panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

Re: Parcel Motel ceasing Irish service.

· 
Posted: 18.12.2020  ·  #2
Gas isn't it? They want to break free from Europe...Their biggest trading market with a very wealthy demographic instead to trade with the rest of the world....Dont see many Range Rovers being sold in India or Pakistan next year 🤣🤣🤣

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2020  ·  #3
Parcel motel are not the only ones, the courier franchise we operate in work has pulled the plug on ROI deliveries, we are under no illusion that if the admin costs etc for customs clearance for parcels remains at £35-40 per item then they will pull the plug on the north as well. Who would want to send a £2 packet of screws by courier for what would say normally be £5 for it to then cost upwards of £45-50

Liked by: eirebus, johnnymac

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2020  ·  #4
Yeah, have to agree.
AddressPal from an-post have also announced all UK parcels will go through customs... So you can get that everything will be taxed coming from the UK.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2020  ·  #5
Quote by panda

Gas isn't it? They want to break free from Europe...Their biggest trading market with a very wealthy demographic instead to trade with the rest of the world....Dont see many Range Rovers being sold in India or Pakistan next year 🤣🤣🤣

JLR aka Jaguar Land Rover is already owned by Tata, an Indian conglomerate. Wouldn't be a big leap to see much of its operations 'offshored' if there's going to be tariffs anyway. The biggest remaining British car maker is Metrocab.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2020  ·  #6
Quote by <BM>

Quote by panda

JLR aka Jaguar Land Rover is already owned by Tata, an Indian conglomerate. Wouldn't be a big leap to see much of its operations 'offshored' if there's going to be tariffs anyway. The biggest remaining British car maker is Metrocab.

Yes...I know a great British marque is really owned by Tata....an Indian company.....but how many Indians or Pakistanis can afford a Range Rover is my point?......As opposed to a ready made Affluent neighbouring market like Europe 😉

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2020  ·  #7
I can’t see them flying off the forecourts John, especially under WTO tariffs. It’s hard to know how this all ends.

Liked by: panda

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2020  ·  #8
It’s all to play for fellas.
These things all pan out in the end, money talks.
Remember Europe needs the UK market also. Britain is the biggest single market for German vehicles and lots of other consumer products too, they cannot afford to do without it and won’t be able to absorb tariffs..... hence the talks going on and on and on and on.
It’ll all work out, always does..... the big boys are only carving up the nosh so they can get it put into their own troughs to stick their snouts in later.

Really nothing we as individuals can do nor worry about, life is really to short for this crap as we’ve all found out this year, it really is.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus, ntg, sprinter, The Rambler, +deleted user

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2020  ·  #9
Absolutely Jon.....Its all a political dance....what will be will be.

Interestingly.....I've a good friend who's been living in Belgium for 30 years.....Guess how often Brexit comes up in his day to day life and conversation? A big fat zero....They really dont care about it

Just to edit.....Germany exports more to Netherlands than it does to UK...

Below is a list showcasing 15 of Germany’s top trading partners. That is, countries that imported the most German shipments by dollar value during 2019. Also shown is each import country’s percentage of total German exports.

United States: US$132.8 billion (8.9% of Germany’s total exports)
France: $119.5 billion (8%)
China: $107.5 billion (7.2%)
Netherlands: $93 billion (6.3%)
United Kingdom: $88 billion (5.9%)
Italy: $76.2 billion (5.1%)
Poland: $73.6 billion (5%)
Austria: $70.9 billion (4.8%)
Switzerland: $63.7 billion (4.3%)
Belgium: $51.6 billion (3.5%)
Czech Republic: $49.9 billion (3.4%)
Spain: $49.7 billion (3.3%)
Hungary: $30.1 billion (2%)
Russia: $29.7 billion (2%)
Sweden: $27.8 billion (1.9%)

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2020  ·  #10
Quote by JJF

It’s all to play for fellas.
These things all pan out in the end, money talks.
Remember Europe needs the UK market also. Britain is the biggest single market for German vehicles and lots of other consumer products too, they cannot afford to do without it and won’t be able to absorb tariffs..... hence the talks going on and on and on and on.
It’ll all work out, always does..... the big boys are only carving up the nosh so they can get it put into their own troughs to stick their snouts in later.

Really nothing we as individuals can do nor worry about, life is really to short for this crap as we’ve all found out this year, it really is.

Hear hear. My thoughts exactly

Liked by: ntg

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2020  ·  #11
Quote by panda

Quote by <BM>

Quote by panda

Yes...I know a great British marque is really owned by Tata....an Indian company.....but how many Indians or Pakistanis can afford a Range Rover is my point?......As opposed to a ready made Affluent neighbouring market like Europe 😉

Two things here, the first was the point I was making above, with tarrifs for the EU market and Indian owners, don't be surprised if a significant chunk of JLR production is moved out of Britain, ether to a jurisdiction that can ship across the single market without tarrifs or to one with a much lower cost base, no point in absorbing both tarrifs and a high cost base.

The second thing is that we just don't comprehend the size of the population of India and China. The numbers of potential customers for a company like JLR is huge, relative to JLR production volumes, and growing, The potential for growth its the big thing since Western markets are very much static. They are very much interested in the Indian market, and would be regardless of ownership.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.12.2020  ·  #12
And so it continues, DPD have announced they are suspending operations to NI from 23/12, however sceptical me says that they are taking the chance to furlough staff during the down time for couriers! That way the govt pays

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus, ntg

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.