Winter upgrading.

PG trips
Craic'er
Subject:

Winter upgrading.

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #1
New to motor-homing this year. Thought I would use the winter to get some upgrades to my Carado. Any views?

1.Gaslow LPG...mostly with Europe in mind next year. Does it save much weight over Calor, replacing two 11kg bottles? LPG access in ROI seems quite sparse?

2. Solar panels.. can see the benefits where the sun shines but £500 installation for maybe 4_6 weeks in Europe each year seems a bit excessive unless the panels were also useful in Ireland/UK where sun is less predictable?

3. Leisure battery. MH is only 4 years old but I don’t want the risk of the leisure battery running out...should I buy a replacement anyway?

4. Have new graphics being fitted today as existing damaged on one side. What could I use to protect them?

Thanks for your views in anticipation.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

Re: Winter upgrading.

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #2
Hi and welcome!

I looked into getting underslung LPG tank but decided it wasnt worth the bother with filling stations getting more sparse in Ireland and UK.... Fine in Europe.

Solar panels are one of the best upgrades you can do. Try to fit the largest panel/panels you can. I have a single 300 watt panel and even in winter performs very well...Even on cloudy days you will be getting energy from the available light. Recommend a decent MPPT Controller.

4 year old leisure battery?....If getting Solar would be a good idea to get 2 new matched leisure batteriess for sure or keep using the one you have till it dies....Dont worry, you will get plenty of warning before it dies completely.

There is nothing I know of that protects Decals, I work in the Body/Paint repair but would be best to ask whoever is fitting Decals as there may be something.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #3
Quote by PG trips

New to motor-homing this year. Thought I would use the winter to get some upgrades to my Carado. Any views?

1.Gaslow LPG...mostly with Europe in mind next year. Does it save much weight over Calor, replacing two 11kg bottles? LPG access in ROI seems quite sparse? A bit of weight saving, more the saving in the price of gas along with not having to take bottles in and out of the van, I have a Gasit 11kg and a standard 6kg calor as a backup

2. Solar panels.. can see the benefits where the sun shines but £500 installation for maybe 4_6 weeks in Europe each year seems a bit excessive unless the panels were also useful in Ireland/UK where sun is less predictable? Shop around as the kits are available from around £150 for a panel, controller etc. Not a difficult job to do yourself but price around. Solar helps keep the batteries in shape all year round but at this time of year in sunny Ireland (joke) you would need bigger wattage panels

3. Leisure battery. MH is only 4 years old but I don’t want the risk of the leisure battery running out...should I buy a replacement anyway? If adding an extra battery you would be better changing both. The more battery power you have the longer you can stay off grid

4. Have new graphics being fitted today as existing damaged on one side. What could I use to protect them? Depends on the type of damage, if its just minor scrapes you can buff them out with polish.

Thanks for your views in anticipation.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #4
I have 2 gasit refillable 11kg (approx) cylinders, but as I live in N. Ireland we still have an adequate filling stations. We travel for up to 8 weeks at a time in France/Spain so refillable are a necessity. However if I was starting again I would install one gasit/gaslow 11kg and one Calor. Best of both worlds since I could simply use the refillable 99% of the time and switch to Calor for the short periods until I came across an Autogas station.

I have a 100 watt solar and a 90 amp Varta battery which is now entering year 6. The 100 watt supplies all of our needs in summer home or abroad, but at this time of the year by late evening the battery is heading for 12.5 volts and below. Usually we get sufficient to lift us for the next night. But I think that is more to do with the age of battery whose efficiency is beginning to decline. I certainly have it on my list of upcoming expenses. My van is totally LED, we use the tv to play a dvd or 2 and the heating requires some current as it is blown air. It is the variable in our use as you can imagine.

As an aside I posted recently on a forum that my top 3 accessories are Solar, refillable gas cylinders and a Silverscreen (brand) external cover for the windscreen.

Davy

Liked by: petereire, sprinter

Europa
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #5
A number of year ago I replaced two German gas cyls. with a Gaslow refillable cyl. Result, reduced weight and increased storage space, gas cost halved, no changing heavy cyls. When going abroad no unnecessary worry about refilling ( Just have the correct adapter for the country you are visiting) and visit myLPG.eu app to find available filling stations.
A solar panel gives freedom to park where ever you choose when no hookup is available.
When making your decision, the resultant convenience should outweigh the initial cost.
Best of luck and many happy years of safe travels.

Liked by: eirebus, petereire

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #6
It really depends on how you intend to use your MH. If you intend to only or predominantly stay on campsites either in Ireland or Europe then gas low is a convenience but an expensive one as two normal 11kg bottles will last months if you’re hooked up on a campsite, using their hot water and perhaps a small fan heater.

Likewise the only benefit of solar if you mainly use sites could be if you link it to a battery master to keep engine and habitation batteries charged if your van is parked on your drive or other outside storage solution. If you mainly use sites but might stay in your van every now and again not on a site then 2 matching leisure batteries would be more cost effective than solar.

But I would say if you intend to stay not on sites on a regular basis especially in mainland Europe that refillable gas bottles give you so much more flexibility and they can be removed if you sell your van.

Solar and one or 2 leisure batteries gives days/weeks of no electric hook up being required and with some sites in Ireland charging €5 per night extra for hook up you could get back the cost of the solar in a year or two and have far greater choice on where to stay.

I hope this post and the other posts on this thread help you going forward.

Liked by: sprinter

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #7
Refillable LPG bottles.
With two 11Kg cylinders, on average, in the summer you can do 21 days of wild camp in the hot Andalusia.
Better to have a set of adapters for national standards.
For example, Truma has all possible combinations in its catalog.
If you run out of gas you can buy (or rent) one bottle in the country where you are.
That said, check where the refillable ones are legal.
Certainly in Germany, yes and no in Italy, it depends on the distributor.
Yes in France but for example Total recently decided not to fill them in its stations anymore. And if the big brands start ...

Solar:
£ 500 for a panel seems like a lot to me, perhaps a fair price if it includes a good MPPT controller and mounting.
In any case, residential panels usually cost much less than "motorhome" panels.
The panel practically does not work when it is needed (winter) and gives its maximum when it is used for little (summer).

Battery.
Four years is a few or many, it depends on how it has been used (deep discharges, etc.).
I would start with the current one, should it die, buy another one in any brico center.

New graphics.
I don't know how to help you.

Max

PG trips
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #8
Thanks everyone. On gas was now thinking one 11kg and maybe keep a 6kg calor for flexibility. Case for solar seems a very bright idea (pun for fun). Will shop around for prices, I’m in County Down. Battery.. dealer told me two batteries only good idea if you have either solar or do largish mileages. Think I’ll buy an exact match battery as a spare, though it’s a bit of a nuisance to change as existing battery is under the seat....good thinking Mr Carado???!. New graphics going on today, phone call this pm to say a lot more work to get the old ones off. Incidentally Davy where did you get your gas installed ...in NI?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Winter upgrading.

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #9
Quote by PG trips

Thanks everyone. On gas was now thinking one 11kg and maybe keep a 6kg calor for flexibility. Case for solar seems a very bright idea (pun for fun). Will shop around for prices, I’m in County Down. Battery.. dealer told me two batteries only good idea if you have either solar or do largish mileages. Think I’ll buy an exact match battery as a spare, though it’s a bit of a nuisance to change as existing battery is under the seat....good thinking Mr Carado???!. New graphics going on today, phone call this pm to say a lot more work to get the old ones off. Incidentally Davy where did you get your gas installed ...in NI?

Don't connect /mix. a new and an old battery together.

Liked by: baguette, eirebus

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #10
My gasit was installed by Donagheys when I was buying the van but installation is not necessarily difficult and many self fit and get a friendly gas fitter to test it.

http://www.gasit.co.uk/gas-it-dealer-network.html

I have no experience of either of the two firms on the map.

Hamilton gas in Bangor sell Gaslow at competitive prices although gaslow is more expensive than gasit.

https://gasproducts.co.uk/cata…w+cylinder

As you are in Co Down then the obvious company for supply and install is Simon at leisuretechnicalsolutions who is on the Moira road Lisburn in Knockmore industrial estate. Good quality work at sensible prices.

https://www.leisuretechnicalsolutions.co.uk/

They also install solar panels, he installed mine some ten years ago on our previous van. If you do go down the solar route, then future-proof your system by installing a regulator that can cope with the different charge rates needed by Lithium batteries which are getting more affordable by the year.

https://www.alpha-batteries.co…4-battery/

The cost of 2 good quality Varta batteries is about £356 These would supply the same amps as 1 lithium at 4 times the weight.

https://www.alpha-batteries.co…tery-la95/

I would nearly go for it except I reckon I need to upgrade the regulator making it not viable yet, but since you are starting from scratch it would make sense to have the right controllers in place for the future. If solar and Lithium appeal, make sure you do some research, be wary of firms stating lithium is a drop in. It is a bit more complex than that.

Davy

Liked by: PG trips, sprinter

PG trips
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #11
Thanks for the advice. Hamilton’s don’t install on motorhomes, probably going to use M&E Hillsborough who helped me out with a problem when I just purchased MH (unlike Donagheys who couldn’t have been more unhelpful, on the service/parts side). Decent batteries and solar seem to go hand in hand....guess what I am going to ask Santa for.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #12
I had Had Gaslow and solar panel fitted by Simon at Leisure Technical, couldn't fault him, great job. I believe he works out of Lisburn, so not too far from Hillsborough.

Liked by: ntg

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #13
Quote by mtravel

That said, check where the refillable ones are legal.
Certainly in Germany, yes and no in Italy, it depends on the distributor.
Yes in France but for example Total recently decided not to fill them in its stations anymore................................

I don't know about other brands but Gaslow refillable bottles are certified R67 which makes them fully legal as fixed refillable tanks.
To avoid and unnecessary confusion or adverse reaction at a filling station it is best to have an external filling point so the gas locker doesn't need to be opened.

PG trips
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2020  ·  #14
Got new graphics put on today, full replacement £500. Installer recommended good quality wax for protection of vinyls and obviously never use power hoses and mild detergent only for general external washing. Onto gas then solar upgrades over the winter I think.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2020  ·  #15
Quote by PG trips

Got new graphics put on today, full replacement £500. Installer recommended good quality wax for protection of vinyls and obviously never use power hoses and mild detergent only for general external washing. Onto gas then solar upgrades over the winter I think.

Would be great if you could put on some pictures of the new graphics.. would love to see them.👍

Liked by: PG trips

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2020  ·  #16
Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2020  ·  #17
I can hardly see mine the green algae camouflages it well. :(

Liked by: Harvey, panda, +deleted user

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2020  ·  #18
Took mine a spin around the North Coast, 120 miles just to keep it turned over. I only saw 2 other vans.

Liked by: GMAC, panda

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Winter upgrading.

· 
Posted: 13.11.2020  ·  #19
I think my sprinter is in heat :o there is another van in the yard since last Sunday, I've tried hunting it out but it won't go. >_<

Liked by: GMAC, panda, +deleted user

Paul mcg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2020  ·  #20
Can't wait to go bring on December 1st

Liked by: panda, sprinter, +deleted user

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.