StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Back to level 3

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #1
Obviously our winter plans have had to change and we are debating what to do with the campsite when we revert to level 3 and when being out and about in your motorhome in your own county may be permitted.
We live on site and we could just stay closed or we could open with all facilities or we could open without the toilets and showers being available.
I’d do a poll for these questions but I’m not that savvy.

Q1 if you are allowed to overnight in your MH in your county would you do so?
Q2 would you only go to wild spots/non campsites?
Q3 we are considering opening and charging €15 per night per MH (irrespective of number of people in the MH) which would include ability to fill with fresh water, emptying grey and black water, free WiFi and 16amp ehu.
Or sticking to our normal charge, €25 for 2 people with ehu and all facilities being open inclusive of showers and toilets. The question being would you prefer a cheaper charge and use your own facilities or pay more for all facilities?

Thanks for reading this.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Back to level 3

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #2
As Q1 does not fully apply to us nordies I can't answer that one
Q2 Depending on location of site I would consider using it, there are never many open during the "closed season" but options are good
Q3 As I have all facilities on board the cheaper option would be preferable. I would think people would expect a warm shower block over the winter period and to make it easier on yourselves I would have them closed.

Unfortunately as I work and only have weekends at the minute your site is a bit far for me, I will get there one day!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Back to level 3

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #3
Q1 Yes.
Q2 No.
Q3 Yes would use the Aire type facility.

Weekend in the same place might go consider a campsite.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #4
I would open as an Aire, I also think that we'll have level 3 but you can travel outside your county, I use places with EHU in winter as solar not enough in winter

Seanjack1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #5
StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #6
Quote by eirebus

I would open as an Aire, I also think that we'll have level 3 but you can travel outside your county, I use places with EHU in winter as solar not enough in winter

I think with cold dark days most would want electric and it’s on every pitch so I would not have to bother about checking everyone’s sense of honesty.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #7
Yes no and yes

Marzypan
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #8
Q1 yes
Q2 no
Q3 Yes to either option. Important to have electricity but would make do.

Cannot wait to get away again.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #9
1. Yes
2.no
3.yes

Comet
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rapido
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #10
Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #11
cowboy70
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Elddis encore 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducat 2.3/ 9 speed auto 140bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #12
Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #13
petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #14
1,yes
2,no
3, would like the option to use all the facilities as we don't have a shower in our van,maybe you could have the option of shower tokens.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #15
adria
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #16
mtrul
My Motorhome: converted
Base Vehicle: renault master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #17
Paul mcg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #18
baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #19
Quote by eirebus

Same here.

On the 16A EHU. Is that just blue sockets or is the actual supply 16 amps. I ask this question because a few years ago at a wintertime club rally on a well known caravanning and camping park a lot of people had high demand stuff running (electric heaters etc.) and the main ESB fuse blow which required a visit from the local ESB Networks guy and he was not at all pleased, particularly so after he was called out a second time for the same reason an hour later as the 'guests' continued to use their stuff ignoring a request from the proprietor not to do so. A wag mentioned that "you could have made toast at the mainboard it was so hot".
That site has 10 amp trips at each outlet so 2kw standalone heaters or the 1.8kw setting on Truma heaters were probably the problem.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #20
1 Yes
2 No
3 Yes
These definitely seem to be the popular choice.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2020  ·  #21
simonjfoley
simonjfoley
My Motorhome: Hymer B654
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #22
sootyrex
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elddis
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #23
StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #24
each individual hook up is 16 amps.
When I put the 3 phase electric supply to the campsite I did so because having stayed on far too many sites with 6 amp or 10 amp supply where the site owners often go to great lengths explaining what this means in limiting the use of electrical equipment there’s always a camper that “forgets” and trips the power. I have also been on sites where the power trips every morning around cup of tea time and in the evenings when cooking commences.

I know how frustrating this is if you suddenly loose all power to your mh, initial thoughts are it’s your own van. Then you realise it’s the supply which is often inaccessible.

I don’t want random calls to reset trips.

People have still managed to trip the power here but it’s always been a faulty device or a fault on their side.

16 amps is much less hassle for me and for the campers across the site.

Same here.

On the 16A EHU. Is that just blue sockets or is the actual supply 16 amps. I ask this question because a few years ago at a wintertime club rally on a well known caravanning and camping park a lot of people had high demand stuff running (electric heaters etc.) and the main ESB fuse blow which required a visit from the local ESB Networks guy and he was not at all pleased, particularly so after he was called out a second time for the same reason an hour later as the 'guests' continued to use their stuff ignoring a request from the proprietor not to do so. A wag mentioned that "you could have made toast at the mainboard it was so hot".
That site has 10 amp trips at each outlet so 2kw standalone heaters or the 1.8kw setting on Truma heaters were probably the problem.

Liked by: petereire, +deleted user

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #25
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Obviously our winter plans have had to change and we are debating what to do with the campsite when we revert to level 3 and when being out and about in your motorhome in your own county may be permitted.
We live on site and we could just stay closed or we could open with all facilities or we could open without the toilets and showers being available.
I’d do a poll for these questions but I’m not that savvy.

Q1 if you are allowed to overnight in your MH in your county would you do so? YES
Q2 would you only go to wild spots/non campsites? NO
Q3 we are considering opening and charging €15 per night per MH (irrespective of number of people in the MH) which would include ability to fill with fresh water, emptying grey and black water, free WiFi and 16amp ehu. YES
Or sticking to our normal charge, €25 for 2 people with ehu and all facilities being open inclusive of showers and toilets. The question being would you prefer a cheaper charge and use your own facilities or pay more for all facilities? YES

Thanks for reading this.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #26
EHU not helped when wife decides to buy a " pretty" electric kettle for a trip to France, EHU tripped a couple of times and on investigating problem, it turns out the "pretty" kettle was 3kw, I got alot of exercise walking around un tripping switches that year 😁😅

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #27
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

each individual hook up is 16 amps.
When I put the 3 phase electric supply to the campsite I did so because having stayed on far too many sites with 6 amp or 10 amp supply where the site owners often go to great lengths explaining what this means in limiting the use of electrical equipment there’s always a camper that “forgets” and trips the power. I have also been on sites where the power trips every morning around cup of tea time and in the evenings when cooking commences.

I know how frustrating this is if you suddenly loose all power to your mh, initial thoughts are it’s your own van. Then you realise it’s the supply which is often inaccessible.

I don’t want random calls to reset trips.

People have still managed to trip the power here but it’s always been a faulty device or a fault on their side.

16 amps is much less hassle for me and for the campers across the site.

Same here.

Apologies for going a bit off-topic.
Your comment "I know how frustrating this is if you suddenly loose all power to your mh, initial thoughts are it’s your own van. Then you realise it’s the supply which is often inaccessible" seems to indicate that there are not individual MCB's at each socket. Personally, we have never had a problem with 6 or 10 amp MCB's, even 4 amp ones found on some continental sites. I know it's a bit of a pain having to reset the MCB if accidentally tripped but on the other side, it probably helps to keep the cost down as the site owner doesn't need to invest in a mega supply to the site.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #28
in my case each ehu socket has an accessible trip switch but I have found many sites in England, Germany, Spain and Portugal where the sockets are in locked cupboards and you need a member of staff to open the cupboard to plug in and to plug out and if you one of your fellow campers trip the supply you have to get a staff member out.

Yes you are correct it is marginally more expensive installing/having 16amp than 10amp but I prefer to allow for the person whose wife brought a 3kw kettle and likes a cup of tea while drying her hair.
If I had 10amp or 6amp people would probably use the same amount of electricity but one electrical device at a time.

I charge €3 per night for ehu, on average I don’t make a loss or profit I’m happy with charging a reasonable amount for a decent supply.

Apologies for going a bit off-topic.
Your comment "I know how frustrating this is if you suddenly loose all power to your mh, initial thoughts are it’s your own van. Then you realise it’s the supply which is often inaccessible" seems to indicate that there are not individual MCB's at each socket. Personally, we have never had a problem with 6 or 10 amp MCB's, even 4 amp ones found on some continental sites. I know it's a bit of a pain having to reset the MCB if accidentally tripped but on the other side, it probably helps to keep the cost down as the site owner doesn't need to invest in a mega supply to the site.

Liked by: Marzypan, Paul mcg

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #29
Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #30
Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #31
Wiring regs now state that each supply to caravan/ Motorhome/ mobile home, must have a 30 amp rcd/ rcbo on the supply side of the cable , as well as in the cabinets or in the vans. We have disputed this to no avail, to allow us put in time delay ones, so going forward it is going to be a right pita for campsite owners as if there is any earth leakage it will generally be the furthest one out that will trip, instead of in the cabinet/van.
Note: this is only an issue with earth leakage, not overloading

Paul mcg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #32
Quote by Daffysparks

Wiring regs now state that each supply to caravan/ Motorhome/ mobile home, must have a 30 amp rcd/ rcbo on the supply side of the cable , as well as in the cabinets or in the vans. We have disputed this to no avail, to allow us put in time delay ones, so going forward it is going to be a right pita for campsite owners as if there is any earth leakage it will generally be the furthest one out that will trip, instead of in the cabinet/van.

I was on the Valentia island campsite in September and hooked up put the kettle on and it tripped. I thought it was just our pitch but it was the full site. I had to call the owner he was just up the road thank God he came down and flicked what he thought was the problem switch but it was still out he then found it was an earth trip switch? He was very surprised he said the base of the kettle must have had water on it he was right. He wired the site he said he was a electrician. Not a nice position to be in at dinner time. 😢 The kettle was quickly recycled

Liked by: StrandCampingDoonbeg, +deleted user

GoMcKeogh
My Motorhome: Hobby T600FC
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #33
Q1 - Yes would definitely overnight if allowed to do so.
Q2 - We are new to this so would prefer a campsite.
Q3 - Both options are good once it is well known in advance. I would prefer if staying for a weekend to have showers/toilets open.

Unfortunately we live in Louth so bit of a treck for us but hope to visit when allowed.

Keep safe :-)

foxbat1
Subject:

Great idea

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #34
baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #35
Quote by Daffysparks

How does that square with the fact that caravans and motorhomes are manufactured with connection sockets rated to 16 amps as original equipment.

fork
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #36
1) Definitely, Only waiting for level 3 and GONE. In county
2) Mostly wild.
3) Probably not/maybe

My answers aren't the popular answers but I'm just thinking of the practicalities of using a campsite in general and especially in low season when (hopefully) most of us are working.
So can I ask a question bearing in mind that you of course have a business to run.
Because it's winter, I'm guessing that a lot of your customers will be a 3/4 hours distance from you including me and going for 1 to 2 nights but mainly 1 per site
For example, I can't come to your campsite a on a friday until 8 pm after work and having to leave at 11 am on saturday morning, leaves me about 5 hours in your campsite,that I'm awake.
A later checkout would give me more time in the locality.

Would it work for you to change the check in/check out time so that people could arrive in the evening and leave late afternoon the following day?.

Comet
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rapido
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2020  ·  #37
That 30Amp supply is more likely a 30mAmp RCD/RCBO which is the standard earth leakage circuit breaker for pretty well most outlets.

Liked by: +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #38
Quote by baguette

Quote by Daffysparks

How does that square with the fact that caravans and motorhomes are manufactured with connection sockets rated to 16 amps as original equipment.

Sorry. Typo. 30 mA rcd/rcbo. Nothing to do with the loading. It could be a 6, 10, 16, or 20 amp supply. Purely to do with earth leakage

Liked by: baguette

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #39
Quote by Comet

That 30Amp supply is more likely a 30mAmp RCD/RCBO which is the standard earth leakage circuit breaker for pretty well most outlets.

Correct as I just posted. 30 mAmp. Damn auto correct

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #40
Interesting questions, thank you.
The current suggestion is that when ROI lift the level 5 travel will still be restricted to within your own county which would make my site a 90 minute drive in the slowest camper from any edge of Clare.

As a campsite we operate arrive from 12 noon and depart by 12 noon. This last summer when we were at capacity we needed to be strict about timings as our pitch types are not suitable for all types of camping units and we had people arrive at 12 noon only to find their pitch was still occupied by someone who should have left. When we are quiet we can be more flexible about departure time.

Many Aires operate on a 24 hr stay basis with no set departure or arrival time. I think if we were to operate as an Aire we would not be anything like full over the winter and we would definitely consider €15 for up to 24 hrs at a time. I would still have a last time of entry probably around 8.30 or 9pm.

Quote by fork

1) Definitely, Only waiting for level 3 and GONE. In county
2) Mostly wild.
3) Probably not/maybe

My answers aren't the popular answers but I'm just thinking of the practicalities of using a campsite in general and especially in low season when (hopefully) most of us are working.
So can I ask a question bearing in mind that you of course have a business to run.
Because it's winter, I'm guessing that a lot of your customers will be a 3/4 hours distance from you including me and going for 1 to 2 nights but mainly 1 per site
For example, I can't come to your campsite a on a friday until 8 pm after work and having to leave at 11 am on saturday morning, leaves me about 5 hours in your campsite,that I'm awake.
A later checkout would give me more time in the locality.

Would it work for you to change the check in/check out time so that people could arrive in the evening and leave late afternoon the following day?.

Liked by: adria, sprinter, TippOff, +deleted user

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.