Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Ferries to France

· 
Posted: 06.11.2020  ·  #1
It appears that Irish ferries and Stena have reached an agreement to provide a daily service from Ireland to France. Aimed at ensuring continuity of travel for freight after the end of the transition of the Uk departure, each company will provide a service on alternate days and to ensure fairness the days will be alternated every other week. See the link for more details.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/iris…y-service/

I assume this is why Irish ferries have not released dates beyond the end of January.

Hopefully 2021 will be a better year for motorhoming and we can take advantage of travel to the continent, or even over the border.

Davy

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Ferries to France

· 
Posted: 06.11.2020  ·  #2
I bet that they also had a chat about the prices that they would be charging.
No doubt they will not be undercutting each other.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2020  ·  #3
I have absolutely no doubt your cynicism is justified. Look at the N. Ireland/Scotland routes. I do have to say though that every year for the last 10 years Irish ferries have been cheaper than the Stena alternative on the France run for my van.
I have a 2020 trip with Irish ferries carried over to 2021. I am waiting with bated breath to see how far the money I paid will stretch next year with pretty much the same dates etc. I am not optimistic.

Davy

Liked by: GMAC, ntg, sprinter

petereire
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: autoquest 270
Base Vehicle: Talbot express
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2020  ·  #4
would you mind if i asked how much for example it was in 2019,might give the guys a ballpark :)

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2020  ·  #5
This is the figure for my late summer trip 2020. €678 which was for Irish ferries, 7 metre van with 2 adults and a 2 berth cabin with window. The outbound date was to be 16th August which was the first suitable date after the high season price finished. We were due back 23rd September.

I had a refund for the early 2020 France trip so had only paid €100 deposit at that point. If I remember the cost was about €500 going out early May and returning late June.

As I said previously, for whatever reason Irish ferries are cheapest for me although many find Stena cheaper. I also prefer the larger boat and the overnight sailing is more time efficient in my view. Depart 4 pm approx, watch departure down the Liffey, visit the shop and walk around. Dinner and before you know it bed time. Next morning, waken, breakfast and on deck to watch arrival in Cherbourg and off the boat around 11 am.

Davy

Liked by: baguette, petereire

petereire
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: autoquest 270
Base Vehicle: Talbot express
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2020  ·  #6
thanks for the info:)

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Ferries to France

· 
Posted: 06.11.2020  ·  #7
Quote by Davy

It appears that Irish ferries and Stena have reached an agreement to provide a daily service from Ireland to France.

Davy

It should read ( they have reached an agreement ) that since they have us over the barrel they may as well take it in turns to F##k us and save themselves fuel into the bargain.

COMPETITION ????????????
which Hole has the minister for transport disappeared into this time?.

Liked by: glastry, ntg

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2020  ·  #8
As Davy has said I always found Irish Ferries sailing times were better and prices too. Unfortunately as has been said I've no doubt we are going to be really screwed on price next year.

Liked by: ntg

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2020  ·  #9
Quote by GMAC

As Davy has said I always found Irish Ferries sailing times were better and prices too. Unfortunately as has been said I've no doubt we are going to be really screwed on price next year.

I don't think you need worry too much about next year's ferry prices as its probably going to be another staycation year, hope I'm wrong though

Liked by: GMAC

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2020  ·  #10
The way I look at it is,
If its a rip off don't pay it, If enough don't pay they will cop on and make the price reasonable,

I still think Michael o Leary should buy a ferry for the Craic 😂

Liked by: eirebus

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2020  ·  #11
Hopefully, in the background the Irish Government has prepared a position to tap into the EU Connecting Europe Facility to keep us efficiently connected to Europe after Brexit.
The grant aid available should be reflected in lower/reasonable connection prices.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2020  ·  #12
Government
Prepared
Efficiently
Lower prices

Should this not be in the joke section 😁😁

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

Future ferry prices?

· 
Posted: 07.11.2020  ·  #13
Quote by eirebus

Quote by GMAC

I don't think you need worry too much about next year's ferry prices as its probably going to be another staycation year, hope I'm wrong though

Not going to worry about the future price - I am a bit concerned that Irish ferry's will not give back my money!
We cancelled a booking which we made in February this year, and despite having paid for a "flexible " ticket ,they have refused a refund.
I see that they changed the rules since then but it does not seem reasonable that they can change the rule retrospectively?
Has anyone had a refund for an old booking?

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2020  ·  #14
Yes. I got a refund from Irish ferries for my early trip of this year due to sail 2nd May and return 25th June . I had booked sometime late 2019 and paid the €100 deposit which included the flexibility option.

When it became obvious that it was not likely to happen I made sure I applied for the refund before the 42 days before departure date. As I am sure you are aware there is a sliding scale of refund as the date of sailing approaches. This scale is more ‘generous’ than the refunds without flexibility.

I received a refund on 16th March of €64. Being the €100 less the flexibility option. This theoretically was a 100% refund.

We had a late season trip booked (16th Aug to 23rd September) which I was hopeful might go ahead, so I held on till the last moment when the UK government advised against travel to France. To have asked for a refund at that late stage would have only repaid me 25% if memory is correct. I therefore transferred the booking (at no cost) to 2021. I have to contact them before the end of December to arrange 2021 dates. Wether the transfer will cover the full cost of a new booking will depend on time of travel, inflation and whatever other increase Irish ferries impose.

Transfer of the second booking was the obvious way to proceed to minimise loss as (like airlines) the ferry was still running. The fact that every year we use Irish ferries means I can still use the booking, even if I have to convert it to a booking to GB if staycations are still the only ‘safe’ option.

Davy

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2020  ·  #15
We cancelled just before the balance for Irish Ferries was due, we had flexible option. Of the €100 deposit we got €70 back, they kept the €30 the cost of flexible option.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2020  ·  #16
Ditto for us. With Stena. But for sure I’ll be on the boat next year if given the slightest glimpse of the possibility

Liked by: GMAC

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2020  ·  #17
Quote by Daffysparks

Ditto for us. With Stena. But for sure I’ll be on the boat next year if given the slightest glimpse of the possibility

Absolutely with you there Daffy. Any chance and hopefully at some stage will be on the ferry next year to France for some of that great vino at excellent prices🍾🥂🍾

Liked by: +deleted user

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

Refunds from Irish ferries

· 
Posted: 12.11.2020  ·  #18
Quote by Davy

Yes. I got a refund from Irish ferries for my early trip of this year due to sail 2nd May and return 25th June . I had booked sometime late 2019 and paid the €100 deposit which included the flexibility option.

When it became obvious that it was not likely to happen I made sure I applied for the refund before the 42 days before departure date. As I am sure you are aware there is a sliding scale of refund as the date of sailing approaches. This scale is more ‘generous’ than the refunds without flexibility.

I received a refund on 16th March of €64. Being the €100 less the flexibility option. This theoretically was a 100% refund.

We had a late season trip booked (16th Aug to 23rd September) which I was hopeful might go ahead, so I held on till the last moment when the UK government advised against travel to France. To have asked for a refund at that late stage would have only repaid me 25% if memory is correct. I therefore transferred the booking (at no cost) to 2021. I have to contact them before the end of December to arrange 2021 dates. Wether the transfer will cover the full cost of a new booking will depend on time of travel, inflation and whatever other increase Irish ferries impose.

Transfer of the second booking was the obvious way to proceed to minimise loss as (like airlines) the ferry was still running. The fact that every year we use Irish ferries means I can still use the booking, even if I have to convert it to a booking to GB if staycations are still the only ‘safe’ option.

Davy

Thanks for that Davy and co.,we have realised that its better financially to accept that "letting" the ferry company hold the ferry fare is probably the best option.
They do appear to have changed the rules that applied to flexible bookings ,(booking made in February 2020), and I do think there has been a bit of untruthfulness from their Customer services.
The write ups in the like of "Trust Pilot " are a bit shocking , let's hope we can use their services in the coming year.
Looking forward to renewed travel, ....

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.