Buying in germany then transfer to Austria

Newest members
Subject:

Buying in germany then transfer to Austria

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #1
Hello all we are thinking of buying a chausson 640 titanium premium. It will be our first and hopefully forever camper. We live in Ireland but have a place in Austria that we will be spending a lot more time in covid permitting.
I have a few questions
1. If we buy it in Germany and then transfer it to Austria do we have to pay VAT twice
2. Is there a VRT or equivalent in Austria
3. And then what about registration in Ireland later.
4. We also have been told by an English dealer that the British spec is higher. We can only see an oven which is not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance
Kathleen and Rob

Liked by: bigfoot bair

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Buying in germany then transfer to Austria

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #2
Can you buy the same spec MH in Austria rather than in Germany?
If you are for whatever reason restricted to buying in Germany than a German dealer should be able to advise what needs to be done if importing to Austria, I’d ask a few just to ensure the answers were the same.

As for importing from Austria to Ireland if the MH is more than 6 months old and has more than 6000km on the clock I don’t think you’ll have to pay the vat again (but I’m not sure).

If you were living not holidaying in Austria for 6 months or more you may be to import to Ireland and completing a transfer of residency process which could negate a vrt fee.

Liked by: panda

Newest members
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #3
Thanks for the swift reply, no cannot get in Austria for same price 60,000 vs 78,000. And only one dealership.
Will check out the German dealer.
What if we bought in Germany and registered in Austria. Do we have to stay 6 month in Austria, not sure if that will be ok due to covid

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #4
Vat and vrt are two different processes. When I looked into importing into the uk from Germany a while back I could see there was a legal way to only pay the vat in one county even if the vehicle was brand new but I cannot remember if I had to pay the vat in Germany and then in the uk and get the German vat back or only pay vat in the uk. I did not proceed with the plan, perhaps others here with more knowledge can enlighten you.
Also factor in different countries have different vat rates, uk is 20% I think, Ireland is currently 21% Germany was lower than both.

Newest members
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #5
Yes Germany is 16% would I have to make up the difference

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #6
To escape paying vrt which as you may seen from previous threads is a complete lottery in terms of the amount you will be required to pay as it is based on revenues idea of forecourt price in Ireland (assuming you are in ROI) you have to demonstrate you were living in Austria for at least 6 months and have owned the vehicle for at least 6 months, any time you have spent in Ireland in that period is discounted. You will need Austrian bank account statements, household bills, your original proof of purchase, insurance for the MH in Austria etc etc. Then if you go down this route you’ll need your ferry ticket showing when the vehicle arrived in Ireland you’ll need to book a vrt test at a nct centre you have to book this in 7 days of arrival to Ireland albeit you will have to wait about 4 weeks for the vrt check at the nct centre. You’ll then need to contact revenue and apply for transfer of residency and complete the relevant forms and provide the associated paperwork. IF and that’s a big IF they grant the TOR you get a vrt exemption letter which you take along with many other forms and documentation to the nct centre for its vrt test. This is not a mechanical check. But assuming you get the vrt test done you will get a letter/email etc from revenue via nct with your new registration number. You can then tax the vehicle.

It’s hard and difficult for a reason, to deter people from doing it.

Good luck.

Liked by: Harvey

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #7
The VAT rate in Germany is at 16% temporarily and afaik is due to increase at the end of the year.

Usually if you pay VAT in one EU country you don't have to pay it again when bringing the goods back to your home country.

With the difference in price between the two it looks like there is some kind of VRT type tax in Austria. Make enquiries off the German dealer as there may be a similar tax to add on to the final price, I know that Holland and Spain both have similar style of VRT taxes which are roughly 10% of the list price. You wouldn't want to have to pay that once never mind two or even three times!!

As we cant tell where you are based, if it's the north then beware Brexit as there may be import tariffs as well as VAT bringing things in from the EU

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2020  ·  #8
If u have deep pockets and don’t care then bring it back to irl as they will fleece u good and proper as I already bought the t shirt.
U most likely rarely use it in irl at least I never do ,keep it on export plates leave it off shore for as long as u can
U need to look deeper into it

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.