StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Ferry from Rosslare to Bilbao booked for today

· 
Posted: 28.10.2020  ·  #1
I was due on the ferry this morning but looking at the sea from my lounge I don’t think it would have been a nice journey. Plus Bilbao has a travel restriction which would prevent me from leave the county even if I had arrived until at least the 9 of November.
A while back I deferred the sailing until 11 November (done over the phone with Brittany Ferries no hassle no extra charge) then on 6 October we went into lock down until early December at least so I moved the sailing to December again easy and no charge. But when level 5 ceases we are probably going to be back to level three preventing out of home county travel so might be putting back the sailing again.
Oddly enough everyone I have seen (from a safe distance) in the village are surprised that we are not traveling at present as they didn’t think the 5km restrictions would apply to going abroad.

Liked by: Marzypan

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Ferry from Rosslare to Bilbao booked for today

· 
Posted: 28.10.2020  ·  #2
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Oddly enough everyone I have seen (from a safe distance) in the village are surprised that we are not traveling at present as they didn’t think the 5km restrictions would apply to going abroad.

You’re only supposed to go abroad if its strictly necessary, then the 5km rule wouldn't apply

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2020  ·  #3

I was due on the ferry this morning but looking at the sea from my lounge I don’t think it would have been a nice journey. Plus Bilbao has a travel restriction which would prevent me from leave the county even if I had arrived until at least the 9 of November.
A while back I deferred the sailing until 11 November (done over the phone with Brittany Ferries no hassle no extra charge) then on 6 October we went into lock down until early December at least so I moved the sailing to December again easy and no charge. But when level 5 ceases we are probably going to be back to level three preventing out of home county travel so might be putting back the sailing again.

Read in Portugal News today that Portugal are not closing their borders with Spain
.Plenty of motor homes driving around Algarve and the aires that i have passed in the last few weeks seem full.
There's a lockdown here from the 30th of October until 3rd November to cover holiday weekend and from today on masks must be worn everywhere including outside for the next 70 days

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2020  ·  #4
There are quite a few leaving England at the minute heading to Europe, but you would need to be very very keen I think

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2020  ·  #5
Quote by relay racer

There are quite a few leaving England at the minute heading to Europe, but you would need to be very very keen I think

As well as quick seeing as France has imposed a lock down!!

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2020  ·  #6
That doesn’t sound like a getaway to me. Spain with over a million cases to date are hitting 50,000 new cases a day. There hospitals will be at capacity in no time. There’s few places you can get to and what happens if you are struck down with the virus?

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2020  ·  #7
Quote by The Rambler

That doesn’t sound like a getaway to me. Spain with over a million cases to date are hitting 50,000 new cases a day. There hospitals will be at capacity in no time. There’s few places you can get to and what happens if you are struck down with the virus?

Spain like many (far too many) countries are experiencing the “second wave” they are introducing extensive travel restrictions, curfews and other measures to try to get a grip on the situation. Are they winning? No not at present. Hence why I have postponed my crossing twice (so far). I am not a subscriber to the herd immunity theory and I’m not convinced a vaccine will be available and or effective any time soon. Is the answer locking ourselves up for 6 weeks, release, relapse and repeat? My gut feeling is that after Christmas our numbers will be highest we have seen to date, I hope I am wrong.
I also agree with your comment about what happens if abroad we are struck down with the virus and yes that is a huge concern.
I also fully appreciate that staying in my house, restricting contact and movement is safer for me and others than traveling on a ferry, driving around Spain and Portugal irrespective of how much or little contact I have with others. So for the mean time I will behave and do the unselfish thing and enjoy the ever changing View from my lounge window and plan for better times.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2020  ·  #8
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Ferry from Rosslare to Bilbao booked for today

· 
Posted: 29.10.2020  ·  #9

Quote by The Rambler

Spain like many (far too many) countries are experiencing the “second wave” they are introducing extensive travel restrictions, curfews and other measures to try to get a grip on the situation. Are they winning? No not at present. Hence why I have postponed my crossing twice (so far). I am not a subscriber to the herd immunity theory and I’m not convinced a vaccine will be available and or effective any time soon. Is the answer locking ourselves up for 6 weeks, release, relapse and repeat? My gut feeling is that after Christmas our numbers will be highest we have seen to date, I hope I am wrong.
I also agree with your comment about what happens if abroad we are struck down with the virus and yes that is a huge concern.
I also fully appreciate that staying in my house, restricting contact and movement is safer for me and others than traveling on a ferry, driving around Spain and Portugal irrespective of how much or little contact I have with others. So for the mean time I will behave and do the unselfish thing and enjoy the ever changing View from my lounge window and plan for better times.

You could always park on a different pitch every few days, that would get you through at least a month. ;-)

samih
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Red bus (getting there)
Base Vehicle: Sprinter 313 CDi LWB '14
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.10.2020  ·  #10
Friend of mine was stuck in a locked car park in South of France earlier this year. Paths were closed, nearby beach was off limits. His nearest small grocery store was miles away and his bike had a flat tire with no repair kit. He didn't much enjoy it.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.