Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Laptops

· 
Posted: 16.12.2020  ·  #1
I'm in the market for a new laptop and looking for a few opinions and advice. My main use is surfing the net, emails, watching you tube, messing about with photos, writing letters and listening to a bit of music now and then. I'm looking for something inexpensive as I don't need something faster than the speed of light that can distinguish the the various tones of a mouse fart at 100 M. I don't want a tablet or something that only stores everything in the cloud. What would you recommend, new or refurbished, buy local or on line ? What about kits and building your own, anyone done this ? All ideas and opinions welcome.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: Laptops

· 
Posted: 16.12.2020  ·  #2
I would recommend Lenovo for build quality. Going by what you want to use it for, maybe you don’t need a full bloated operating system like Windows. A Chromebook might suit you. They don’t just come in tablet form, you can get a Chromebook laptop.

Such as this Chromebook from Lenovo https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/l…8IPFC51448 with its 13 inch screen.

If you want the more traditional Windows laptop but still looking for slim portability then you have the 14 inch machine from Lenovo.
https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/l…8YGS701396

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2020  ·  #3
Chromebooks aren't much good when not connected to the internet.
If you want a non bloatware type system try Linux Mint, its a really nice and easy to use OS and uses very little memory or power compared to Windows.
Even older laptops can run it very easily so a second hand one with a new SSD would be an excellent solution.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2020  ·  #4
Well you’re right about the Chromebook being very on-line dependent and tied in to Google’s ecosystem. Back to Flipperdipper’s question though. He is looking for new hardware. I would still recommend a 14inch Lenovo. Good quality build, slim and portable. And he can always decide what he wants to run on it, Windows, Linux etc.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2020  ·  #5
I use an Asus for work and have used Dell in the past both did what they had to very well, the only brand that I have had issued with has been HP, between onboard parts needing replaced and power adaptors they were a thing of nightmares.

I would not consider a used one, go new and see what you can get for your budget. Would you consider an Macbook if your budget allowed?

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2020  ·  #6
There's two definitive factors to narrow down your search:

1) Screen size: In laptops this determines pretty much the rest of the machine, for what you mention there, you'd probably want something between14" and 15'6", which are pretty much the standard sizes... if you go either smaller or bigger than that the prices go up quiet quickly as smaller ones are more complicated to make and usually go for super light materials and bigger ones are aimed to gamers and thus more powerful and more expensive... this is a general rule, surely there are exceptions.

2) Budget: Like anything else... what's non-expensive for you? If you go super cheap, you'll end up with the lower end processors and you'll notice very quickly that it'll be so slow that it'll put you off from ever using the device. Try to go with something mid range.

You can go pretty cheap going with Amazon/eBay, but the likes of Currys(PC World) would proably have some pretty decent options but you have the piece of mind of warranty/exchange if there's any issues.

This would be my recommendation for something that will last you a good 5 years, probably not as "inexpensive" as you were hoping but trust me... if you go sub 400, it'll go in the bin 12 months later unless you're a very patience man.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/com…7-pdt.html

Without going too technical, look out for at least 8GB of Memory (RAM), browsers now these days will chew up 4GB. Processor, try for at least an Intel Core I3.

Hope this helps :)

Rami

Grumpy
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: murvi pimento
Base Vehicle: transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2020  ·  #7
+ 1 for Lenovo.
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad R400, which is now 15 years old. It was used in my shop all day 6 days a week. It runs well on the latest Linux Ubuntu OS.
Org. battery and spinning disk. Only upped ram to 16GB (which is its max.).

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2020  ·  #8
Thanks for the replies folks. I was hoping to get something less than €400 with 14" - 15" screen, at the moment I'm using a four year old ASUS that cost over €500 and it's on it's last legs. I'm seriously thinking about going for Linux, fed up with windows and problems. Do any of ye know anything about buying the kits / pieces and building the laptop yourself ? I don't want a Chromebook or Cloudbook. Hopefully there'll be something good on the sales in D.I.D. or P.C.World.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2020  ·  #9
I have an old HP Probook, it must be at least 6 years old at this stage, the HDD was dieing so I replaced it with a SSD and it makes a huge difference to read/write and boot speeds.
Building your own laptop is not for the faint of heart, it can be done but most modern machines are less user friendly than before, Mine has panels that you can remove to replace/upgrade components like RAM and HDD/SSDs. Modern machines mostly have nothing that opens just a plastic one piece bottom.
The 500gb SSD that I bought was something like €50 from Elara. Linux is free to download.
It might be worthwhile downloading Linux and replacing the HDD with an SSD and seeing how that fares for you.
The problem at present is that a lot of people are working from Home and consequently laptops are at a premium at present so €400 is really bottom of the barrel so to speak.
Does it have to be a laptop? just asking because I recently bought a €400 prebuilt PC from Caseking.de based on an AMD integrated graphics chip and I am very impressed with it.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2020  ·  #10
What do you mean by on it's last legs? Following on from bounders post, an SSD and a new battery would probably see the old laptop good as new. There's a lot of cheap crap out there at the low end of the market, you might not end up with anything better than what you have.

Edit: What is the spec or model number on your current machine and maybe we could suggest some upgrades?

Liked by: eirebus

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2020  ·  #11
Quote by <BM>

What do you mean by on it's last legs? Following on from bounders post, an SSD and a new battery would probably see the old laptop good as new. There's a lot of cheap crap out there at the low end of the market, you might not end up with anything better than what you have.

Edit: What is the spec or model number on your current machine and maybe we could suggest some upgrades?

Exactly as BM has just said. There is a lot of crap out there. Jut because you're machine is not performing well does not mean it needs replacing. My place of work were dumping old, as in 10 year old laptops, I asked for one, got it, put in a new SSD hard drive and battery (cheap to buy), installed Linux Ubuntu (free) and it is a completely new machine, perfect for what I want it for such as web surfing, day to day stuff, coding, watching videos etc. Linux is a joy, no longer a developer operating system.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2020  ·  #12
Quote by Stacks

Exactly as BM has just said. There is a lot of crap out there. Jut because you're machine is not performing well does not mean it needs replacing. My place of work were dumping old, as in 10 year old laptops, I asked for one, got it, put in a new SSD hard drive and battery (cheap to buy), installed Linux Ubuntu (free) and it is a completely new machine, perfect for what I want it for such as web surfing, day to day stuff, coding, watching videos etc. Linux is a joy, no longer a developer operating system.

Probably a stupid question, but how did you install Linux when you had no operating system, is there a CD or something

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2020  ·  #13
You can create a booteable CD or USB drive from a Linux ISO. You can even just run Linux straight from a bootable USB stick if you want so that the OS is running entirely from the USB stick. Handy if you want to run Linux from a machine that doesn’t have it installed or you want to just try out.

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2020  ·  #14
Quote by eirebus

Quote by Stacks

Probably a stupid question, but how did you install Linux when you had no operating system, is there a CD or something

Never a stupid question and all that Rambler said. I downloaded the ISO linux file using another desktop machine I have, created a bootable 4GB USB drive and installed it to the USB drive. Then attached my new SSD drive to the laptop, plugged in the 4 GB USB, booted up and installed to the new SSD from there. There is plenty of help online how to do this I found....

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2020  ·  #15
Hats off to all you tech wizards....I'm totally lost trying to understand the lingo but find it very interesting 👍

Liked by: adria, ntg

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2020  ·  #16
A 4 year old laptop should not be causing you problems. I built my second desktop around an ASUS motherboard because everything could be upgraded as the need arose and money was available. It’s amazing the difference more RAM can make (and it’s easy), SDD even more so. It’s unlikely that the CPU needs upgrading after 4 years. Give us the spec.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2020  ·  #17
Thanks, some great info coming in and plenty of food for thought. I have an Asus X541U with intermittent problems which may occur several times a day or it could be days or even weeks without any problems. It drops wireless internet and at other times it shows full internet signal but won't load pages. Screen goes blank but I can still see it on the TV using HDMI cable which is how I turn it off and then restart. When switched on at times there is no wireless icon visible on task bar or in network settings so I turn off and back on several times and eventually it reappears. I had it down with a good computer repairer who got rid of a lot of malware and reinstalled the latest version of windows. He could not get it to recreate any of the faults in the couple of days that he had it. He is happy to keep servicing it for me but says I'll be throwing good money after bad he reckons the hard drive is compromised and will need replacing, and then what else will start to fail. Also the operator is past his sell-by-date and his CPU is not working at the speed it used to. :-)

Device name DESKTOP-G6A26BR
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6006U CPU @ 2.00GHz 1.99 GHz
Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.88 GB usable)
Device ID 93300E62-D70D-4FB1-8594-3F0ED44C7EB5
Product ID 00325-80739-86748-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2020  ·  #18
It sounds to me like Flipperdipper needs a new laptop.

Grumpy
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: murvi pimento
Base Vehicle: transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2020  ·  #19
<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2020  ·  #20
Intermittent faults are a pain in the hole.

When he updated Windows, did he wipe everything and reimage or did he just update it because its not the same thing?

Definitely worth trying some flavour of Linux on a bootable usb, if you see the same issues, it's hardware related but if it runs well on Linux, an SSD and a fresh install of Windows might see you good.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2020  ·  #21
Quote by The Rambler

It sounds to me like Flipperdipper needs a new laptop.

Agreed, how much is a good MacBook these days?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.