 vans parked up on car parks, verges and it wasn’t as if they left no trace unfortunately. I don’t think Spain will be far behind Portugal as in normal years the amount of campers descending on the popular areas is ridiculous.

I have found Portugal to be MH friendly in the main. There are many community provided Aires which are often completely free or have a nominal charge for services. There are a huge number of privately owned Aires with rates between €3 to €10 a day. Municipal campsites ranging from €10 to €20 a day including showers and many commercial campsites. But as has been said many times MH owners are their own worst enemies.
They flock to the popular areas, congregate in large numbers, stay for days, weeks and months. Use the community provided bins, open manhole covers to empty their cassette, use drinking fountains or beach showers for water, emptying grey waste where they park or bucketing and pouring into the bushes.
Of course NOT ALL MH OWNERS but enough for people living in the area to tar all of us with the same brush.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2021  ·  #19
baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2021  ·  #20
We've been to Portugal a good few times and found campsites to be reasonably priced, especially for long stays.#
There are lots of private Aires too with EHU and toilet/shower blocks for about €10 or less per night.
We've used the Aire in Albufeira a few times, it was Albufeira FC's third rate pitch which the paved, it's €10 p/n high season (winter and €6 p/n low season (summer) CLICK

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2021  ·  #21
Portugal has a long way to go before it is motorhome friendly with the current aire network they have.
Latest figures per country:

France - 9419
Germany - 4784
Italy - 1622
Spain - 1010
Norway - 488
Portugal - 412

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2021  ·  #22
Quote by JJF

Portugal has a long way to go before it is motorhome friendly with the current aire network they have.
Latest figures per country:

France - 9419
Germany - 4784
Italy - 1622
Spain - 1010
Norway - 488
Portugal - 412

I agree and disagree population of Portugal 10 million it’s is 90000 odd square km. Ireland population 5 million and 80000 odd square km and how many Aires?
Spain has over 500000 square km which is over 5 times that of Portugal but they don’t have 5 times as many Aires.

But I do agree that France and Germany are much better providers for MHs. Which is great for the warmer months but not so great in the colder ones unless you like skiing.

Jon do you know how many Aires there are in England? I doubt there are many proportionally.

Liked by: baguette, GMAC, JJF, johnnymac

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2021  ·  #23
My Portuguese sister-in-law tells me of many tales of nuisance motorhomes. Deck chairs blocking footpaths, bins overflowing and all the rest.

A ‘Portuguese Passion’ network of vineyards providing overnight stays would help.

Liked by: GMAC, JJF

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2021  ·  #24
Crickey Jamie, the UK & Ireland proportionally have virtually none ! ... I jest, but you know what I mean.
And agree with your synopsis regarding the number relative to area that Portugal have. We did a month through Portugal and probably wilded 50% of the time, we used sites and official stops for the other 50%. I’d still go back but will miss the chances to stop off on a whim at a nice wild spot and that leaves Portugal a less attractive proposition from now on, at least it does for us.
I think the reason why the authorities implemented this law is to stop us even coming there in the first place, but a better approach would have been to have a gradual fade in of the law coupled with incentives for citizens/businesses/communities to provide a simple aire network for the traveller, a bit short sighted of them given the dire state of their economy and they have the climate and the visitors to service a better network. They’ve used a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
Imagine if Portugal was like France/Germany in relation to aire infrastructure, we’d stay long term, tour the country and spend spend spend. None of us mind spending a few euro on an aire.... but they need to be there in order to do so.
They’ll find if they alienate the motorhome tourist they’ll spend 10 fold to try and entice them back when they eventually get their act together.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2021  ·  #25
Quote by JJF

Crickey Jamie, the UK & Ireland proportionally have virtually none ! ... I jest, but you know what I mean.
And agree with your synopsis regarding the number relative to area that Portugal have. We did a month through Portugal and probably wilded 50% of the time, we used sites and official stops for the other 50%. I’d still go back but will miss the chances to stop off on a whim at a nice wild spot and that leaves Portugal a less attractive proposition from now on, at least it does for us.
I think the reason why the authorities implemented this law is to stop us even coming there in the first place, but a better approach would have been to have a gradual fade in of the law coupled with incentives for citizens/businesses/communities to provide a simple aire network for the traveller, a bit short sighted of them given the dire state of their economy and they have the climate and the visitors to service a better network. They’ve used a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
Imagine if Portugal was like France/Germany in relation to aire infrastructure, we’d stay long term, tour the country and spend spend spend. None of us mind spending a few euro on an aire.... but they need to be there in order to do so.
They’ll find if they alienate the motorhome tourist they’ll spend 10 fold to try and entice them back when they eventually get their act together.

I used to like the premise that if does say you can’t park there then you can and indeed one of my favourites in Spain and Portugal was an unofficial stop over in Alvor, which I much preferred over the aire or the campsite. There were several other non official but tolerated places I liked as well.
And yes I would have preferred if the officials put a stop to the wild campers in areas where it was proven to be a problem rather than a blanket ban.
But I still intend to go back this year if I can. Zambujeira and camping Albufeira are two of my favourite destinations for our winter trips. Along with the Aires in Silves.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2021  ·  #26
I have been going to the Algarve Portugal twice a year for 2 weeks usually February and Xmas ( flying and stopping in a hotel) for the last 6 years. I hire a car and have travelled the Algarve extensively originally sussing it out for going in the van. (I decided it was cheaper to fly). In those 6 years i have seen the numbers grow and some of the wild camping places i first thought would be great have now become overrun with vans. I have friends who have been going for almost 10 years in the van for 6 months at a time, and when i first went i visited them regularly and even got to know a lot of the community ,they were on the massive park close to the Tivolli and marina in Portimao which was closed and sold to a developer , a lot of the people off this site then moved down the road to an unfinished road in front of the hotels close to the beach,(and some to Alvor, Lagos, Silves) they stopped here 2 years until the Mayor had had enough so she kicked them off and blocked the road. I personally think this is the sort of practice they want to get rid off and as some have said there are plenty of Aires and campsites all along the Algarve.
Still my favourite holiday destination!!!

the now closed Portimao campsite

road side parking Portimao

roadside parking Portimao.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2021  ·  #27
GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2021  ·  #28
Definitely agree we are our own worst enemies at times. The tendency for growing numbers to congregate year on year in one place is what causes this reaction from locals and local government everywhere. Even in ireland when numbers increase in particular spots for longer periods the reaction has been to ban motorhomes. Howth,Bundoran, to name a few.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2021  ·  #29
I must try speak to my in-laws to get their take on it. They are based near Porto. I would suspect that unofficial parking will still be going on and that many quiet places would be glad of your presence. This is about clamping down on the crazy spots at busy beaches.

I just enquired with a campervan rental company ‘Portugal by Van’ about the new regulations and got a nice prompt reply.

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your contact.
Regarding the new laws we think there will be plenty of parking options. Besides the campings and campervan service areas (both are very cheap) you also have some public parks that allow campervans. The key note is to avoid sleeping in beach parks with a lot of campers getting around and in more crowded areas.
Hope this helps.

Kind regards and stay safe,
Marco

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2021  ·  #30
Quote by The Rambler

My Portuguese sister-in-law tells me of many tales of nuisance motorhomes. Deck chairs blocking footpaths, bins overflowing and all the rest.

A ‘Portuguese Passion’ network of vineyards providing overnight stays would help.

Checkout

https://portugaleasycamp.com/en/

Looks like this may be the start of something like a Passion style network. The site doesn't work very well on my phone, but on a tablet click on"Choose the host" and there's a map with about 50 host sites.

Liked by: panda, rebbyvid, sprinter

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2021  ·  #31
Quote by The Rambler

I can’t vouch for this site but it appears to be what you wanted.

https://portugaleasycamp.com/en/quemsomos/

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2021  ·  #32
re: https://portugaleasycamp.com

That site looks class, good find Jamie & Colin.

We drove Porto to Lisbon once by car, staying in cheap guest houses along the way. You can't get lost. As long as the Atlantic ocean is on your right you are heading south. It's a good route and obviously you have the Algarve as well. But a tour of the Douro valley and interior sounds fabulous.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2021  ·  #33
Quote by The Rambler

re: https://portugaleasycamp.com

That site looks class, good find Jamie & Colin.

We drove Porto to Lisbon once by car, staying in cheap guest houses along the way. You can't get lost. As long as the Atlantic ocean is on your right you are heading south. It's a good route and obviously you have the Algarve as well. But a tour of the Douro valley and interior sounds fabulous.

Apologies Colin I did not see that you had previously posted the same website.
I follow a MH Portugal Facebook page and a Mobilvetta page and saw the website on one of these pages. I have stayed on some of the passion equivalent sites in Spain and Portugal.

Liked by: ColinM

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2021  ·  #34
Hi Jamie, I just noticed a brief review of it in Practical Motorhome this month, tried to upload a screenshot, but no success. It looks promising.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2021  ·  #35
Looks a great site, and using local businesses can only be good for tourism. I must admit even though i have been going to France, Germany etc for a few years and never used France passion in the last couple of years have used independent vineyard's in France and Germany and the experience of parking amongst the vines was great. (except for the midges.)
A Chateau in Blaye close to Bordeaux

and one on the Mosel

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2021  ·  #36
Quote by panda

Italy:
I am Italian and I can help.
Greece:
I did the archaeological tour of the Peloponnese twice and I still have some information.
Romania:
I've been there for about a month, as above.
Bulgaria:
I have a trip plan almost ready but still being verified.

Feel free to ask for information

Max

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2021  ·  #37
Quote by mtravel

Quote by panda

Italy:
Greece:
I did the archaeological tour of the Peloponnese twice and I still have some information.
Romania:
I've been there for about a month, as above.
Bulgaria:

Max

Been thinking, dreaming for after Covid-19 of a tour for a few months. Maybe 2022
France > Italy > Greece > Bulgaria > Hungary > Austria > Germany. But I reckon a person would need the company of others for security, at least for eastern parts of the route.

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2021  ·  #38
Quote by baguette

Quote by mtravel

Quote by panda

Italy:
Greece:
Romania:
I've been there for about a month, as

above.
Bulgaria:

Max

Been thinking, dreaming for after Covid-19 of a tour for a few months. Maybe 2022
France > Italy > Greece > Bulgaria > Hungary > Austria > Germany. But I reckon a person would need the company of others for security, at least for eastern parts of the route.

I’ll travel with you if you cover my expenses 🤣🤣🤣

Liked by: ntg, panda, petereire

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2021  ·  #39
Quote by Albert the Talbot

Quote by baguette

Quote by mtravel

Quote by panda

Italy:
Greece:
Romania:
I've been there for about a month, as

above.
Bulgaria:

Max

I’ll travel with you if you cover my expenses 🤣🤣🤣

God loves a trier.😂

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2021  ·  #40
Poor old Albania never gets a look in. It seems people would drive around it to get from Greece to Croatia. It must have something going for it, does it?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.